Online now
Online now

Contraception

Bunnie
1 year ago • Jun 7, 2022
Bunnie • Jun 7, 2022
@ Ingénue,

I was told that. At 35 I went to my Dr and asked to have my tubes tied and they told me that because I hadn’t had any children, I actually wasn’t allowed to have it done until I was 40. It is as mentioned, because the procedure is irreversible for females. I’m guessing that decision is based on a lot of females regretting the decision? Even recently when I went to my local women’s health clinic, the nurse recommended I hold off until 45, just to be sure. I do respect their medical opinion, and do believe that it is based on what is believed to be best advice practices. However, there does need to be some way that there can be avenues available for those who are sure of their choices. There really are simply people who do not want children as a lifestyle choice.
Miki
1 year ago • Jun 7, 2022
Miki • Jun 7, 2022
I'm barely qualified to stick my two cents in except from an STD angle, as I am and always have been unable to conceive. But from a health standpoint I kept my activities to men I know who are and always were meticulous about testing and who they play with, but other than that, the much-maligned rubbers are the quickest if not totally perfect solution.

I know some men who have had a vasectomy and aside from a good few days to a week of not being able to move around much, let alone work.. that, too ends up being not 100% foolproof.

But strictly from disease prevention point of view if one isn't too familiar with their male partner, put on the raincoat, fella!

My understanding is they make some that don't interfere too much with the pleasure-of-contact. But that's strictly from what the manufacturer says.

Somewhere on the fucking box it probably says "Individual Results May Vary"
fifteen annakitten​(sub female)
1 year ago • Jun 7, 2022
[quote="Ingénue"]
fifteen annakitten wrote:
Also, good luck finding a provider to do a tubal in many areas on a woman without kids or a married woman without her husband's permission.

Slight swerve here (Sorry Bunnie) but wow, that's a whole new level of healthcare misogyny right there. Sorry to read.

Yes, I should have mentioned I live in the US whose favorite past time is controlling women, and not in the fun-consentual way. F*k the patriarchy.

My apologies too Bunnie, I'll stop now. 🙃
DeepEmbrace​(dom female)
1 year ago • Jun 7, 2022
DeepEmbrace​(dom female) • Jun 7, 2022
Bunnie - I think there are progesterone only birth control pills. They usually try to push folks onto the estrogen having ones but I'm pretty sure there are progesterone only options because some people cannot take estrogen due to cancer history, heart issues, stroke risk, and/or migraines (among other things that contraindicate estrogen-containing birth control pills).
DeepEmbrace​(dom female)
1 year ago • Jun 7, 2022
DeepEmbrace​(dom female) • Jun 7, 2022
[quote="fifteen annakitten"]
Ingénue wrote:
fifteen annakitten wrote:
Also, good luck finding a provider to do a tubal in many areas on a woman without kids or a married woman without her husband's permission.

Slight swerve here (Sorry Bunnie) but wow, that's a whole new level of healthcare misogyny right there. Sorry to read.

Yes, I should have mentioned I live in the US whose favorite past time is controlling women, and not in the fun-consentual way. F*k the patriarchy.

My apologies too Bunnie, I'll stop now. 🙃

Yup. Good luck finding a doctor in the US who will tie tubes or do a hysterectomy if you are younger than menopause age and/or do not have kids. They think if you have a womb your sole purpose is to pop out babies and, if you disagree, then well they say you just dont realize yet that you want kids. 🙃

Lots of horror stories about folks who dont want children being refused sterilization procedures because some holier than thou doctor or nurse won't "allow" it. Many people have to travel wayyyy far like to other states or visit tens and tens of doctors in their home state to find someone that respects their decision and will perform the procedure.
Atila​(sub female)
1 year ago • Jun 8, 2022
Atila​(sub female) • Jun 8, 2022
I’m going to be that person with medical background that is completely pedantic. I’ll apologized upfront.

And I also hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, hormone birth control most likely than not will have side effects. It’ll depend on each woman, so we can not really predict how you’ll react to them.

There’s some other options I’m sure you heard from the nurse, like the diaphragm, but you probably know there’s a higher risk of getting pregnant with those.

The cooper IUD has its own risks, such as bleeding, pain and ectopic pregnancy. Some symptoms can get better with time. Mirena is a hormonal IUD, so there are side effects too. But because that one and the NuvaRing release hormones in a more “local” manner, side effects are less common in comparison to others.

Honestly, the best non-hormonal birth control is still the condom. But, try the cooper IUD, see how it works, if you have side effects, you can move to something else.
CSI
CSI
1 year ago • Jun 8, 2022
CSI • Jun 8, 2022
I have a copper iud, which is will last until I am 45. When inserting something large, I can feel it is there, but other than that, I don't notice it at all. I don't think there have been any other effects
Bunnie
1 year ago • Jun 8, 2022
Bunnie • Jun 8, 2022
I really appreciate all this feedback, thank you icon_smile.gif
DewofHermon​(sub female)
1 year ago • Jun 9, 2022
DewofHermon​(sub female) • Jun 9, 2022
I was speaking from a medical perspective to weigh in those options mentioned by the OP instead of my personal experience. What worked for me and has not failed is the natural method: a combination of timing, abstinence, and pull-out. I think this requires some self-discipline and may not be accepted by some people who have hyper-sexuality (like someone described in his profile the needs of sex 2-4 times a day 😅). But it is the least harmful way of contraception. And an additional benefit of waiting is it can make two more passionate and intimate.

In terms of timing, if you have a regular cycle, it’s easy. There are also ways you can time ovulation like tracking your base body temperature. Basal body temperature is your temperature when you're fully at rest. Again this takes some practice but it’s safe and natural.