Online now
Online now

Participating in website features out of loneliness/bordom

Badgirlblues​(dom male)
1 year ago • Sep 26, 2022

So what?

Badgirlblues​(dom male) • Sep 26, 2022
Miki wrote:
.... and there are those for whom social media has served to replace actual face to face communication, be it because they're unable to go out and connect, or because it's simply easier to pull out the phone and start yacking.

For that matter, I've been to restaurants, bars and clubs and all too often I see each end of a "date"--- with their faces buried in their devices, communicating with yet another person who isn't there.

That's my take on today's social media-as-communication trend and not necessarily in answer to the original topic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And to the original post. No judging here either, but "So what?" Why does one feel the need to research aspects of human discourse save to sate some curiousity of their own, or to stave off boredom?

Above all else, that's the overall purpose of this site and others with or without the twisted bent. This is not a dating site. Its primary purpose is not to facilitate "hooking up". There is a "Personals" section of course, and a chat function, and those areas are where one goes if they want to start some type of relationship beyond conversation.

Humans are social creatures, and when one is alone, it is not at all uncommon or unusual to have a sound system or television going "in the background"-- and/or that's why people who live alone often have pets.

Company.
It's not as though I'm obsessed with the issue. I asked the question so I can learn more about human nature. I'd rather know more than less.
tallslenderguy​(other male)
1 year ago • Sep 26, 2022

Re: Participating in website features out of loneliness/bord

Badgirlblues wrote:
I am not judging anyone when I ask this question. I have researched human communication. In this field, there is something called 'phatic communication,' which refers to a function of language which is meant simply to connect with someone so as not to feel alone or lonely.==and the intention is to get some feedback just so that one feels less isolated in the world. I'm wondering how many posts/topics, chat room participation, etc., are explored by members simply to be involved in 'connection' . The content doesn't matter. Here is a simple example. SOmeone cleaning his/her house might have the radio on just to feel less isolated. It doesn't really matter what station you're tuned into so long as it isn't offensive. It could be music, talk radio, interviews, etc. It doesn't really matter so long as you don't feel you're alone. So, how many people will ask a question or connect in other ways (even with ads) just to get responses. Not because one is curious about the answer or truly wants to hook up with someone. Thanks.

When i first read this i saw "phallic communication" instead of "pahatic," and was thinking: 'oh yeah, that's me."
In my defense, this is a kink site.
On further reading, i couldn't make phallic fit (so to speak) and did a re-read and discovered my error.

Thinking about your (actual) question...
Something that happens often enough to be a 'thing' on gay hook up sites are "flakes." More often than not, that refers to someone who will engage another, even as far as to get their address and say: "on my way," only to ghost and never show. It's common and a topic of discussion on some gay discussion sites i participate in. This seems to be a very close example, if not exactly what, you are describing.
LordofPain56
1 year ago • Sep 27, 2022
LordofPain56 • Sep 27, 2022
Well, the only service on this site I use is the forums and I have never originated a topic, but read others and answer their questions. The other stuff like the chatroom, I am not familiar with and probably will not venture into it. I do look at the personal ads (submissive women seeking dominant men) occasionally, but don't expect anything to jump out at me.
As far as using any type of communication service out of boredom, sorry, not possible (for me). I cannot get bored. I get busy.
I probably made two phone-calls all year, hate going through my e-mail (because of all the junk), don't even own a cellular phone and I have communications with people I know IN PERSON 98% of the time rather than using some device.
I'm a dinosaur. I don't really care too much for all these impersonal methods of communication.
There is a vintage car repair forum I look at nearly every night to see if anyone has questions about how to put their 1954-1956 Ford back together. Having restored two of these from ground up, I often answer many peoples questions. No sense in letting this knowledge go to waste when someone might need it. But this forum is the only way to communicate since they are all over the country.
Dom Pinnacle​(dom male)
1 year ago • Sep 27, 2022
Dom Pinnacle​(dom male) • Sep 27, 2022
I used to play an online game called second life when I was in between girlfriends. It was as close to virtual reality as could be, more than ten years ago.

Created my character and roamed the world. I happened across the adult rooms. Like nothing I had ever experienced. You chat back and forth in real time and make your characters interact.

It got hot! I was banging and spanking ass, talking dirty.

Then it dawned on me. I can't hear the person on the other end. It could be a 400 pound make truck driver!!

At that moment...the thrill was gone. Boredom cured.
InqSci​(dom male)
1 year ago • Oct 2, 2022
InqSci​(dom male) • Oct 2, 2022
Miki wrote:
.... and there are those for whom social media has served to replace actual face to face communication, be it because they're unable to go out and connect, or because it's simply easier to pull out the phone and start yacking.

For that matter, I've been to restaurants, bars and clubs and all too often I see each end of a "date"--- with their faces buried in their devices, communicating with yet another person who isn't there.

That's my take on today's social media-as-communication trend and not necessarily in answer to the original topic.

Damn. Straight up wisdom, Miki. Very astute and on target.
I have often thought of writing some papers on the failings of our technological age and its effect on human interaction.
There are so many disruptions to eons of human evolution and our primal instincts that keep a society tight and protected from erosion.
I could discuss, debate and enjoy tete'-a-tete's for hours on this topic.