Online now
Online now

How I Met Your Mother Dynamics: Main Relationships (Spoilers, but you knew that)

DangerousnBeautiful​(switch female)
2 years ago • Jan 21, 2022

How I Met Your Mother Dynamics: Main Relationships (Spoilers

Lily - Switch - Leaning Dom

Throughout the show we can see moments between Marshall and Lily that shows she is his dominant which may lead a lot of fans of the show to believe that she is a dominant, and some people like to think that because she was Scooter's dominant in their relationship. However, what most people fail to realize is that she is a submissive for Robin thus making her a switch.

Robin - Switch - Exactly 50/50

Throughout the show we can see that Robin's relationships fluctuate her into different dynamics but let's talk about her most serious relationships. Starting with Simon Tremblay her teenage years crush. She is seen being a mess of giggles, and concerned with how he thinks of her leading me to believe that she was a submissive for him. Her next relationship was with Ted, and he is the most submissive character in the show I can't even. So, clearly, he was her first relationship, that we know of, where she was the dominant. Next, finally, was her first relationship with Barney, and as much as he wants to seem like an alpha dog in the sexual world he is such a submissive when they actually get to the bedroom. After her first relationship with Barney she had her relationship with Don Frank. Don and Robin had much more of a both switch relationship, but he tended to be a lot more protective over her so that's why I think she's more of the submissive in their relationship. After Don we had Kevin and Kevin should've never been in a relationship with her because he was her therapist, but it happened anyway so let's talk about the relationship. Kevin is in the who teaches who aspect her dominant, but I think he's sexually her submissive. We can see in various moments that he's afraid of what to say to her, afraid of punishments mayhaps, but he also helps her control her anger. After Kevin she has the last serious relationship with a dominant that she has in the series. She has her relationship with Nick, and I knew he was her dominant as soon as he told her that when she got home they were gonna talk about the phrases "emergency" and "trapped under a car" although as time went on we can see that he is a service dom. After Nick we had Lilly, finally, and as previously stated Lily was Robin's submissive.

Marshall - Sub

Throughout the show we can see that Marshall is a submissive in and out of the bedroom, but he doesn't like the idea of being judged for it. From being to shy to ask the bartender for the Minnesota Tidal Wave to him being chained down to the bed in a wig while Lilly is topping him in a gorilla suit we see that Lily is his dominant.

Barney - Sub

Throughout the show we can see that Barney views himself as the alpha in the streets but as soon as he gets in the sheets he is a kinky soft boy, but let's talk about his most serious relationships. Starting with Shannon, his relationship before the show, his relationship with her was, in my opinion, before he realized that he was part of the community. So, there's not much to say about their dynamic except for the fact that when he leaves her we can see that she has dominant vibes when she makes fun of him, and how dare you make fun of my baby boy. Next, finally after sleeping with countless amounts of random women, he has his first relationship with Robin. We know that he is the submissive in their relationship through their moments together, but it pretty much cementes it when Barney confesses that Robin ties him up and uses a paddle to gently beat his balls from side to side. After Robin he had a relationship with Nora around the same time Robin had her relationship with Kevin, and honestly they were amazing for each other. The only thing that kept them from being a healthy monogamously collared relationship in the community was the fact that he was still in love with Robin. That love that both of them had for eachother led them to having an affair with each other, and when Nora found out she gave him the biggest out but he wanted Robin in the end of it all and they broke up. Robin stayed with Kevin though and their plan to run off together was put to rest. His final relationship before marrying Robin was with Quinn Garvey, and Quinn was the most dominant woman he was ever with during the show. From the moment they met she was beating him at his own game, and enjoying it too. They eventually fell in love, and it was a relationship no one wanted to mess with. Throughout the relationship we can see that she is very much into being a psychological power dom, and he's afraid of her possible punishments when he's been bad. However, they didn't trust each other and that ultimately led to the end of their relationship.

Ted - Switch - Leaning Sub

Throughout the show we can see that Ted's view of himself is one of a protector, and as mentioned by his friends he has a tendency of changing himself to match his relationships most of the time. However, when he actually has a long lasting relationship with someone he tends to be himself, and we can see that once those walls are broken down that behind them is a baby boy searching for a soft dominant. So, let's talk about his most serious relationships in the show. Starting with Karen, his relationship before the show, now I think that this relationship happened before he realized that he was a part of the community, and I also think that Karen was already aware that she was a dominant but she used his inexperience against him. We see him doing anything to make her happy, and her reveling in it. She's just a really bad person which is disappointing when she's played by an amazing actress. His next relationship was with Victoria, the girl he should've ended up with it weren't for Tracy, throughout their relationship we can see start to see his colors as a switch with leaning sub tendencies shine through. He takes on the protector role, but she has final say in almost every situation. Which worked for them, and they had a healthy relationship. Which makes sense since she is a switch leaning dominant. After they broke up, he finally got his shot with Robin that he always wanted, and this relationship was the first serious one he had where we can see how he's like as a submissive in a healthy relationship. He listens to her and respects her, and she never takes advantage of him. I honestly don't know what to say about their relationship I mean their dynamic is pretty obvious in the show throughout the times they're together. After Robin we had Stella, and this relationship is the first time we see him in a relationship that is a 50/50 switch style. There are moments where he's the needy soft boy that we've grown to love over the years, but he's also the protective dominant that stands up for her and her daughter when they need to be protected. Their relationship was healthy, but it ended in an unhealthy way when she left him at the altar. I think the scene that captivates their relationship in a nutshell is when he gives her the giraffe during his proposal. I think it captivates his soft side in comparison to his protective side at the same moment. His next relationship was his relationship with Zoey, and his relationship with Zoey started off being really unhealthy but it moved into something really sweet while it lasted. He was her submissive throughout their relationship, and we can see this through how she protects him and gives him routines to do that he follows. After Zoey we get the girl who we've been waiting for throughout the entire series Tracy also known as the mother. I love this woman. I love how she's a short dominant protector who has sass and a great voice and she's talented. He has his moments of being her protector, but overall he is her softy.