Online now
Online now

Allergies

WhatamIfightingfor​(dom male)
2 years ago • Jun 15, 2021

Allergies

i was surprised to not find a forum listing on allergies. Given it it the peak of pollen season, hay fever season in most of the USA I figured i should start a thread on allegies.

There are many out there, from types of lube, what leather is tanned with, medications, food, and more I hope by starting this thread allergies and how to work around and with them safely may be discussed.
MissBonnie​(dom female){oz}
I sufferr from it mildly but I have in past dealt with those with nickel plating allergies. Google had this to say: Nickel allergy is something that some of us acquire after we are born. It is a common allergy that affects millions (about 10 percent or more) of the population in the U.S., where the most common underlying event is ear piercing. It is much more common in women than men.

Most kink gear and tack has nickel plating, it is more common than it isn't. Nickle platting is commonly used in most sex toys too. Most buckles, rivets, studs, snaps, rings, etc., are nickel plated steel with the exception of chain which is chrome plated steel and other metal fittings that are brass coated.. Most don't know they are allergic to it until its applied to...lets say more sensitive parts for periods of time with heat and moisture. This can suddenly develop after years of using a toy but once you get a reaction, chances are it will continue with other items with nickel.

Often symptoms include:
Rash or bumps on the skin.
Itching, which may be severe.
Redness or changes in skin color.
Dry patches of skin that may resemble a burn.
Blisters and draining fluid in severe cases.

the only way to stop the symptoms is stop using the item, not just for awhile but forever. I've found nail polish on the item will limit small amounts on say cuffs (dont use internal of course) but the next best is to ask when you purchase are the "metal parts" nickel or stainless steel or even better medical grade! Its doesn't hurt to ask and more and more creators of kink gear are moving away from it, it does hurt to use if you develop a reaction. While nickel plated items are cheaper, think of your tack as an investment. Also ASK those you play with if they have EVER had a reaction, include it in your shot term negations check lists too.
    The most loved post in topic
Sasa​(dom female)
Sasa​(dom female) • Jun 15, 2021
I developed problems with eggs, sad cause I loved them. I guess many don't listen to their bodies enough and simply don't know their stuff. Food allergic reactions are often build up slowly over some time. I started to remove all "convenient" food I could and tataaa, I'm not tired after I eat something, it gives me energy.
HEAVEN'S STARCHILD​(switch female)
My seasonal allergies (indoor and outdoor) have worsened over the years. As far as food, mushrooms is a no go. Body washes varies depending on the brand as well.as.detergents and razors ( the aloe strip can cause an allergic reaction on some. )
Dominus eius​(dom male){LittleLott}
I suffer from rather impressive hay fever - while not life threatening (except for when lotte wants to throttle me in my sleep) it does make things challenging.

A sneezing fit can really put you off your rhythm.

It’s also hard to maintain my Domliness while my eyes are streaming….. 🤣
MissBonnie​(dom female){oz}
You mention "meds" in the OP ....Things like Iron deficiency are also an issue for some with play when it comes to meds as bruising will increase. Walfrin and blood thinners also hamper play if you play hard. Others that spring to mind are diabetes one and two for healing times (libido will also be an issue and ED with most allergy meds) ...so more so than the "allergies" styled stuff the "meds" you take also effect how you play or if you play at all. some meds will decrease healing and others will decrease libido. Most people dont think about how this work with play as often these type things aren't on the advise sheets with medications as they often dont even think about BDSM play. Things like allergy meds effect the mucus membranes so this will dry anal passages and lessen natural lubrication in women. It pays to ask questions even with over the counter medications.
WhatamIfightingfor​(dom male)
Yup. There are all kinds of reactions to medications that apart from allergies that change our behavior I rarely if ever have seen spoken about. There is also how none steroidal anti inflammatory are an issue for many, like myself. Woman can have issues with estrogens in foods, birth control and other products. There are also anti-biotic allergies, but that should rarely come up.
SageFlame​(sub female)
2 years ago • Jun 18, 2021
SageFlame​(sub female) • Jun 18, 2021
Gluten
Dairy
Dairy farm eggs but I can eat free range eggs from locals. ( but I don't like eggs just hide them in my food for protein )

Meat - no allergy but it makes me feel drained, slow and like a rock in my stomach.

Think of your local market or favorite foods -95% are a no-no for me.

No candy is on my hard limit list as type 2 diabetes runs in family tree.

I've learned to pay close attention to my body and it has made a world of difference!

See why I need all those delicious endorphines that kinky activity can ignite?
Manda Panda​(sub female)
2 years ago • Jun 18, 2021
Manda Panda​(sub female) • Jun 18, 2021
I've had an allergy test. I am allergic to dust, 3 types of mold, pollen and either cats or dogs (not sure which).
I'm also lactose intolerant. Which sucks bc I loved milk. Can't have it now. I can tolerate cheese but not alone. So on sandwiches, pizza, etc. I tried almoldmilk the other day and it wasn't good. I mean, it was good tasting, but my stomach did not like it.