Online now
Online now

Roles vs identities

Jolene​(sub female){PapaBear}
3 years ago • Jun 25, 2020

Roles vs identities

I'm trying to write about the difference between roles and I identities in BDSM.

For example:

Roles- Dominant
Submissive
Switch
Protector
Dungeon Master

Identities- Daddy/Mommy/Caregiver, Soft Dom, Hard Dom, Hunter, Rigger, Sadist, Master, Owner, Top
Baby/Little/Middle, Brat, Service Sub, Prey, Rope Bunny, Masochist, Slave, Pet, Bottom

Can anyone think of more roles, or provide me with some helpful resources?? 😁

Thanks!

-Jo
LaVieEnRose​(sub female){Learning }
I know I’ve struggled to find info about primals and the primal lifestyle but FetLife actually has some groups that have some little articles written by members which I found informative and other then that I feel like all the blogs just say the same thing over and over again 😂
tallslenderguy​(other male)
i'm glad you posted this. i often wonder about the two terms.

For me a role is something one can choose, an identity seems more intrinsic, a part of oneself? i have an aversion to "role-play" because something about it seems disingenuous to me (not saying it is, just that it feels that way to me). This stuff is very real to me and i have enough kink to never have to 'play' at it (i know, not all people use the word "play" that way).

i start to see a "role" is something a Top/Dom can groom me into molding my identity, kinks? But submissive seems more my nature, how i am, but i can see how it can translate into a role too? idk, i have a hard time making two distinct categories.