Online now
Online now

Halloween Horror Challenge

Zerospace​(dom male){Amalthea}
3 years ago • Oct 1, 2020

Halloween Horror Challenge

Hi folks! I posted this in my blog as well but I was encouraged to open it up to the general public.

A horror film podcast that I follow posted their 2020 Halloween Horror Challenge and this year, the rules are a bit different. Usually, October means that all the horror fans trot out a list of movies to watch, at least one movie per day. The lists usually include a bunch of classics (e.g. Dracula, Halloween, The Changeling, etc.) with some schlock mixed in for fun (e.g. Chopping Mall, House, Reanimator, etc.). This year, the challenge is a THEME per day and YOU get to choose the film you watch. It is very cool.

For some reason, this won't let me paste the image for the calendar so here it is, all typed out. The things I do for you, friends!

October 1 - Autumn Leaves
2 - Horror Comedy
3 - Anthology
4 - Clay/Animation
5 - Teacher Trouble
6 - Hail Satan
7 - Gothic
8 - Drac Attack
9 - Good Witch
10 - Bad Witch
11 - Ghosts Did It
12 - Creepy Crawlies
13 - undead, undead
14 - Shakey Cam
15 - Carving Pumpkins
16 - 80s Horror
17 - 70s Horror
18 - 90s Horror
19 - Masked Killer
20 - First Time Watch
21 - Black & White
22 - Genre-Bender
23 - Female Vampire
24 - Trick or Treaters
25 - For The Kiddies
26 - Musical
27 - Costumes
28 - Poor Teens
29 - Hex or Curse
30 - Were Woof (that's how they spelled it, not a typo)
31 - All Hallow's Eve

I encourage anyone who wants to participate to post their choices here. Also, if you are struggling to pick a movie on a certain day, reach out because I'll bet at least one of us knows what to recommend.

Today is October 1 - Autumn Leaves

My suggestions - Just about any John Carpenter film, Pumpkinhead, Trick 'r' Treat, Behind The Mask, House of Dark Shadows

The podcast also suggests Sleepy Hollow, The VVitch, Blair Witch movies, or Evil Dead 1&2 (not sure if Army of Darkness takes place in autumn)

My go-to on this theme is Halloween 4 because of its beautiful opening credits. But will I end up picking it? I don't know. Dark Shadows has been my jam lately...

Have fun and Happy Halloween, Cage Friends!πŸ§ŸπŸ§›πŸ˜±πŸ˜ˆπŸ€‘πŸ‘½πŸ‘»β˜ οΈπŸ‘ΉπŸŒšπŸ’€πŸ‘οΈοΈ
    The most loved post in topic
DaddiesPumpkin​(switch female){Not Lookin}
3 years ago • Oct 1, 2020
Thanks for turning this into a forum!! Really look forward to maybe hearing a few good movies I can add to my list!! πŸŽƒ so far, here's my first 6 days.

1st (Today) Pumpkinhead (1988)
2nd: Beetlejuice (1988)
3rd: Tales from the Crypt (1972)
4th: Nightmare before Christmas (1993) a bit more so on the animated side😍
5th: The Faculty (1998)
6th: Exorcist (1973)

Tis' the season, y'all!! icon_smile.gif
3 years ago • Oct 2, 2020
Ok. I'm seeing some "likes" here but let's start posting, folks! Participation! We want to play a game!

If you don't, Jigsaw won't be pleased. πŸ˜‰

So, after all the ideas I had for last nights "Autumn Leaves" movie, I switched it up and the last second and chose "Resident Evil" (the first one). For those doubters, check out the scene at the beginning when Alice leaves the house. She is standing in a corridor with leaves blowing wildly about, and that's when...no spoilers but the movie picks up the pace quick. Lots of autumnal scenes in the flashbacks, too.

Please share the movie you watched and how it counted for the Leaves category.

Today's theme: HORROR COMEDY!

SO many to choose from: Beetlejuice, Burton's Dark Shadows, Transylvania 6-5000, Dracula Dead and Loving It, practically anything written/directed by Joe Dante, Once Bitten...you could even go with a standard film with a wicked sense of humor, like Cabin in the Woods, Bride/Seed of Chucky, or Fright Night (either version).
Bunnie
3 years ago • Oct 3, 2020
Bunnie • Oct 3, 2020
Ok I’ll try to participate...
So, here it’s the 3rd.
I happened to watch Interview with a Vampire, which I guess could be anthology, couldn’t it?
Reminded me how much I love that movie anyway icon_smile.gif

Considering I am an absolutely huge fan of claymation or stop-motion animation, and puppetry, I was rather thrilled to see this on the list icon_biggrin.gif so for tomorrow, if I can find it, I think I’ll choose Coraline.
So for day 2, Horror Comedy, I watched Transylvania 6-5000. This is an extremely Goldblum movie, though I found it sadly lacking for laughs (my first time watching).

Incredible cast, but it was like a script was written by a bunch of tweens who had just finished their first 3 Stooges marathon. Even I, a fan of Stooges and '66 Batman, think it had too many slapstick gags.

Oh well. I am happy to have tried something new. Plus, the kitchen scene btwn Carol Kane and John Byner was pure BDSM comedy and I appreciated it more for my time on this site!
Welcome to October 3rd: Anthology Day!

This is one of my favorite subgenres. Soooo many to choose from!

Tales From The Crypt, Tales From The Hood, Creepshow, Tales of Halloween, Holidays, V/H/S (the first one is horror gold), Tales From The Darkside, Twilight Zone The Movie...I could keep going but I want to see what you folks come up with.

I also believe Halloween III: Season of the Witch fits here since John Carpenter and Debra Hill meant the Halloween franchise to be an anthology series after they killed Michael Myers in part 2.
3 years ago • Oct 4, 2020
October 4! Clay/Animation!

Not as many options here at first sight, but when you consider the stop-motion animation scenes and SFX of the 80s (see Elm Street part 3, Evil Dead 2, the first few Puppet Master movies), you have a lot more to work with.

Keep thinking outside the box!

Fyi, went with a new (to me) movie for Anthology Night: Ghost Stories (2017). British horror film that blended anthology style with a continuity story about a researcher challenged by his academic adversary/mentor. It jumped the shark at the end, but was still scary on the whole.

Share your choices!
DaddiesPumpkin​(switch female){Not Lookin}
3 years ago • Oct 4, 2020
I've been binge watching puppet master all day!! icon_smile.gif still sticking with my choice for Night before Christmas which I plan to start on here within the hour! I might actually have enough time in for one more good one, being & I'm not sure if it falls with the guidelines of the challenge but, The Book of Life, 😍 another good one on my list.