Online now
Online now

Old vs new guard

LordofPain56
1 year ago • Aug 16, 2022
LordofPain56 • Aug 16, 2022
It had always been my philosophy to NOT attempt to define myself in these little pigeon-hole terms. I may have stated in my profile that I am a sadistic Dom, but don't give a lot more detail, as I never expected anyone to have interest in it anyway. In ages past, I had a much longer more detailed profile (on a different BDSM website) that would have left no question as to the character traits, proclivities and type of person the reader would be dealing with. It never gained any interest, so here I have gone with a very short version.
Besides, what if you were a mixture of "old-guard" and "new-guard"? And I say that, because I am actually a mixture of sadist and Daddy Dom, although I may not say that directly in my short profile now. But they would have been able to gleen that out of my old, long profile without my pigeon-holing myself.
I'mME
1 year ago • Aug 16, 2022
I'mME • Aug 16, 2022
LordofPain56 wrote:
It had always been my philosophy to NOT attempt to define myself in these little pigeon-hole terms. I may have stated in my profile that I am a sadistic Dom, but don't give a lot more detail, as I never expected anyone to have interest in it anyway. In ages past, I had a much longer more detailed profile (on a different BDSM website) that would have left no question as to the character traits, proclivities and type of person the reader would be dealing with. It never gained any interest, so here I have gone with a very short version.
Besides, what if you were a mixture of "old-guard" and "new-guard"? And I say that, because I am actually a mixture of sadist and Daddy Dom, although I may not say that directly in my short profile now. But they would have been able to gleen that out of my old, long profile without my pigeon-holing myself.

LordofPain56,
I picked up on the fact that fact, between the lines, your Daddy Dom part.
Literate Lycan​(dom male)
1 year ago • Aug 17, 2022
Literate Lycan​(dom male) • Aug 17, 2022
Firmhand wrote:
Having said the above, and as someone who favors living my life in the here and now rather than ape genre fiction of the past, it has to be said that responsible, contemporary D/s and BDSM culture owes a great deal to the traditions, protocols and rules of Gorean-derived Old Guard practices.

I realize you have indicated in a previous post where you responded to dollMaker that you didn't mean imply a direct connection; however, you post the above comment "Gorean-derived Old Guard practices". As I've indicated before, like most of those who have responded, I have never participated Old Guard or Gorean practices. They aren't my thing, although I've read about them - I have literally not even third hand knowledge. I know submissives who have adopted the poses as part of their routine without adopting the rest of the Gorean lifestyle.

That being the case, and has been said before, Old Guard is not derived from Gorean - I don't know if you meant to type it like that. Old Guard has been attributed to gay military members post WWII forming a community which gelled and formalized by the 1950s. Gorean lifestyles were derived from the books of Gor written in the 1960s by John Lange under his pseudonym John Norman. Like you, I read them when I was very young so they were fascinating - but as a "slightly" more mature man today, I see them as adequately written but not great. Perhaps the Gorean lifestyles pulled from the Old Guard - but not the other way around.

Regarding other comments above, I have seen and even participated in the lower case upper case (when and only when dealing directly within the dynamic of D/s) and I don't see an issue. Although it's more or less a cute thing between the couple. Like pet names, only when writing.

All the best.
Zelia
Zelia • Aug 17, 2022
It’s not a cute thing for many LC. It’s protocol, and carries some importance.
Literate Lycan​(dom male)
Literate Lycan​(dom male) • Aug 17, 2022
Alaïs wrote:
It’s not a cute thing for many LC. It’s protocol, and carries some importance.

It carries the importance that you and your dynamic place on it. I was not being condescending. I find it cute and endearing when within the established relationship. Some may not find it necessary. While to others it may be Draconian law never to be violated. I was more responding to an earlier comment that felt like it was being dismissed as a negative or even a power-trip. If it is part of the dynamic protocol it is very important. Thank you for your comment and conversation.
Zelia
Zelia • Aug 17, 2022
Thank You for responding LC, I understand where You’re coming from. Appreciated.
I'mME
I'mME • Aug 17, 2022
ZackFrak wrote:
I'mME wrote:
ZackFrak wrote:
No one coming into kink in the last 10-20 years or so gives a crap about the old guard and their "high protocols." I've met some of these guys and it's hard to take them seriously, but they take themselves so seriously.

What were some things you found to be hard to take seriously?
Have a good friend of mine, a woman who was with one of these old, high protocol guys. Tried to explain to me why she couldn't hang out because she now had a bed time and all kinds of other restrictions. I told domly dom dude that he can do his thing with her but he isn't dictating any rules over me by extension. I think he had a ridiculous, tabulated handbook for her to follow too. That didn't last long. Writing in all lower case as a sub is another goofy thing they do.

