Online now
Online now

Profile visible to members only?

Mockingbear​(dom male){(<•>)}
5 years ago • Apr 21, 2018
@Fudbar: I have a blog with my real name out there. Some stuff I write ends up there. I write about different things on Fet. Some of it is deeply personal, and I do it there in the hopes that the recipients are a community that understands and is a proper audience for it. If I knew a simple Google search could bring up my writings, I would not put them there. Sure, you can create an account and search for it, but that means effort. And I am using different user names for different purposes to keep them separate as much as possible. I don't have my face on the Fet profile. I was reluctant to have my face on Fet at all, but you can see it -- if you are on my friends list. And some writings are friends-only, too. I want to be able to make that distinction, that I can pick the audience for stuff that's only intended for friends to read or view.

Look, I know that these precautions are not perfect if someone were out to get me. I read Crash Override. But it's the same with my house. I have a lock on my front door, though if you want to break in, it's a matter of minutes.

I totally agree with your points otherwise. I also think there is no technical solution for the problem. It's foremost an ethics issue, and we are as yet ill-prepared as a society to deal with it. The lock on my front door works on ethics more than on making it technically impossible to break in.