Online now
Online now

Timely manners

Ingénue{VK}
4 years ago • Oct 13, 2019

Timely manners

Ingénue{VK} • Oct 13, 2019
What might be an optimal time range within which to reply to a message from another member of our online community?

At what point might you consider a delay to perhaps be lacking in courtesy?

We're a global community and different cultures might have differing expectations.

All thoughts and explanations gratefully received.
(Please do so, though, in a timely manner).
    The most loved post in topic
Zedland​(dom male)
Zedland​(dom male) • Oct 13, 2019
Off the top of my head I'd say about a day or two would be the outside limit for a polite reply.

But on the other hand life happens and there is nothing we can do about that. A little line about how you couldn't reply because the dragon you were hunting stole your phone goes a long way to smooth ruffled feathers.
Manorbier​(dom male)
Manorbier​(dom male) • Oct 13, 2019
What Zedland said.

We all have lives away from Cage, they take precedence.
Ingénue{VK}
Ingénue{VK} • Oct 13, 2019
So... would a polite reply within two hours merit a disapproving response?

#askingforafriend
Manorbier​(dom male)
It shouldn't. Unless the person waiting for the response is highly unreasonable.

#tellyourfriend
Zedland​(dom male)
Zedland​(dom male) • Oct 13, 2019
It could be a power play...

But I sense I should flee from the middle of you two.
Manorbier​(dom male)
Not at all, Zedland...not a dispute between us, a general question triggered by conversation!
MasterBear​(other butch)
MasterBear​(other butch) • Oct 13, 2019
People, shockingly, have a whole life outside if answering emails.

I think, when you put something out there its great to get a quick response.

But, if not, then not.

There is no time frame, i think.

I get really ---- tired----- when I'm in the middle of life and I get an angry email that I am ignoring someone.

Im not ignoring them.

If you need a timeframe to have someone getting back to you. Put that in your email.

Otherwise. Wait. And when you dont want to wait anymore - move on.
TakenLower
TakenLower • Oct 13, 2019
I also get highly annoyed by people that think they deserve to press my time. Sometimes I’m thinking about the response and that may take a while. Sometimes I just don’t have time to reply, and there are also times that I simply don’t want to engage in conversation (although I usually say so). I remember one instance of a sub male that would expect immediate responses to multiple emails before I even had a chance to read the first followed by the “Why are you ignoring me?”. Let’s just say that didn’t end well for his ego.
TranquilStorm
TranquilStorm • Oct 13, 2019
Depends on the person and circumstances. For example, if is the other person is currently online and we have been having an engaging conversation so far, then I would expect a timely response or update on the dragon hunt, as Zedland put it so nicely.
Regarding the topic, if 42 does not answer all questions then an answer might take some time + it depends on the sense of urgency exhibited.

Long story short, my personal perceived courtesy depends on the person and topic.