Online now
Online now

Forum Fightclub

Ingénue{VK}
1 year ago • Sep 25, 2022

Forum Fightclub

Ingénue{VK} • Sep 25, 2022
I am curious about whether there are any studies on how many posts it takes for a cage forum thread to descend into bickering and fighting and games of who knows best. I'm wondering if this is a Dom or a sub or just a vanilla human thing?

I'm sure it wasn't like this in the good old days of 2018 and probably earlier but I can't be bothered to scroll back. Is this fighting something to be encouraged or should we continue to offer sensible input on the original post after the fighting has started? Is it rude to interrupt a fight?
    The most loved post in topic
Moonlighter​(dom male)
Moonlighter​(dom male) • Sep 25, 2022
I think its an Internet thing, had an ex tell me once "it's the Internet, everyone's offended"

I think people need to air their opinions, but at the same time forum chats could be considered like trains ... once they're running away best to just steer clear really.

Opinions are, after all, like arseholes and I don't think there's a butt plug big enough.
RoseUndressed​(sub female)
RoseUndressed​(sub female) • Sep 25, 2022
It's like a family gathering at my parent's house.

I sit in the corner with a whiskey and a smoke and let it run.
My cousin has recently taken to joining me. His smokes are more interesting than mine.
Bunnie
1 year ago • Sep 26, 2022
Bunnie • Sep 26, 2022
I usually get in fast, leave a response and stop reading lol. If the notifications stay as occasional, then I’ll peek back and see what’s been added, but if I start getting frequent notifications, it usually means people are having a peeing contest and I’m done with the thread. It’s become so predictable it’s boring icon_sad.gif
IronWorld​(sadist male)
IronWorld​(sadist male) • Sep 26, 2022
Bunnie wrote:
I usually get in fast, leave a response and stop reading lol.

Coward. (kidding)

There's a finesse to internet argumentation that most people don't understand. Its never about arguing against the person on the opposite on the other side of the screen. Its entirely about the presentation to the other people watching the argument. I recommend the ice cream scene from Thank You for Smoking.
obsequiae​(dom male)

Re: Forum Fightclub

obsequiae​(dom male) • Sep 26, 2022
Ingénue wrote:
I am curious about whether there are any studies on how many posts it takes for a cage forum thread to descend into bickering and fighting and games of who knows best. I'm wondering if this is a Dom or a sub or just a vanilla human thing?

I'm sure it wasn't like this in the good old days of 2018 and probably earlier but I can't be bothered to scroll back. Is this fighting something to be encouraged or should we continue to offer sensible input on the original post after the fighting has started? Is it rude to interrupt a fight?

It's a human thing. It plays out yes on the internet on forums, but also in places like the house of commons (PMQs), our congress. Come to think about it, Tucker Carlson's program is him having a slapfight with a bunch of strawmen that aren't really there.

As to whether to reply when there's fighting going on - back when I had premium if I felt the need to impart some advice i'd just send a direct message. But, there's also nothing wrong with just ignoring everything else and quoting the OP to re-focus the conversation (or at least signal intent to not get involved in the tangents) and then say what you want.
Richlydefined​(sub female){Gardener}
I spend a lot of time with large gatherings of people and I would say that the fighting is something that people just do but there are some big differences. On the internet, conflicts end up concentrated in places like a forum. Since all anyone has is text there, people can go back and (over) analyze what has been said because once it's posted they can read it over and over or go back and continue to take offense to the comment. Personally, I am of a belief that written responses are useless because they don't properly convey the subtle nuances of tone that we would use when speaking aloud to understand one another. On the internet, every forum post is like stacking dominoes and once one party is (seemingly or intentionally) injured more and more can (and will) piggyback on that.
As to whether we should step in? I don't think we should let things run rampant but I don't think we should feed the issue either. I feel that both of those things have to be fixed on a personal level though. People seem to have forgotten that just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean that they are suddenly evil or that they hate you just because they don't agree, they are just a different person with a different point of view. Until people learn to apply that mentality before they respond, it will never stop.
FlyingAlan​(dom male)
FlyingAlan​(dom male) • Sep 26, 2022
Yeah, honestly it's an internet thing I think. I have watched chat groups on Space issues, Model building Model railroading etc... It's just basic human nature when you can say whatever you want with no repercussions what so ever. Unfortunately every thing always has good and bad points to it and this is one of the bad parts of the "New information age"
FlyingAlan​(dom male)
FlyingAlan​(dom male) • Sep 26, 2022
>>> Personally, I am of a belief that written responses are useless because they don't properly convey the subtle nuances of tone that we would use when speaking aloud to understand one another. <<<

My joke is there are 40 ways to say "Dude" Angry dude, happy dude, sad dude, etc... However in text, it's just 4 damn letters with NO sense of the nuances and inflections of tone. My rule is I will NOT have a serious conversation with my friends or lovers via text.
Bunnie
Bunnie • Sep 26, 2022
“Coward. (kidding)”

Lol! Totally icon_smile.gif