Online now
Online now

Profile visible to members only?

Villanelle​(staff)
6 years ago • Apr 18, 2018
Villanelle​(staff) • Apr 18, 2018
This is still near the top of our priority list and we hope to have it ready for you all very soon. I know it's been a bit of a wait and I promise you we are working as hard as we can to maintain and improve the site as quickly as possible.
Fudbar​(dom male){❤️❤️❤️}
Mockingbear wrote:
I will not participate, and I know a host of other people who'd like to leave that other site for a better alternative, who also will not use this platform unless a profile can be made members only and you have a good grip with regards to privacy. I've been coming back every other month just to check in on this.

"and you have a good grip with regards to privacy..." This is the best part. The admins here have a VERY good 'grip on privacy'. They know exactly how it works and what information is accessible and indexable.

Most of the users on this site do not understand the basics about how the internet works. It's sad, but true. They also have unrealistic expectations of privacy, and idiotic thoughts about what is 'illegal'. If site rules allowed it, I'd happily post that pic of you licking at statue in Helsinki that I found in 30 seconds. It's public. You're an idiot if you think it's not a simple matter to pull pics from Fet, and YOU DID IT TO YOURSELF! Search me.. dumbass. Fetlife is the site that 'doesn't have a grip on privacy', and lets their users think that their info is protected. It's really not.
LordofPain56
LordofPain56 • Apr 18, 2018
Not sure how it would help to incorporate members only viewing of profiles. Any old yahoo who has the time to waste rifling through member profiles on websites where they are not members surely also has enough time to become a member and fill out a fake profile right? So what does it gain?
Villanelle​(staff)
6 years ago • Apr 19, 2018
Villanelle​(staff) • Apr 19, 2018
Yes, some of you have noticed..we finally have privacy options up and working! You can set your profile to registered Cage Users only or to 'guests', which means everyone. You'll find this setting on your profile page.

Thanks for your patience in regards to these options! More to come icon_smile.gif
Mockingbear​(dom male){(<•>)}
5 years ago • Apr 20, 2018
Fudbar wrote:

Most of the users on this site do not understand the basics about how the internet works. It's sad, but true. They also have unrealistic expectations of privacy, and idiotic thoughts about what is 'illegal'. If site rules allowed it, I'd happily post that pic of you licking at statue in Helsinki that I found in 30 seconds. It's public. You're an idiot if you think it's not a simple matter to pull pics from Fet, and YOU DID IT TO YOURSELF! Search me.. dumbass. Fetlife is the site that 'doesn't have a grip on privacy', and lets their users think that their info is protected. It's really not.

I know that that picture is public under the same user name, Sherlock. Other stuff is decidedly not. I want something *better* than Fet, because Fet sucks with regards to protecting users from all kinds of abuse. But thanks for making my point.
MissBonnie​(dom female){oz}
5 years ago • Apr 21, 2018
Evangeline wrote:
Yes, some of you have noticed..we finally have privacy options up and working! You can set your profile to registered Cage Users only or to 'guests', which means everyone. You'll find this setting on your profile page.

Thanks for your patience in regards to these options! More to come icon_smile.gif

Thank you for looking out for us all. Love the new feature!
Fudbar​(dom male){❤️❤️❤️}
5 years ago • Apr 21, 2018
Mockingbear wrote:
I know that that picture is public under the same user name, Sherlock. Other stuff is decidedly not. I want something *better* than Fet, because Fet sucks with regards to protecting users from all kinds of abuse. But thanks for making my point.

I'm really not sure what 'protecting users from all kinds of abuse' means to you. Here's what it looks like to MURICA! right now:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/03/how-congress-censored-internet (Hint: It's not a good thing.)

Also, please define 'have a good grip on privacy'. What are your expectations on privacy online, and why do you think that the solution lies in having site admins bubble wrap things and 'protect' people rather than personal responsibility? Cite specific examples of site wide policies you'd like to see, and why you think they will achieve that goal. How do you think 'protecting users from all kinds of abuse' can be realistically achieved through hiding things from public view?

I have argued, and continue that radical openness and transparency are the best solutions against abuse. Right now, both The Cage and Fet support only two options for problematic users, blocking and reporting. Neither is open or transparent. The number of blocked users, the nature of their offenses, and the actions taken against them are unknown. Abusers are 4 bucks a month and a VPN away from simply repeating the behavior, and new users have no clue that person is back in the fold.

To further frustrate things, both Fet and Cage have policies against publicly naming an abuser or confronting them in any open and transparent manner. The best one can do is report and hope. This only creates a strong 'bystander effect' (someone else must have reported them, I'm sure.. none of my business...) , and abuse victims seldom report publically. More stigma. There's a reason 'shit lists' are a thing.