Online now
Online now

I'm a new Dom experienciencing a breakup. Help!!!

Cinn
3 years ago • Aug 3, 2020
Cinn • Aug 3, 2020
Its disheartening to hear an individual claim broken bones as a form of love. I cannot offer any advice in regards to your D/s relationship because I am still learning myself. However, as mentioned earlier trauma bonds are difficult to break and as someone that works with victims of domestic violence this is seen often. She definitely needs time to heal and counseling is a great place to start. I hope she can get the help she needs. As for you, I know this hurts, take time to heal and process what you have gone through. I like the suggestion up above about having a mentor, it is always helpful to have someone to lean on and to learn from. I wish you the best.
Ricccardio
Ricccardio • Aug 3, 2020
Orgazmo wrote:
Theres a lot going on here but from what you said you are probably best to move one. That doesn't feel good but it is what you need to hear.

I'm very troubled by your use of the word 'abuse' true BDSM does not involve abuse. Did you have a safeword? Were you SSC or RACK or PRICK?

The abuse, real abuse from what you said caused her real physical AND emotional damage. She needs to heal and she'll heal on her timeline NOT YOURS.

I've only heard some of one side of what happened but I suspect you found each other. She wanted a DOM. You wanted a sub. And you rushed into a BDSM realtionship too quick and didn't build enough trust and communication.

You need lots of communication and much more trust in a BDSM realationship than a vanilla relationship. It looks like you didn't build on a solid foundation and your house collapsed when a storm came along.

I can tell from your post that you are hurting and that sucks. I've been there. A lot of us have been there. It hurts and I'm sure a lot of shoulda, coulda wouldas are going through your head.

I hope you are able to learn from this experience and take those lessons into your future relationships. You'll be a better man and a better Dom for it.

Thanks for your response man. And sorry for the lack of clarification. She got abused by her other Doms as in real abuse (non-consensual). I 'abused' her in the consensual sense. I care too much about her to ever do something like that. Honestly, she introduced me to BDSM but before my official introduction I already did things in previous relationships that I didn't even know was considered BDSM, so when she suggested looking into it I was completely open to the things she asked but her talks about abusers loving her etc. It just sent chills down my spine. What I thought was going to be a happy fulfilling relationship just always felt like a dark shadow and she seemed completely oblivious to it. I was always the communicator. I always wanted to talk and ask about limits and if something is ok or not. She didn't like that. She was always very quick to ask about putting things behind us and sweeping them under the carpet without actually addressing the issue. She'd tell me things she did in the past and I don't mind her expressing that. I'm pretty open minded and secure so whatever she said was ok to me. However when I asked if she liked them she'd say "I guess" "sure." I'd think if you liked an experience you'd say "Yes!!" "I loved when..." She says it about other things but regardless I would expect more enthusiasm. She trusted me a lot. I trusted her as well. She shared these things with me that she has shared with no one, but her ultimate test of trust was how Dominant I was with her and that cannot be a criteria for trust. Also, I just couldn't get into the headspace that I had even in other relationships. (I grabbed other girl's hair, slapped them, took more initiative, gave more orders and loved it and initially wanted to do it with her but I just never had the heart to be so into it with her. It felt off). And yes loads of shoulda coulda wouldas.
Ricccardio
Ricccardio • Aug 3, 2020
NoOneofConsequence wrote:
Welcome to Hell, Ricccardio. We hope you enjoy your stay.

https://youtu.be/vcmjDPDOk7c

I don't know if anything I'm about to say will actually be any "help." Or at least the kind you are looking for. But, it's all I have to offer.

Since it is most likely that you don't know me from Adam's son, I'll just preface by saying that in addition to studying relationships and sexuality in college once upon a time and embarking on two careers that called my sanity into question (as well as involving a great deal about learning control), I've also been involved in some flavor of BDSM for over three decades. Two and a half of that with my wife, my submissive, my slave, my little, my love, and my very best friend before she shuffled off to the next plane. (Without my permission, damn it!)

Depending on who you ask, I'm either a Master with DD tendencies or a Daddy Dom with Master tendencies. (And a rather vicious stripe of subtle Sadism underlying.)

***shrug*** Not looking to impress. My point is that this isn't my first rodeo. Not by a long stretch. Actually, I've been kicking my can down the side of this gravel road for quite a while now. And spent no little of that time picking gravel out of road rash, just like you are now.

First, I would just reiterate what Orgazmo said that there is a world of difference between "use" and "abuse." He's generally a pretty knowledgeable fellow, except when his sense of humor (that can make even me pause from time to time) gets the best of him. And he's right on point with this one.

The thing is... For some people, abuse is all they know. And, yeah. They equate it with love.

It sucks. It's not right. And you can break your heart trying to fix such a person and never get anywhere. Because in their mind, in their view of the world... their Johari's Window or Frame of Reference, if you don't abuse them, it is because you do not love them enough to.

