Online now
Online now

Y/you capital and lower case...

JaimeJade​(sub female){BaronJ}
5 years ago • Jan 29, 2019

Y/you capital and lower case...

Hi there,

Some bloggers like to use both capital letters and lower case letters at the start of words that refer to people such as Y/you H/him, H/her etc...

Just wondering why this is? Is this referring to the unknown whether the capital is referring to a Top and the lower case referring to a bottom and because this is unknown... both are covered?

Thanks!

JJ x
dollMaker​(dom male)
dollMaker​(dom male) • Jan 29, 2019
Yes its a form of top/dom/master, sub/bottom/slave indicator.

You may have read some refer to 'that side of the slash', and this is about what you ask so, for example Master would be wrtten with a capital M and slave with a lower case s, for short M/s. In the case of certain word use within a relationship, the dynamic can be indicated by writing Wwe or Yyou in the same way as M/s is or even D/s.

Some hate this and will complain about this being done, but for many its an important indicator of their relationship dynamic so I think tolerance should be shown regarding this, even though it may be awkward to read, thus respecting Ttheir relationship.
    The most loved post in topic
MasterBear​(other butch)
MasterBear​(other butch) • Jan 29, 2019
https://www.kinkly.com/definition/8493/bdsm-capitalization

"Some sources believe that BDSM capitalization came into practice with Old Guard Leather guidelines which insisted submissives use only the third-person to refer to themselves. Another theory is that the practice sprung from chatrooms where the capitalization helped convey participants’ roles to the online community."
Bella duPuy​(sub female){Not lookin}
5 years ago • Feb 21, 2019
Hi.

Doing this made sense to me when i came into this world.

It wasn't until i began to read that i saw it being done.

The reason why i do it is because it is a sign of regard and respect for the station of person or persons they are addressing.

If there are occasions for.me to address that person directly, if they are Dom/me, Master/Mistress, i'll say "Mister XYZ," or "Miss ABC".
Devil's damsel​(sub female){HandsomeDe}
I was taught first, to pay attention to the capitalization of names. To make sure I capitalize Dom names and use lowercase with sub names.

Later another taught me to always use lower case when typing my pronouns and always capitalize Dom pronouns.

I will always stick with the name part. I believe it helps to differentiate between the two, it shows my respect, and it shows the place both D and s have in this life. I actually cringe when people call me “DD” instead of “dd” lol.

As far as the rest of it goes, the way I see it is if it is important to my Dom that I go down to the pronoun level, then I will.
Kara​(sub female){Dark Roast}
I actually don’t do this and not because I minored in English. To me, we’re all people. I can adore and respect male friends who possess dominant qualities, but I don’t see them as Doms. Unless I am in a relationship with someone, it doesn’t go beyond a personal level.

That said, I am not going to correct someone who uses my name with a lower case or roll my eyes at someone who capitalizes their personal pronouns. I also try to respect the wishes of my submissive friends who use lower case pronouns for themselves. I guess it boils down to personal preference/training.
MsTaraDactyl
MsTaraDactyl • Feb 21, 2019
Gets on my nerves. Makes it really hard to read things and I will actually ignore people that type like that.