Online now
Online now

The difficulty in finding a Primal community

sheldonbunny​(other female)
3 years ago • Jun 19, 2020

The difficulty in finding a Primal community

Hopefully this is in the right subforum.

I was talking with the only other primal I really have in my life about the difficulty in finding any real community dedicated to the primal dynamic. Primal in general was more an orphan that got picked up by the BDSM community's welcoming nature, but while many define it in terms of kink, others are more akin to a way of life, up to and including it not being defined through sex at all.

I'm just curious how many that identify as primal are on here. Additionally if any know of actual primal online communities beyond this site. As an example there's a flood of BDSM discord servers of every type, but pretty much nothing focused on Primal without it being a straight up RP server. While I appreciate those that do that, there are those that fall under the spectrum that don't participate in those activities, at least to that degree or in a "public" setting.
MissBonnie​(dom female){oz}
3 years ago • Jun 20, 2020
I was wondering if you do find some resources ..could you please share them?
I am also somewhat primal ..but apart from the few of us that have listed here so far, there will be many others looking.
Calico​(switch female)
Calico​(switch female) • Jun 20, 2020
As we explore more I find myself fitting more in with the primal but it doesnt seem to be overly common. I wish i could learn more about it from someone and also find a community to engage with.

If you find anything please post 💙
First, thanks to everyone speaking up so far. Very much appreciated and hello to you all.

MissBonnie wrote:
I was wondering if you do find some resources ..could you please share them?
I am also somewhat primal ..but apart from the few of us that have listed here so far, there will be many others looking.

I'll definitely report back anything I find. Besides random blog posts here and there. i've not really found too much. There's a few groups on Fetlife, but I haven't paid attention to how active they are in the past year. What i've honestly been longing for was a community, no matter how big or small to just have a place to talk about it. In a sea filled with all the flavors of BDSM, Primal seems to not get much attention/spotlight.

I suppose my next question to everyone who identifies is would you place it more purely as a sexual part of yourself, or more a lifestyle and/or 24/7. To give an example in my own life, for me it's simply part of who I am. Except for times in my life where I simply numbed it down, which has honestly been stressful and in some ways depressing, this is a big part of myself. I only recently started fully embracing it again, and I honestly have felt more myself in the past few weeks, which has been bringing comfort during recent stress.
Team Captain Trent
Team Captain Trent • Jun 20, 2020
Personally, it was strictly a sexual aspect for me, but being Primal does come up in non-sexual situations every so often. I'm interested to know what a 24/7 primal lifestyle would look like, if that's how anyone operates and would be willing to share.
Team Captain Trent wrote:
Personally, it was strictly a sexual aspect for me, but being Primal does come up in non-sexual situations every so often. I'm interested to know what a 24/7 primal lifestyle would look like, if that's how anyone operates and would be willing to share.

While I can only speak for myself, it's a bit difficult to fully define it. It's akin to the idea of simply how information is processed and being more self aware of instinct. All the other parts of modern society are in place within the mind, but under many situations it's applying the instinct to every day life.

As an example, primal was introduced to me two decades ago from an ex. It was his nature to pursue a mate, and once his, to keep a vigilant eye on her at all times. Outside of our home I was either by his side or he always kept me within view. He claimed he could pick out my footsteps in a crowded hallway, and proved it on a number of occasions. With lovemaking, he even was the sort to "purr" after climaxing. There really is no better description I can give to the noise.

Flash forward to present day, i've been slowly navigating with someone newer to primal. We both associate our personalities to a degree to specific animals, and in turn give certain affection as such. Nuzzling, growls, nips, licks, etc are not uncommon. He in turn (like my ex before him) is very comfortable with his body, and enjoys his nudity as much as permitted by modern society. I on the other hand am not quite so comfortable. icon_razz.gif

So I suppose to sum it up, it's little things throughout the day, not a specific protocol to follow. It comes naturally without any thought. There are times when primal must be held back, such as when tempers arise, for obvious reasons. I might be able to list other examples if people are interested. I think on the sexual side most of us are fairly aware of examples, so they would be more about just every day life.
Bunnie
Bunnie • Jun 20, 2020
I don’t know if it’s associated as Primal, but I learn and always have learned to “life” through nature. Being in it and observing how it functions makes more sense to me than how our society functions as humans. I think we are stupid and have no idea as a species. We stick out like a sore thumb within nature and have no idea how to live in harmony with anything. That is unless we are tribal. Is that primal though? Perhaps. Certainly not in a kink sense though.

The difficulty around Primal is that by its very essence it’s based on listening to and trusting our own instincts, rather than learning from and following the crowd. So... would Primals actually form a community?

These are just random thoughts. I too am interested to see where this thread leads, and what sites or communities exist out there, as it seems to be something I relate to on some level, even if I can’t really articulate it.
    The most loved post in topic
You bring up some very intriguing and thought provoking points. Primal is quite the umbrella term in general. In all honesty I never had a label for what came naturally until the last few years. There are so many opinions on what it is. The obvious one is identifying in some manner to an animal. Some simply take it as a stripping away of modern conventions to focus on instinct. Some define is as a kink or fetish, something to pull out in a bag of tricks for a scene, while others live and breathe the ideal as much as possible in their life.

As for the nature of Primal versus community, packs are established with some that associate on the animal side of it. I've struggled more to see mentions of mated monogamous pairings than I have for packs and in turn casual sex or polyamorous activities. Within a "community" that is already a rarity, it becomes even harder to find those more interested in mate for life as opposed to sparring, hunting, etc.

In this case I suppose it's the idea of a place for a meeting of the minds on the concept. Not a hierarchy or some bias on iron clad terms for it, because it really is a collection of ideas all under one term where there are more similarities than differences. Just a bunch of people who don't ignore what their body and gut tells them, talking among themselves on all topics of life including how they include primal in their lives.