Am I saying that you should abuse these people? Fuck no! I'm all about making sure needs are met within reason. But, there are limits. And this tromps the fuck all over mine.

And I say that as someone who, at one time, employed blade play that involved blooding for a masochist who needed it.

(Before my inbox explodes, no I will not do such again. Ever. It is beyond my physical capabilities to do so safely now, so look elsewhere if that's your thing.)

And, yes. I have been accused, time and again, of being "no kind of Dom!" by more than one hysterical submissive that I would not relent and give what she thought she wanted as I was tending to her needs.

As if they get to determine what I am. What I am to them? Sure. They are within their rights to say, "you are not my Dom." However, their right to swing their fist ends at the end of my nose. They don't have any more right to say that I am "not a Dom" than they would accede the right to someone else to say they are "not a sub."

Or you either for that matter.

Alright, so you say it's your first rodeo. And you got kicked in the teeth when the bull threw you.

It happens. And, it will happen again. No matter how experienced you get, if you have more than just one more submissive in your future, it will happen again. Hopefully not to this extreme where she says if you won't break bones, then you don't love her. But, it will happen.

I'm not going to tell you how you should Dom. Nor am I going to tell you what you should do with this relationship or any other.

There are just as many ways to practice BDSM as there are couples who practice it. The question is always going to be if your demons find a comfortable Hell to use as a playground in this one's soul. And if her/his Hell is fully actualized without being overly stretched by your demons' antics.

Or, as Johnny Cochran might say, "if the Hell doesn't fit, you must acquit."

***shrug***

I said I wasn't going to try to tell you how you should Dom... But, seeing as how it's your first attempt at winning your spurs... In my experiences, for it to work, I had to work it like this.

First, I had to see to it that her needs were met. Even when that meant that my needs, my wants, and her wants were not.

If her needs were met, then it was time to get mine met. Even when it meant that my wants and her wants might not be.

My wants came in after both of our needs were met. Even if that might leave her wants out.

Her wants were only taken into account if it didn't violate her needs, my needs, or my wants.

If she couldn't accept that... well, she might be someone else's submissive, but not mine.

And, in the case of someone that wanted her bones broken... No. That would be counter to her needs, my needs, and my wants.

***sigh***

I don't know, Ricccardio. I don't know what else I even could say. Much less if what I have said was any help or not.

At the end of the day, you have to be you, she has to be she, he has to be he, and I have to be me. Expecting anything to work that doesn't allow for that is, according to Einstein, the definition of insanity in my experiences.

So long as everybody involved gives consent. You. Your submissive. Any potential onlookers.

I used to try to push safety, but figured out that only two things are infinite; the cosmos and human will to be stupid. And I'm not sure about the former. So, now I just don't play if I think anyone's safety is in question. What they do when I'm not there... I just shake my head and roll on.

Sanity... We're all bughouse nuts in our own way. So, what use is sanity when we're all fuckin' crazy in our own individual way?

But, any row you need to hoe, here's to bountiful crops for your day.

And may the sun be out of your eyes and the wind at your back for a more beautiful tomorrow.

Haha. You're a funny man. I appreciate your advice. The only thing is she admits that all of it were wrong and she doesn't really want broken bones. She never said if I don't break bones I don't love her. She just thinks that after all of that, these guys did love her. Anyhow, I think you managed to make me feel a lot better.
Ricccardio
Ricccardio • Aug 3, 2020
tallslenderguy wrote:
Wow, tuff and complicated situation, i am sorry.

i'd suggest couple counseling. There are so many angles here, i believe it would be impossible to give specific input without a good overview of and from both of you. i know, it would take a pretty specialized counselor, but i'm sure they exist. Google is our friend lol. You seem open to input and counsel, if she is too, why not seek out a professional counselor to help mediate and wend through this? Objectivity of a third party trained (and professionally licensed) in counsel can help if both are looking for honest answers.

That said, i have some thoughts and feelings based on what you've written that may or may not help?

Do you both have a working, agreed upon, definition of "abuse?"
Do you both have a working, agreed upon, definition of "love?"

i may be misunderstanding you, but when you say (a couple of times): "I don't care about the past... I am not concerned with her past," what i see/feel (and wonder if she doesn't feel similarly) is "I don't care... I'm not concerned." i suspect you are meaning to convey something different, but suggest something may get lost in translation? It seems to me that she does care and is concerned about her past, that it influences who she is today, so to not care or be concerned may be seen as not caring or being concerned about her?

At the times she said you were "...not being dominant." Did you ask her to explain? Did she tell you specifically what she means by dominant? Does she know what You mean by "dominant?" Maybe they don't align? i think a lot of the failure of relationships comes from incompatibility. She may say, feel and think You are "not being dominant," and that may be conflicting for You because, hey, You are being You and You know You are Dom, but who You are and who she is may not fit?

