Online now
Online now

Should people be discussing politics on a BDSM site?

NoClvrNickname​(sub female)
2 years ago • Jun 6, 2021
I think if someone wants to talk about *whatever* on their personal blog, so be it. Anyone who doesn’t want to read it doesn’t have to. The public forums tho, IMO, are not the place for politics.
obsequiae​(dom male)
obsequiae​(dom male) • Jun 6, 2021
NoClvrNickname wrote:
I think if someone wants to talk about *whatever* on their personal blog, so be it. Anyone who doesn’t want to read it doesn’t have to. The public forums tho, IMO, are not the place for politics.

This is exactly my position as well. I also am of the mind that life and politics are inextricably linked with one another. But considering it's just Villanelle and Cage Monkey moderating on the site, it's hard enough already to moderate so I understand the reason behind closing off this particular path of discourse.
SageFlame​(sub female)
SageFlame​(sub female) • Jun 6, 2021
Okay so Monica Lewinsky is out or in bounds for open discussion ?

( couldn't resist)

Honestly though, I have much to say but will only say this: The Cage is first and foremost a safe place for acceptance, expression and education. ( nod to the creator and keepers) Politics tends to heat up defenses creating less than effective progress to the goal here.

Another question comes to mind though. Who is in control here at The Cage anyway? ( pondering)
Defender​(dom male)
Defender​(dom male) • Jun 6, 2021
As a UK resident, a Politics graduate and passionately interested in politics, I say no, please no!

Politics and your political view is NOT what I come here for.

Please resist the temptation that all of us who are interested in politics have, the temptation to share your political views on here.

You will absolutely not change anyone's opinion.

There is an old saying:

"Never wrestle with pigs.

You will just get covered in sh*t.

But the pigs will love it".
SageFlame​(sub female)
@Defender "You will absolutely not change anyone's opinion."

Certainly, politicians would like to persuade but there is such a thing as discussing politics using the front part of the brain. Also, an open mind to being solution based. I'm not being sarcastic.

I get that politics throughout history have polarized communities, families and countries. Heck, a Scottish Quern literally lost her head over a political power struggle. But that's not the alpha and omega of politics.
Politics are what we choose to make it.

John Lennon moment: *Imagine. . . Having a conversation about politics with out criticism or power struggle. It can happen. (has)
Defender​(dom male)
Defender​(dom male) • Jun 6, 2021
"Having a conversation about politics without criticism or power struggle. It can happen".

Indeed it can.

I have done it many times.

But all too often it can degenerate into something unpleasant.

Personally I'd prefer not to risk that, or have to witness that on here.

Just my opinion.

Being a politician I accept that other opinions exist...... 😉
SageFlame​(sub female)
"But all too often it can degenerate into something unpleasant."

( I'm going off the cuff here)

Interesting point.
I have witnessed many unpleasant "discussions" that were polarizing and shame throwing here; all within policy guidelines as far a bdsm. I find it interesting that when politics are the topic people jump in to shout "NO". But if someone's identity or preference are the involved most stand by and say nothing even though it is a very unpleasant "discussion".

So being unpleasant doesn't appear to be the deciding factor. Could it be segregation? And if so, what is the root cause of segregation in society?

My mind goes to the possibility of stereotyping. . . even prejudice? ouch!

Why are politics out? Haven't politics played front and center with sexual freedom, or self expression? I think yes.

So if we are not afraid of unpleasant discussion than what is it? Anyone?
Mister Anderson​(dom male)
The rules are the rules. Even though this blog post has nothing to do with bdsm, it doesn't violate the guidelines. On the other hand, this is the most political thread I've ever seen on the cage to date.
poppyclaire​(sub female)
poppyclaire​(sub female) • Jun 6, 2021
This really is the most political post I've seen either (outside of some people being explicit about their political stance in their bios which I appreciate). Politics really doesn't come up that often here (and I've been here through an election cycle) so why this thread in the first place?

What do you mean by politics? A clear definition with examples of what is out of bounds would be helpful.
SageFlame​(sub female)
2 years ago • Jun 7, 2021
SageFlame​(sub female) • Jun 7, 2021
@Poppyclair
"What do you mean by politics? A clear definition with examples of what is out of bounds would be helpful."

Follow me for a second- thought this might help.

Following the rabbit trail:

A. I posted a topic asking " Have you found a measure of freedom?" ( this was not specifying context, I left it open)

B. Someone commented with a strong political stance regarding U.S.A. politics and government. ( though others answered with various context )

C. Another person started a new forum topic ( the one in which this text is placed) 🙂

I did forget to mention that per Cage community guidelines topics should be "in bounds" of bdsm, kink and sexual freedom.
Also within guidelines are discussions and debate. Those lines are not defined.

In regards to your question- I would imagine those discussing would first agree on the definition in order to proceed. No one has done that as it was not the focus of any thread here at the cage.co

Well, with the exception of this thread.

The thread I started was about freedom.