Online now
Online now

Gender identity ideology

Fyglia Wicked​(dom female)
2 years ago • Nov 25, 2021
Fyglia Wicked​(dom female) • Nov 25, 2021
WytchyWoman it's a no win situation if you dont fully unquestionably agree you will labled some type of phobic .
Jash is a educated white male no matter how he dumed down his post someone will go full on snowflake..
Jashine
Jashine • Nov 25, 2021
Thanks for the responses so far, which I need to read carefully and think about before making any kind of meaningful reply to any. I should say that in case you're wondering, I am intersex and was brought up as male, so I have an especial interest in this topic. Identity is very important and powerful, and it is not my intention to ride roughshod on anyone's identity; rather to ask questions icon_smile.gif
Sasa​(dom female)
Sasa​(dom female) • Nov 25, 2021
ok after this answer I know again why I turn the notifications off. With all respect to the good intention but being alarmed because of the "potential to cause harm" has never brought people together, sad but true. Maybe the idea of making others understand is not that important (of cause there would be stupid questions again and again - women had this, gays had it, lifestyler have it) and we all stay seperated and have a bath in our prejudices. I am sorry, I am old and just an uneducated cis. icon_wink.gif Happy Thankygiving by the way
simplylaura​(sub female){djinni}
Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry it derailed but it started right off the bat transphobia. The majority of my comments were not intended toward you (I included a link to a website I use in my research when formulating questions about trans folks in a previous post).

As a masc presenting cis woman I certainly have issues with matching my ID (don't even ask about bathrooms). It's a struggle and one that doesn't even match trans, intersex, and enby peoples experience at all.
Fyglia Wicked wrote:
WytchyWoman it's a no win situation if you dont fully unquestionably agree you will labled some type of phobic .
Jash is a educated white male no matter how he dumed down his post someone will go full on snowflake..

As I've said and said directly to Jash, the way he worded his question worried me. The first response to it is what I responded to. I happen to like educated people of all sorts and would never ask them to "dum" something down for someone.
Fyglia Wicked​(dom female)
Fyglia Wicked​(dom female) • Nov 25, 2021
simplylaura wrote:
Fyglia Wicked wrote:

As I've said and said directly to Jash, the way he worded his question worried me. The first response to it is what I responded to. I happen to like educated people of all sorts and would never ask them to "dum" something down for someone.

You looked for a reason to be offened while gatekeeping someone's post instead of reporting it If you thought there was any prejudice. Strawmaning while standing on a soapbox isnt educating fuck all .
Morgein
Morgein • Nov 25, 2021
The problem with believing you're being attacked is that, in looking for them, you begin to see attacks everywhere. And if you're wondering if this is pointed toward you, yes, it is.
Fyglia Wicked wrote:
simplylaura wrote:
Fyglia Wicked wrote:

You looked for a reason to be offened while gatekeeping someone's post instead of reporting it If you thought there was any prejudice. Strawmaning while standing on a soapbox isnt educating fuck all .

I'm not offended one bit. The only posts showing offense are folks who don't want to be civil about trans people. I refuse to keep my mouth shut when people say ignorant things.
Madame Eire​(dom female)
Madame Eire​(dom female) • Nov 25, 2021
“Gender refers to the characteristics of women, men, girls and boys that are socially constructed. This includes norms, behaviors and roles associated with being a woman, man, girl or boy, as well as relationships with each other.” (World Health Organization)

In today’s world gender identity*, and by extension gender expression** are more than the definition set forth by the World Health Organization, for example an individual can be non-binary, gender fluid, gender queer, transgender, agender, women, man, intersex etc. (this list is not exhaustive, merely a snapshot). Gender ideology and its discussion is extremely important at the moment given how the historical understandings and expressions of gender have changed dramatically over the last decade or so. This discussion is one applicable across the board whether one conforms to and expresses the stereotypical characteristics of women/men, chooses to present themselves as a hybrid or is reflective of neither.

What I believe the OP was asking is if other individuals have chosen to make visible their gender identity and in so doing did, they find they had to be highly overt, be it visually or verbally for instance in how they informed the world at large and what were the consequences of this. Was it a positive, freeing experience, where their authentic gender identity was accepted and welcomed or one fraught with even more challenges, whereby in making known their authentic gender identity did it place them at a greater risk of harm. As the OP has now stated he is intersex and has the right to ask and discuss these questions as it directly affects him and how he chooses to disclose his gender identity within contemporary society. To be honest I believe the discussion of gender identity is not the reserve of the transgender or intersex communities but is applicable to all. I can say as a woman within the current melee that is gender identity ideology it is equally valid for me to ask these questions, as the labeling, identification and use of female terms such as woman/women has become challenging over the last decade also. Because I am a woman does not make the questioning or expression of my gender identity in a wider context less than that of others.

What this thread and the answers given has shown is that when the topic of gender identity is broached factions of the transgender community and their allies shut it down, branding anyone who disagrees or challenges a transphobe or transphobic. I agree defending and protecting an individual’s right to be who they wish is important, what one cannot do is silence and dismiss other perspectives at will, for simply not agreeing. What these advantageous individual’s miss is that they do not have the monopoly on being the only ones having to navigate and deal with negative repercussions of identifying as anything but the expected male/female. The threat of violence against intersex people, in some countries is present from birth where a baby will not make it to the following day. In countries with strict religious rules etc. governing females, identifying as a woman can lead at best to a beating or whipping at worst to death. Homosexuals and lesbians depending on where they are born and what culture they are born into significantly increases the risk of death and/or violence, if known.

The only way for the world to come to permit an individual the freedom to express without fear their authentic gender identity is to allow open, honest and educational discourses to occur, where the resulting position is one I hope, I may not agree with how you define yourself, but I will fight tooth and nail for the right for you to express it how you wish, and support you in so doing.

*Gender identity is one's own internal sense of self and their gender, whether that is man, woman, neither or both. Unlike gender expression, gender identity is not outwardly visible to others. (www.npr.org)
**Gender expression is how a person presents gender outwardly, through behaviour, clothing, voice or other perceived characteristics. Society identifies these cues as masculine or feminine, although what is considered masculine or feminine changes over time and varies by culture. (www.npr.org)