Online now
Online now

Should people be discussing politics on a BDSM site?

SageFlame​(sub female)
2 years ago • Jun 7, 2021
SageFlame​(sub female) • Jun 7, 2021
@ Miss Strict
"I know everyone has freedom of speech. But is it honstly a good idea to be discussing politics on a BDSM dating site?
Facebook and Twitter is already filled with political topics so why bring them into a site like this one?
Its almost as stupid as bringing up politics at family events.
Just my opinion but I can see it destroying a wonderful site like this. Everyone starts arguing, spiting hatred at each other."

I realize I've not addressed your original question/ post

Diving in:

1. I hear you are concerned. That this site is special and you don't want to see a good place change.

2. I also hear fear. That if discussion of politics goes unchecked it could lead to ugly, hateful, hurtful spitting behavior. You used the word destroy- I see this as fear of losing something you value.

3. You felt an urgency; so much so that you started a forum thread stating your concerns.

Please correct me if I am wrong in my assessment.

In response:

First of all, I'm here at The Cage because there was no other place or people to be free in talking about my deviant bend. I see value in the people here and am grateful for those who maintain the site. I've seen the moderators do there job and I can imagine not a pleasant one at times. It would seem change is always necessary and an innovative move in maintaining a business. I'm saying this in favor of change in general.

To the fear of hateful, spitting behavior, that has already happened on this site and not about politics.

To your sense of urgency and concern, I totally get it. Though I don't fear politics can destroy this site, I definitely feel a sense of responsibility to keep it a safe and inviting place.

For the few that have stated strong political views on this site, I'd venture to guess that they too want to uphold a welcoming feeling.

However, there are overlapping areas of politics and bdsm as well as litigation and bdsm.

The thread I started was an open ended question about freedom. I wanted to see authentic responses by not specifying a direction. Have you read the non political responses to that question? Some beautiful stuff.

I appreciate the whistle blow. 😉
Lovingly Strict​(dom female)
@ sageFlame

I realize I've not addressed your original question/ post
Diving in:
1. I hear you are concerned. That this site is special and you don't want to see a good place change.
2. I also hear fear. That if discussion of politics goes unchecked it could lead to ugly, hateful, hurtful spitting behavior. You used the word destroy- I see this as fear of losing something you value.
3. You felt an urgency; so much so that you started a forum thread stating your concerns.
Please correct me if I am wrong in my assessment.

You couldn't be more wrong.
1. This site isn't special to me in the lest bit.
2. I'm not afraid and again site is not of value to me.
3. Its not a "urgency" I generally wanted to know peoples thoughts on the matter.
4. Not to be mean but your people reading skills could definitely use some work.
Lovingly Strict​(dom female)
@ sageFlame
I had no idea you made a post that had people talking politics in it. I just seen a few blogs about abortion rights and guns. So generally wanted to know what others thought about seeing politics on a bdsm site
sineater
sineater • Jun 7, 2021
How can you not? When kinks and fetishes are an essential component of our sexuality, and when a portion of our government (American at least) feel the need to control some other component of our sexuality, then politics and kinks are linked.

Obviously, it shouldn't be the majority of the discussion, and should be relegated to the appropriate spaces (off topic).
Sasa​(dom female)
Sasa​(dom female) • Jun 7, 2021
You are new here, so welcome to this forum.

People discuss a little bit about religion, politics and kink and all other stuff. Let people do what they think is correct as long as it is polite. I don't see a reason for a speech police, maybe for trolls you have a point but not in case of a topic others enjoy. It is not difficult to ignore what's not interesting for you.

And it is a forum, for some a kind of place just to find like minded people ... the blogs are not all kinki. They are about dancing, about DIY sometimes, heartbreak. It's precious to have something like that here. Enjoy the community, take what you want and leave the rest with respect. I do it.
SageFlame​(sub female)
SageFlame​(sub female) • Jun 7, 2021
@ Miss Strict

Thank you for the input.
Though you say no offense, this does not change how we can come across. You seemed rather pointed when all I was trying to do is provide my thoughts and opinions. I would be interested in seeing those comments about abortion and guns - I do not see it when scanning the forum.
The post I made was about freedom ( Have you found a measure of freedom?) I would be interested in hearing your thoughts about it and where you have been able to find freedom through the bdsm culture and experience.
Miki
Miki • Jun 7, 2021
Politics do not fit in here.

For the most part it either generates unnecessary acrimony which can be found all over the world.

There's more than enough of that crap on "mainstream social media" sites as it is.
poppyclaire​(sub female)
2 years ago • Jun 9, 2021
poppyclaire​(sub female) • Jun 9, 2021
@sageflame

Thanks! I saw that freedom post but didn't realize it got political, my first thought was sexual or financial.

Also appreciate the OP clarifying as well. I can't say I feel strongly on the idea of politics being discussed here. I will say if I saw anyone talking about really heavy political topics, I would and do avoid. Like, talk about what you want but I'm def leaving it alone but I do that with a lot of forum topics.