Online now
Online now

Cataracts

You Can Call Me Al​(dom male)
4 years ago • Dec 2, 2019

Cataracts

Bizarre subject, I know. My doctor says I need surgery to replace the lenses in my eyes (I still find it incredible they can do that), but deep down I'm a wimp. Has anyone had the surgery, and if so what is it like?
Manda Panda​(sub female)
4 years ago • Dec 3, 2019
Manda Panda​(sub female) • Dec 3, 2019
My grandma did years ago. I don't remember what she said it was like but I remember teasing her about being a pirate bc she had to wear a patch over her eye. And she stayed with us while she recuperated. Sorry this is of no help. Did you ask the doctor what it's like?
Manda Panda​(sub female)
Manda Panda​(sub female) • Dec 3, 2019
Boorish Misanthrope wrote:
You would think, eh? Kind of a weird conversation starter though.

😆🤓
That is true but I'm sure there are many people who wouldn't mind talking to you and answering your questions. Worth a try, eh?
SchrodingersDinosaur​(switch female)
My mom had it done almost 10 years ago, very simple, quick, and an easy recovery with minimal pain. One eye done at a time, about a month apart. She has worn glasses since she was little and for the first time could actually see without them. Even to read at first, although the doc was right when he told us that the vision is sharpest immediately following and many do end up needing reading glasses. Although her vision isn't as good as it was, she still can see significantly better than she did prior to surgery, even before she had the cataracts.

Getting up there myself and although I'm not cataracty yet I am actually considering getting the lens replaced too. I've worn glasses or contacts since about four, but the ol eyes are getting worse, so maybe...

Don't ever want to be like 'oh sure, go get elective surgery' because there is always the possibility of poor outcome, but I'd do it if diagnosed with cataracts, personally. - Henna
ThirtyFourPointFive
ThirtyFourPointFive • Dec 3, 2019
I had a friend who had the procedure done when he had his cataracts removed and it went well. The lens the doc put in the left eye, not so much.
Look for the most highly rated doc you can find, even if you need to travel to do it. My friend told me the pain was minimal and the recovery maybe a little itchy, but not painful. Good luck to ya! Gary