Online now
Online now

Is the 'ed' on "transgendered" offensive or misleading?

androidboy​(sub trans man)
6 years ago • Dec 14, 2017
androidboy​(sub trans man) • Dec 14, 2017
Also like, obviously being trans is heartachingly hard, but I actually think it's amazing that it's "trendy" to be trans, which really just means that more and more young people find it okay and acceptable to be examining gender. I don't think it's a bad thing that teenagers are looking at themselves and finding nothing wrong with being like "wow, maybe I'm trans?". I think it shows a greater level of liberation in society.

Like obviously it's not easy, but I also think the more people willing to consider the notion of themselves being trans, the better (even if they come to the end of the journey and think they're probably cis after all). I don't think it's fair to look at people like these and be like "well obviously they just thought transness was trendy and are trying to get on the wagon, when we've Suffered More". I think I'm just really happy for people making self-introspective journeys about their own gender.

And, if people don't suffer for being the type of trans that they are, then all the more power to them? Transness isn't characterised by suffering, it shouldn't be characterised by lifelong dysphoria and suicidality and hardship.

I guess I just don't agree with a lot of the negativity around "transness is trendy nowadays and it shouldn't be, because "Real Trans People" suffer more". I think it's fucking great that transness is acceptable, I think it's fucking great that trans people aren't suffering in their transness. I think a lot of the rhetoric around "transtrenders" is to do with gatekeeping practices that the community as a whole could do more to stay away from.
Lady Pheonix​(dom female)
6 years ago • Dec 14, 2017
Lady Pheonix​(dom female) • Dec 14, 2017
Isn't there a phrase "Judge not ...... lest ye be judged" ?

Trendy has nothing to do with how you express yourself, unless you are so shallow a trend is more important than possibly destroying your life, and maybe losing all your family and friends that is.

I have, in my life, lost a LOT of good friends who were either pre or post op, one to jumping in front of a train, another to a massive overdose,,,, and the list goes on. THIS is the reality of the 'trans' life.

Acceptability is wonderful, but i still see people suffering, globally, trying to earn acceptance on a local level, and personally, i think the media lauding and applauding certain people have left it trendy, without actually lifting the veil on the issues real people go through.

and can some please destroy the term "real trans" for me,,,, it smacks deeply of "i am better than you", and that sucks donkey vomit anywhere icon_biggrin.gif
Al Le Gory​(sadist female)
6 years ago • Dec 28, 2017
Al Le Gory​(sadist female) • Dec 28, 2017
Grammar aside, I think it depends on the context, however, as a labelling term it's highly anachronistic and tends to be used by individuals that know little - if anything - about the wide transgender spectrum. What's wrong with using trans* as an umbrella term?