Online now
Online now

Halloween Horror Challenge

Zerospace​(dom male){Amalthea}
3 years ago • Oct 20, 2020
So yeah. Tonight's theme is clearly my jam.
I have been introducing my eldest kid to the Friday the 13th series. Today we crammed in parts 3 and 4.
Then I topped the evening with Jigsaw, my favorite Saw movie after the original. I cannot say enough about how much I adore this movie!

I have been waiting all month to hear your picks for the them of the 20th: First Time Watch.

This is the moment I beg you to spare the $60 if you have it and buy a 1 year subscription to Shudder. Soooooooooooooooooo many movies to watch if you are a die-hard horror nutter like me.

Choose wisely!
DaddiesPumpkin​(switch female){Not Lookin}
Okay, so the theme for tonight is going to be extremely hard!!😱

I subscribed to Shudder last night & oooh boy, all the selections... Endless!!!😩 this is certainly going to take some time on deciding where to start but ooooo, I can't wait to just pick something I've never seen.

Enjoy Night 20!! πŸŽƒπŸ‘»
Bunnie
Bunnie • Oct 20, 2020
This is an easy one for me lol.
My housemate has introduced me to the Insidious movies... so my β€œfirst time watch” shall be Insidious: Chapter 3.
@ Kore - Congrats on your Shudder subscription! You will not be disappointed! If you haven't seen it already, I would definitely watch "Host". Short but super creepy!

@Bunnie - I wish we all had such an easy choice!

@ Aries Chris - Holy hell, you chose a good one. It is super dark and a slow burn, but stick with it because the ending will have you curled into a ball.

Oh this is fun!
Okay, peeps! I've been asked by a couple people to help them pick something they have never seen before. Since I do not know what you are willing to pay or what streaming services you have access to, I will do my best:

Amazon Prime selections:
Blumhouse just release 4 new genre films that look like they have horror elements: Nocturne, Black Box, Evil Eye, and The Lie.
The Houses October Built (I haven't seen this but I hear good things)
30 Days of Night (for the hard-core vampire fan)
Night of the Demons (camping classic)
John Carpenter's Vampires (in case you can still stomach James Woods)
Leviathan (overlooked sci-fi horror rip-off of The Abyss, still fun)
Midsommar (sweet lord this movie is amazing...slow burn but hits it out of the park in the end)
The Lighthouse (surreal Lovecraftian horror, artsy)
Slumber Party Massacre (soooo stupid it's fun)
Silent Hill (surprisingly suspenseful video game adaptation)
Cabin In The Woods (highly recommend this genre bender)
Hereditary (see Midsommar, I think they are by the same filmmaker)
Child's Play (2019 remake, surprisingly good and has nothing to do with the original)
Witchboard (one of Vincent Price's later films, always good fun with him)

Netflix:
Adam Sandler's new movie is called Hubie Halloween, if you like his sort of thing (i'm 50/50 on his stuff)
House of 1000 Corpses (Rob Zombie's first film is still his best film)
Hush (creepy stalker film)
Holidays (covers the whole year of events, but they are all horror stories; goofy fun anthology)
The Autopsy of Jane Doe (suspenseful and does not go where you think it will)
Session 9 (underrated masterpiece in slow-build tension)
Creep (brilliant hand-cam movie with a lot of twists and surprises)
It Comes At Night (i'd call this existential horror; brilliantly made and open for interpretation)
The Babysitter (goofy fun satanic horror; just had a sequel come out)
Polaroid (predictable but entertaining, made by the guy who made the Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark film (which I also recommend))
Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (stand-alone film from the horror series; IT IS A CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE!!! so much fun and never the same movie twice)

Movies you can probably find anywhere if you look hard enough or are willing to pay $2.99 for a rental:
Hell House, LLC (found footage film, absolute terror from beginning to end)
Ginger Snaps (made female body horror cool before Jennifer's Body did it)
House On Haunted Hill (1999 remake with Geoffrey Rush; campy good fun and lots of twists)
Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (genre bender, meta-slasher, sooooo cool, look for all the cameos!)
The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh (slow burn, grief horror with angelic/demonic overtones)
Odd Thomas (hells bells I miss Anton Yelchin; campy good fun from the director of the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies)
Exorcist III (flawed but underrated, this includes the single greatest jump scare in all of horror film history (actually true, not my opinion))
Horns (dramatic horror where Daniel Radcliffe turns into a demon...soooo funny, so well done)

Hit me up if you need more. I'll just started taking pix of my movie cabinets (yup, cabinets. Plural).
Bunnie
Bunnie • Oct 20, 2020
Ok, with such an awesome selection of suggestions, I’m changing mine lol.

I’m going to check out Session 9.

@ Zerospace, Thank you!
DaddiesPumpkin​(switch female){Not Lookin}
Agree with Bunnie, 😱 named so many good ones, some I've never heard of... Haha, makes this too hard.

Just checked out the trailer for "Host" & it looks like it could be a good one!πŸ‘€ Thanks for suggesting that, Zerospace! Being approx. 60mins long, I soo need another pick or two to follow up with. (long night ahead)

Okay, let's see... I'm drawn to watching "It comes at Night" or maybe test my luck and watch the new "Child's Play". πŸ€” I could start early & fit all 3 in. Really want to watch something that leaves me in a paranoid fit all night, lol. One that has me cursing myself for watching it all alone.πŸ˜‚

Wow!! Not cabinet.. But cabinets!!! Need to step my game up some, haha... Awesome icon_smile.gif πŸŽƒπŸ‘»