You're a super smart guy. I think we both agreed on what abuse meant. We used it in the sense of being truly abused (non-consensual) and abuse that I gave her (consensual) meaning impact play. Love is something we actually had an argument about. I know, who does this? She told me that love was a feeling and how someone treated her. I told her that love was a commitment to prioritizing someone else either at the top of or very close to the top of their priorities and to always do what is in their well being couple this with a feeling. That is love for me. Anyone can treat you nicely. It doesn't mean they love you. She eventually agreed with me.

She doesn't like explaining or talking about what is going wrong. In reality, I know what she is talking about. I didn't feel Dominant. I didn't feel like I wanted to Dominate her. Deep down I did but the things she said turned me off and I thought she needed help more than anything else.
stingerdean{Dom}

Yes, i aggree

stingerdean{Dom} • Aug 3, 2020
With my woman, what we had even the first day we met, was beyound belief for me. It was truly love at first site. And we were pretty much in separatable from then on, unitl she started being wierd with me after about 18 months together. I have a degree in pshycoligy, and was a counceler for years to others who needed help. Many I sent to psychiatrist for the help they needed. (Oh, I can't spell anymore at 65. ) Anyway, I forgot the point I was trying to make. My life with her and since her has been so fucking complicated. She really fucked with my head to say the least. So i am thinking your at the early stages of realizing she fucked your head too. And just saying and implying you did not love her as much. is so fucking unbelievable. Me, I did every thing for this gal, paid her bills, bought her things, new instead of a resale shop, fucking thousands of dallars in rings and jewerly. And she say's, you don't care as much for me as you dead wife or you would not accidentally call me by her name. Ohwell, now I just opened up a can of beans you do not have to deal with. Sorry. again, best of luck to you. And as many say, Tme is the healer, Time will heal everything. Like time is all we got. I got less than 20 years myself. Lol, really I laugh about it. Can't change it.
Zedland​(dom male)
3 years ago • Aug 4, 2020
Zedland​(dom male) • Aug 4, 2020
It sounds like there are two ghosts standing over you shoulder and it disquiets you, which in turn upsets her. Beyond that your situation sounds complicated enough professional help is probably a good thing.

Though I do have one last nugget of wisdom. You need to accept that yes the people who love is the most can hurt is the most because of that. I know that is disturbing, to look in the mirror and know your a few bad choices away from being the asshole, but it does help is be on guard against that. Accepting this proverb also means your argument shifts from "they didn't love you" to "what they did was wrong and harmful". A premise she seems to have already partially accepted.

Best of luck.
stingerdean{Dom}

I am not the new Dom in the topic

stingerdean{Dom} • Aug 4, 2020
I was explaining how my past relationship was so very similiar to his breakup. Mine has been over for three years as far as anything physical. Just a occasional phone call.
I think that is finally over too with her most recent stupid phone call. I sure hope it is. Even the phone calls are a pain in the MIND
rosethorn​(sub female)
rosethorn​(sub female) • Aug 4, 2020
Better communication is needed. You use the word abuse in two separate ways which in itself can be confusing but im pointing this out because it could be an example of a communication error. If rack and ssc is used the word abuse in a bdsm context shouldn't exist, are you doing okay? Do you feel concerned after that scene? Abuse shouldn't exist and if its popped into your mind even as a word it might be worth making a note of.
Secondly this wont be popular but it might be how she is processing whats happened, you may not consider this correct or right but its for her to process and develop insight, this can't be rushed.
Two further points, many relationships like that start in a good place and end in a bad one, if they end at all... so when she is say this it might be from a time before things developed to this point. It may be obvious to yourself that isn't correct thinking for her but its her thinking correct or not in your view has nothing to do with it, its for her to work out and process in a way that works for her, it may be the only example she has. Imagine having to acknowledge any relationship you have ever known as abusive, thats really difficult and frankly rubbish position to be in and well depressive. It could be a coping skill. You have known her as a friend for some time so will know her better than i do obviously. Putting someone in this position to accept your truth or have no Dom is not necessarily helpful or consenting when this could be a coping skill while she comes to terms with whats happened and it needs to be on her time scale not yours obviously its your choice if you want to be involved. You understandably might be angry with the idiot but its her who is standing in front of you not him and yes it sucks when you can see the pain caused but
its it's still her. I say this only to highlight that as much as we would like to think otherwise every relationship especially when working with power dynamics has the potential to become abusive fast this can be emotional, physical or mentally abusive and its generally a good idea to be aware of this risk. You mentioned not being concerned about her past yet bring it up repeatedly, your in pain and it can't be easy to understand. Its likely shes feeling a similar way and when saying about love that its actually her reasoning with herself why she stayed because it could have felt that way at the start and hoped it would come back, again this can happen if she has no other examples, its nothing to do with not loving yourself. Whats obvious to yourself may not be obvious to her you both have a background thats made you who you are today. It sounds like your struggling to understand how a Dom could do such things if they loved the person. Your right its hard to grasp and i suspect thats why shes struggling. I would appreciate you being mindful of what ive written as having some experience.
Two examples come to mind, once my ex almost stabbed me. Sounds not great right. He had been awake for three weeks while i had been seriously ill trying to make sure i was okay. He had been awake so long he started to hallucinate saw me being attacked as an hallucination and picked up a knife in the kitchen just incase, his intentions was to stop me being attacked (was like a flashback) and yes i was fine no nothing happened.
Secondly i was tied up with rope i had to point out with the way i move (which he wouldn't have known) that there was a risk to me damaging my arm we then had a debate if it would dislocate or break because of where the pressure was combined with what i was tied to as it moved. These are done without ill intentions but could have changed very easily. I was fine after both but its important to talk about stuff, these where warnings and could easily have gone wrong. Its important to feel safe and discussions around whats gone wrong frankly suck and are hard but they do help to feel safe and avoid harm in future, aka you need sleep and self care as a Dom and maybe find something more stable to tie me to in future.