ZackFrak,

The ''girl'' you were hanging out with, that had a specific bedtime hour, did she seem like she was sad? Maybe she told you, simply because that was the reason she could not hang out and socialize any longer? Do you know about negotiating? I don't want to explain something if you already are aware, but if you know about negotiating, then she had an opportunity to negotiate when the rule was set. If two people decide to play together, then they should have a discussion [negotiate, talk about limits, what they want to try and get from the scene, BOTH parties. Many times these folks may classify themselves as Tops and bottoms. The same type thing should happen in a D/s dynamic. Two people [Dominants, subs, Masters, slaves, Owners, property], and these are just some more common terms that I listed. People can call themselves, label themselves, consider themselves anything they choose, and work out their dynamic anyway they decide together. After they have decided to enter into a dynamic together, then they [this IMO is not something should ever be skipped, implied, assumed, ignored, think bc you know your partner, you know what will happen. And even in the best of circumstances, life happens, it's what happens during that time and after is where a firm foundation will make a difference] even if two people are having some pickup play or a regular scening, and/or a dynamic.
Trust, honesty, respect, CONSENT and communication, are the things that make it possible to do scenes where one person is letting the other person tie them up, hit them with things, take away some of their 5 senses or all😳😌.
So your friend may have had a touch of pride in them when they said they had a specific bedtime. This hopefully is what she agreed to. What you don't know is why. She could have asked for her Dom's help at being better in getting more rest. Perhaps she was cranky all day, late for class/work because she was struggling to wake up in time due to not getting enough sleep. Maybe she has a medical condition and getting enough sleep helps that. Do you see how that may not be a stupid thing.
The bedtime was set to help her, she should also know what happens if she does not get to bed. This would also, or should also have gotten discussion and negotiating.
If there is a rule, there has to be consequences if the rule is broken. Could be anything, 1 infraction so and so happens, 2nd infraction then this happens and so forth. It could be taking away something, or loss of free time, corporal, it's all specific to that dynamic. It could be that that a good lecture [which makes subs feel lower than where one might find red wigglers, may be part of their dynamic.
As far as her writing in lower case letters, do you mean when she referred to herself?
I would have to have more information.
That particular thing could be considered high protocol.
But the other stuff I wrote about is just how a dynamic may work [but as we are supposed to be all adults in this world, it's up to the two people engaged with each other to define what that looks like.
I'mME
I'mME • Aug 17, 2022
ZackFrak,

I did want to add, just as in vanilla, 2 people have to be compatible to be a couple. Now that does not mean they have to like the same everything. But in a Power Exchange dynamic [the sub is giving control the control of themselves over to the Dom. It may be just certain areas of their lives, but the particulars should be worked out during negotiations as well as limits.
But they need to have other stuff that is compatible, because they are not going to stay in bondage .

Also ZackFrak, I say this with some humor and a tiny lesson.
Quit calling people old dude, and whatever else you say like that.

I'm 53 yo old and female, and gurantee that I could keep up with you on most situations in life. 😁
ZackFrak
1 year ago • Aug 20, 2022
ZackFrak • Aug 20, 2022
Alaïs wrote:
Hey Zack
The things You have described are not really Old Guard or particularly high protocol. They’re fairly common to be honest.
It was with that guy. He considered himself old guard and his ways to be the old ways with an emphasis on protocol.
DevilOfNoMercy
1 year ago • Aug 20, 2022
DevilOfNoMercy • Aug 20, 2022
I am a 65 year old dom mentored back in the 90's and collared my 1st sub back then. I wouldn't call my self old guard but was developed in the old ways with stricter protocols and stricter methods. As far as being wary of anyone that calls himself that I would be wary of anyone that even remotely calls himself a dominant,a daddy dom or even a sub/slave,new or old until he/she proves something to you. Saying he is old guard doesn't make him fake or dangerous. That person just may think and expect differently. I didn't change with the times. So what. That doesn't mean I am any less of a person because of my old beliefs. And it doesn't mean I suddenly became dangerous either. To even think that is a load of crap.
No I don't know it all but then neither does the new person.

Each person and couple does things there own ways and nothing is right or wrong. It is what works for the individuals involved.

Saying to be wary of someone that claims to be old guard puts an unwanted and biased label on that person. It would be like me saying new guard people don't have a clue what they are talking about. I prefer not to be judged anymore then a new person would.

Rather to put a label on something you don't understand try looking at things with an open mind and use your own intelligence and common sense.