Online now
Online now

A question for rope bunnies…

Bunnie
2 years ago • Jul 13, 2021

A question for rope bunnies…

Bunnie • Jul 13, 2021
How do you achieve/maintain strength, fitness and suppleness?

I’m back to practicing yoga again pretty regularly to help with strength, fitness and suppleness, however, I’m wondering if there are any other ways people go about things?
I’ve been considering aerial yoga as a form of “training” for suspension. Has anyone done this?
SageFlame​(sub female)
SageFlame​(sub female) • Jul 13, 2021
Whatever you choose I gotta emphasize *warm up!! To prevent injury at any age warm up! (and hydrate)

Yoga isn't yoga. The wide spectrum of types and practice make it fashionable for any need. Try a wide variety.

What benefits you depends on your body. Your body form as well as current health and fitness. This being one of the reasons to try various types of yoga.

I'm a runner with quick twitch muscles and was born with long muscles so flexibility has came easy for me. Hatha yoga was a way for me to slow down and rejuvenate. For another person it may be challenging.

When I tried a vinyasa yoga class my butt was kicked. Royally! I barely kept up. It hit deeper into my muscle at the same time I was expected to balance. Holy cow! It was much more than a physical challenge but I don't go into that. By the end of class ( 1 hour) I was sweating, mentally charged, had muscle fatigue and was exhilarated. ( sound like a familiar combo?)

If I had followed a chart or book it would not have been the same. Follow an instructor who can offer suggestions and inspire.

So that is my shout out to yoga and finding your fit.

But what would challenge even a long time yogi is a **traditional ballet warm up. You can use a sturdy chair instead of a bar and should have a long or large mirror to ensure proper form. Without proper form effort is moot.

Awakening the body takes many forms and finding a match for your needs can be a fun journey. But I hope you find something that kicks your butt. It's such a fantastic feeling to find a new challenge and take steps to meet a new goal.

I'm looking forward to adding tai chi. I've heard great things! Have you tried it?
    The most loved post in topic
Bunnie
Bunnie • Jul 13, 2021
Ballet training… awesome suggestion, thank you.

I have had a fascination with, and dabbled in Tai Chi since my teens. A good friend recently recommended Qi Gong, which I looked into also. I want to go to regular group gatherings with these, however, just as I began looking seriously, Covid put an end to that. Now that things are available again, you have given me the reminder to go look again. Thank you!
chillfox
2 years ago • Jul 14, 2021
chillfox • Jul 14, 2021
I'm not sure what you mean by suppleness, but to keep strenght and fitness I like martial arts (Jiu jitsu and MMA); I'm not sure there is such a thing as training for suspension, but aerial yoga seems really fun. You could always try pole dancing too, it builds a lot of strenght and flexibility.
Maybe parkour? It's pretty fun and you get some really cool skills.
PyrrhoLeone​(dom male)
2 years ago • Jul 14, 2021
PyrrhoLeone​(dom male) • Jul 14, 2021
There was a podcast episode that addresses this question, among other things.

Rope Podcast
Episode 38
‘Developing a Rope Bottom Curriculum’

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4jwpXTQF1mKXd6lX06wU0M?si=KrbiKbtPRJC8OcH-e-3OaQ&dl_branch=1