I have also seen what it looks like with the intention of harming someone. In my mind they are different for me because i would struggle to process these otherwise. Im sharing hopefully to help, not to justify anything done but offer a perspective thats all.
Make sure to look after yourself as a Dom too, you can't look after others unless you look after yourself first.
SirJLyle

I'm a new Dom experiencing a breakup. Help!!!

SirJLyle • Aug 4, 2020
Dear Ricccardo,

Wow. Some great insights above, so I don't have much to add. But this: my mother, God rest her soul, was a practicing psychotherapist (Freudian) who eventually concluded that the "talking cure" doesn't work. She moved on to what she called "workarounds." Jumper wires to bypass the damaged "motherboard" circuits that can never be fixed (this wiring takes place from birth to about age four). In many ways, I've found D/s (the "spanking cure") is an effective workaround. You swallow my darkness, baby . . . I'll give you a safe hell for your demons, etc. Which is what you've tried to give your sub. And what she sought from you.

I personally doubt that couples counseling will work, as some have suggested above. She might just turn on the therapist, or the therapist simply won't have the experience or wisdom to affect any positive outcome (unless s/he can offer a viable "workaround").

If my mom were your therapist, I think she'd tell you to cut your losses and move on. But if you insisted on *one more try* she'd suggest the following workaround: Both of you write out your wants and needs, then have a pre-re-engagement "meta talk" in which you lovingly go over your lists and agree to limits and protocols that you both live by in this "final attempt." For example, you might list, "no more mention of past Doms." Your limits have to come before her needs (OMG, broken bones, are you kidding? That's *definitely* Stockholm syndrome, trauma bond). What I'm saying is if she actually equates that level of violence with love, you don't want any part of that, stay away and move on. However, if she can see the wisdom of accepting your limits, the degree of D that you are willing to offer on your side of the D/s slash, then OK, you can move forward. It has to be fun (I mean it, even if it's "hard" fun . . . it has to be win-win.)

From what you write, you love each other, so it might warrant one more try. She needs to understand that you are probably her best chance at a viable workaround. The next Dom would engage her in understandable ignorance, so it would just be a "wash, rinse, repeat," for her--repeating the same pattern. That won't do her any good.

What I'm describing is a lot of work, so you'd both have to be up for it. But especially *you* need to be up for the work. It seems to me, sometimes in a D/s relationship the sub is the adult, mentoring the Dom, and sometimes the Dom is the adult, mentoring the sub. This sounds like she has some seriously miswired circuits (not really her fault, either, poor girl). You may not have the skill or stamina to devise a functional workaround. That's your call, but don't take on more than your experience allows.

What a wonderful community to have so many wise replies above. I hope my comments add in a positive way; please forgive if they are found unwelcome.

Best of luck, S4TS.
PawPawGirl​(sub female){Azzabackam}
3 years ago • Aug 5, 2020

New Dom

I am sorry you are hurting.
I can only give you a glimpse into this sub's mind, but I do know that my past has sometimes haunted my relationship with my Dom.

There are a few who I still talk to, and there were two I had to break all contact with because there was still a strong pull between us, even though they were not the best for me emotionally.

The best explanation I can give is that each awakened something inside of me. They didn't care about me as a person and abused their role as the dominant in our relationship; the rational part of my brain acknowledges that, but there is still a part of me that feels something because of that.

It can be difficult for those of us with deep emotional wounds to step outside of ourselves and see a relationship for what it was.. toxic, especially if it was our "normal".

Be patient. Those wounds took a long time to set, and they will take a long time to heal, but the love and support of a partner means a lot.