Online now
Online now

First Munch | Expectations, Etiquette, Dresscode

Resilient Pearl​(other female){Protected}
5 years ago • Nov 22, 2018

First Munch | Expectations, Etiquette, Dresscode

Attending a local munch this month. This will be my first event.

Any advise or suggestions would be quite welcome, as I’ve no idea what to expect. I’m fairly introverted, but want to get the most out of my experience, and definitely want to meet new people/make new friends.

Any experiences you might offer are welcome, specifically, regarding etiquette, socializing, and dress (my personal and professional uniform consists of jeans, hoodie, and Chucks; I don’t do uncomfortable).

- RP
dollMaker​(dom male)
dollMaker​(dom male) • Nov 22, 2018
Each munch group will have their own rules, dress, behaviour code etc, read up on them, ask questions if you don't understand them.

Generally though its vanilla clothing, no kink on show, no play, no collars, no shouting and yelling kink stuff all over the place, and if in a restaurant order food and drink. Its like any social event, general chit chat, pleasantries, some more in depth conversations, maybe kink related but more often than not just day to day stuff. Some will know each other well so will appear to be more clique, but best way to get round this is to allow the organisers to introduce you.

Think of this as a normal social event, you get to meet people, learn about the local events, groups and make friends and from that who knows what might happen. If anyone makes you uncomfortable or pesters you, behaves in an inappropriate way report them to the munch organisers.

Be relaxed, people before kink and you will enjoy yourself.
    The most loved post in topic
DrWakko
DrWakko • Nov 22, 2018
If you are curious about your first munch I suggest writing to the host of the munch and asking these questions.

And since you in the city. Go get a coffee at WIcked Ground.
FabSeverus​(dom male)
FabSeverus​(dom male) • Nov 22, 2018
First munch is always sound daunting and scary but actually you will realised soon that’s it’s like any other friends meeting, but with the twisted thought that we all have something in commun!
It’s very relaxed and you don’t need to force yourself into a role you are not comfortable with. Just be yourself and enjoy it.
More likely that someone would noticed you are new and will ask if you need any help or introduce you to the other kinksters, but also you won’t be the only one first timer.
@Dollmaker, Fab, and DrWakko:

Thank you for your responses. Much of what you shared was echoed by the event hosts and/or reflected on the event page.

I also appreciate the experiences you offered, which is what I was hoping to hear about.

Thank you.

- RP
Bunnie
5 years ago • Nov 23, 2018
Bunnie • Nov 23, 2018
@ Resilient Pearl, your uniform sounds perfect icon_biggrin.gif
The best thing about going to a munch, is realising that everyone is just like you... ordinary people with relationship preferences that are different to vanilla. That’s all.
I was so nervous going to my first munch... I am socially awkward, and am one of those people who always puts my foot in my mouth and embarrasses myself. My experience with the munch was no different lol... however... everyone was so friendly and welcoming. Every single person there had been in the same place I was in at some point beforehand. They understood, and they welcomed me with open arms. All I said to myself going in was, “All I have to do is put one foot in front of the other... that’s all it takes... and I’m under no obligation to stay if I don’t want to.” Just remember to breathe. You’ll do great. You’ve come this far, why not have a peek at what’s around the corner icon_smile.gif
If the rules and regulations regarding that specific munch aren’t listed on the event, I agree with DrWakko... contact the organisers... they’ll be able to tell you exactly what is required, and a lot of them too, like to greet you when you arrive at the venue, and kind of take you under their wing, to help you feel a bit more comfortable.
5 years ago • Nov 25, 2018
“Try, try again”

Closing the loop on this thread.

Showed up to the venue, was told no one had arrived and calendar showed the event as ‘place holder.’

Tea, cookie, went home.

Better(er) luck next time.

- RP
GvS​(other male)
5 years ago • Dec 12, 2018
GvS​(other male) • Dec 12, 2018
Late to the conversation, only because I'm not on here often.

@Resilient Pearl: That really sucks. I am rather surprised that no one you contacted mentioned this possibility to you. I have been involved with organizing munches for several years, I understand that it can be a roll of the dice about how many actually show up, but I have always felt that it's not about numbers. Every munch has the potential to be someone's first, and I am sorry that your first attempt was so anti-climactic. I do hope you give it another shot. Attendance does tend to fall off around the holidays,, but I hope you have better luck next time.