Online now
Online now

Training cats

skyrich​(dom male){rottenbrat}
3 years ago • Apr 6, 2020

Training cats

Almost anyone can train a dog to sit on command. You say, "sit", while simultaneously pushing his rump to the ground, and holding up his muzzle. Then you give him a treat. repeat this a few times and within in a day or two, (depending on how much effort you put in), the dog gets the idea and will sit on command.

You try this with a cat, and I can guarantee two things:
1. The cat will *NOT* learn to sit on command; and
2. You will most likely draw back a bloody stump where your hand used to be.

Training cats is a far more interactive and cooperative experience. It took me nearly 8 months to train one cat just to sit on command. I did it by patiently watching him, waiting for when he was ready to sit on his own, and simply said: "sit", while simultaneously using a gesture, (the gesture so that I could silently tell him to sit as well.) When he sat, he got a treat. I had to be patient, and observant. The bonus was that once he started doing it, his two sisters saw it, and started doing it for themselves in order to get their treats too. And, once they all learned to sit, it was easier to train them to do other tricks as well.

Now, all three of them will perform various tricks via vocal or gestural command. They learned that when they do these behaviors they get rewarded. Arguably, I've also been trained to give them treats when they perform these behaviors as well. icon_smile.gif This is what I mean by a cooperative and interactive experience. They learned to trust that they would get a treat if they performed as expected.

Training a submissive is similar. The heavy-handed approach usually doesn't work, or doesn't last. What matters is consistent effort, patience and observation. Yes, punishment is sometimes required in order to correct bad behavior. But rewarding good behaviors is *FAR MORE IMPORTANT*
    The most loved post in topic
Miki
Miki • Apr 6, 2020
Let me cave to the stereotype Asian...

You No Pick Cat. Cat Pick You, Grasshopper!!!!!!!
Miki wrote:
You No Pick Cat. Cat Pick You, Grasshopper!!!!!!!

~chuckle~ Quite correct, and the same applies to the submissive as well. I may desire her and hunt her, but ultimately, she must choose me.
Miki
Miki • Apr 6, 2020
In a word.. or 2.. Yes, and yes.

The trick with our Feline Friends.. is to let. them think they're the boss. With doms and tops, (2 legged creatures)- well, they are in control of me.

Seriously, though, I had been to house parties and the like, (back when the world was normal) where there was a cat or 2 around, and the ones who fawned all over them, trying to get them to come and sit.. failed. I mostly ignored them (I like cats but know how to deal with them) -- and they crawled into my lap, gave me the soft mittens (No claws, just paws) and adored my attention.
Quote: Seriously, though, I had been to house parties and the like, (back when the world was normal) where there was a cat or 2 around, and the ones who fawned all over them, trying to get them to come and sit.. failed.

Yep. I sure wish more girls would learn this lesson from the cats!
Miki
Miki • Apr 6, 2020
Thanks! One must respect the times when they "Taw a Putty Tat!
rottenbrat​(sub female){Skyrich}
3 years ago • Apr 7, 2020
My cat trains me every day. She taught me to sit down so she can curl up in my lap, feed her first thing when I get up and before I get my dinner in the evening, and all with one word... Meow. If she wants my attention when I am moving around, she will run in front of me and throw herself on the floor laying down with her tummy on display. I have learned that this means "stop what you are doing and pet me now, dummy".