Online now
Online now

Rigger Books and Rope Advice

rosethorn​(sub female)
5 years ago • Dec 8, 2018
rosethorn​(sub female) • Dec 8, 2018
Something else to ponder or learn is how film and photos are edited, there are a few images on google that well... are not real and if they where to happen would cause serious harm. I find learning about anatomy and also film/ photo editing skills has helped me. Also before you put the knots on someone else you could just practice them on a short bit of rope not attached to anyone or anything. Classes can be helpful, but not everyone has access to them. Also regardless of classes you and your sub (both of you) need to take responsibility of using rope, that includes any sub knowing the correct placement and what to watch out for too.
WaterDominant​(dom male)
WaterDominant​(dom male) • Dec 8, 2018
The easiest way to protect both of you is to instruct the bunny to turn both wrist toward each other. That will place the forearms on the outside and protect the wrists. Also be careful of ties where muscle groups joint together such as the biceps deltoid and the thigh calf junctions.
WillowJ
WillowJ • Dec 8, 2018
I'm just starting out exploring rope as well. Based on some recommendations, I purchased basic cotton rope on amazon, not good for suspension or anything too intense because cotton has too much give, and started ties on myself. Youtube rope baby is where I started with self tying a basic hip and chest harness. The two knotty boys that Dr. Wakko recommended I've watched as well. I'm lucky that I live in an area and can get to some rope groups, went to my first rope munch this past week and it was great to meet others and get invited to workshops. I realize that isn't an option for you at the moment, but one of the things that came up was that each bottom/sub should at least learn a few ties on themselves. It allows them to learn what feels good for them and best placement of the rope. I've taken gross anatomy courses, but everyone is built just a bit different, so it really comes down to the bottom/sub to know their body and know what works best for them. Another bit of advice that I as given was to start off a bit loose and the next time do it a bit tighter, move the rope lines around to discover one's pressure points, and to not go tight until you know where the best placement of the rope should be on the body you're working on. Hopefully this helps from one rope newbie to another.
WaterDominant​(dom male)
Also basic cotton rope OS cheap enough to cut and not worry that you have cut something too expensive. You should always have EMT shears available in case screw ups happen and you need to cut. I was doing a demo of a spider web tie and the bunny started getting muscle cramps. I cut her out and gave the pieces away as momentous. Lol
DrWakko
DrWakko • Dec 8, 2018
If you are going to learn rope from the internet and or books I would look towards the pros on this topic. I would be looking for:
The Two Knotty Boys
Lee Harrington
Madori

If you google search rope books those three names will always pop up.

Between those three authors, rope classes and lots of practice you will do just fine in the world of rope.

All three authors are also presenters. They should all have websites with presentation / event dates. If they are in a city near you I suggest checking them out.
WaterDominant​(dom male)
J.D. and Dan (Two Knotty Boys) have both retired so I doubt they will be doing lessons (anything is possible, who knows).
Midori rarely if ever gave lessons. She preferred to stay out of the spotlight.
What I would suggest is Douglas Kent's Complete Shimbar Vol. 1 land and Vol. 2 sky. He breaks down the progression into a logical easy format that takes you all the way from simple ties to suspension.
When I was taught in Japan it was in small steps but there was no overall plan. You learned single column tie and you did an tie using it. You learned double column tie and you did a tie incorporating it.
When I was teaching classes I stole Kent's progression because it covered the basics and encouraged adaptation and originality.
Please seriously consider his work as I highly recommend it.
Bunnie
Bunnie • Dec 8, 2018
“If you are going to learn rope from the internet and or books I would look towards the pros on this topic.”

@ Dr... couldn’t agree more.
TheJackdaw​(switch male){Collared}
5 years ago • Dec 9, 2018
Agree with everyone so far about safety - goes without saying. So many people have recommended Two Knotty Boys - their Back on the Ropes book as rich with ties harnesses and fancy work, but most importantly the opening pages are all about safety and communication.