Online now
Online now

Halloween Horror Challenge

ursa​(sub female)
3 years ago • Oct 7, 2020

Jumping in at night 6

ursa​(sub female) • Oct 7, 2020
Zerospace wrote:
Hmmmm. Day 6 is so easy it is difficult.

A whole mess of new movies have come out in the last couple years that are in the satanic genre. I'd have to browse Shudder for all the names!

Aside from the classics mentioned by Bunnie (thanks, Bunnie!), other prominent choices in this category would be:
House of the Devil
House of 1000 Corpses (Dr. Satan!!!!)
The Babysitter (a new "cult" hit)
The VVitch
Angel Heart
Devil's Advocate
The Omen

Oh, the list goes on...

I'm thinking of watching something new, maybe We Summon The Darkness.

I love the VVitch, but I think it's probably better as historical fiction than really "horror," but maybe that's just me. I might save it for one of the witch themed nights though, my first thought for Hail Satan was also Rosemary's Baby like Bunnie.
Zerospace​(dom male){Amalthea}
3 years ago • Oct 7, 2020
Ursa! Welcome to the thread!

So, again (this seems to be my idiom this year), I went in a completely different direction at the last minute. For my Satanic feature, I chose...

Satanic Panic (2019)

This is sound advice for the savvy horror fan: pay attention to anything with Grady Hendrix's name attached to it. If he wrote it, you're looking at the beginnings of a horror legend. His books are good fun and his movies prove to be the same. He knows his genre films and is adept at picking them apart in hilarious ways. Satanic Panic was no exception, boasting a stacked cast, excellent acting, and a plot that had me guessing and gut-busting all at the same time. Good fun all around. I am very excited for his next film, Horrorstor (the book was a good read).

Today's theme is: Gothic!

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Where to begin: you could go old-school with the Universal Monster films, heavy-handed with Hammer Horror films, modern movies like Candyman (oh hell yes this is a Gothic Romance!), Woman in Black, Burnt Offerings...or go straight-up 80s Goth with The Hunger (David Bowie...yum!).

Whatever your pleasure, enjoy Day 7 of the Halloween Horror Challenge!
ursa​(sub female)
3 years ago • Oct 8, 2020
ursa​(sub female) • Oct 8, 2020
October 7th was "Gothic," right?

Was considering just straight up watching Gothic (Breasts with Eyes... wtf lol)
But instead, opted for Interview with the Vampire.
Not the first "Gothic" era I would really think of, but 1994 had it's moments.

Coffins, blood, vampires...
Let's do this.
IwtV is a perfect choice for this category. You can never go wrong with a period piece Vampire film.

I, too, went Vampire and watched 1931's Dracula, starring the sublime Bela Lugosi. [Chef's kiss] What a classic!
Sweetling​(sub female)
Sweetling​(sub female) • Oct 8, 2020
I have a very soft spot for the movie ‘Mama’ that came out in 2013. It has some creepy imagery as well as managed to generally endear me. Though, I’m not sure just where it would fit on this list, if at all!
Greetings Sweetling! Thanks for joining us!

Mama is totally creepy. Good choice! As a genre fan, I could see it placing in a couple categories:
Oct 11 - Ghosts Did It
Oct 13 - undead, undead
Oct 25 - For The Kiddies (if you wanted to be tongue-in-cheek about this theme title)

So that gives you a few options! Have fun and keep posting movie ideas for everyone!

Ok, folks. It is October 8th! DRAC ATTACK!
There are literally hundreds of movies that feature a character called Dracula. I won't insult you by naming those films (except Monster Squad; I'm totally here for that movie). Though I will suggest that you could play it for laughs a bit and watch the remake of Fright Night, but just because David Tenant delivers this line with such style: "You think I'm hanging out with Dracula? and the Easter Bunny? Fuck off!"
voodoobats
voodoobats • Oct 8, 2020
Fuck it, I'm going with Hotel Transylvania, because I bloody love it aha.

Oh, see what I did there...
ursa​(sub female)
3 years ago • Oct 9, 2020
ursa​(sub female) • Oct 9, 2020
Sweetling wrote:
I have a very soft spot for the movie ‘Mama’ that came out in 2013. It has some creepy imagery as well as managed to generally endear me. Though, I’m not sure just where it would fit on this list, if at all!

I think you could argue Mama for October 11th, "ghosts did it." I guess it's just one ghost, and perhaps Mama isn't the most traditional "ghost," but I think it still counts.
If not for October 11th, do October 25th (didn't realize Zerospace already pointed this out ;p)- even if this isn't how the topic was supposed to be interpreted, I'm sure Mama would want to do everything she could for the Kiddies.
ursa​(sub female)
3 years ago • Oct 9, 2020
ursa​(sub female) • Oct 9, 2020
Zerospace wrote:

I, too, went Vampire and watched 1931's Dracula, starring the sublime Bela Lugosi. [Chef's kiss] What a classic!

Good choice. Might do some Bela Lugosi for my Drac Attack.