Online now
Online now

Chat Room (How Do Private Rooms Work?)

xVegetarianx
7 years ago • Aug 18, 2016

Chat Room (How Do Private Rooms Work?)

xVegetarianx • Aug 18, 2016
The chat room has a problem with private rooms. When we make new rooms, we are given the option to make them private, but when we make a new room that is private, we have no way to invite people into it.

Then when we hover over a user in a chat room, we are only given 3 options. (View Profile, Private Chat, or Ignore)
The Private Chat option from hovering over a users name in chat, only creates a new room with that users name on it, for one on one conversations.

So how do we invite people into any private rooms that we make?
Cage Monkey​(staff)
Cage Monkey​(staff) • Aug 18, 2016
The way it works is not very clear indeed.

When you start a private chat, it's a regular chat room, the only difference is that this room does not appear in the room list, so, in order for other people to get into that room they have to know its name, and then join a new room with that name. There's no invite system behind the scenes (pan intended) icon_smile.gif
xVegetarianx
So if they have to know the name, where do the type the name in to get to it?

I'm in Chat now if you want to test it.
Cage Monkey​(staff)
Cage Monkey​(staff) • Aug 18, 2016
In the open new room window.. that's the confusing part. 

Just to clarify, for private one or one conversation there's no need for a private room, you can just start a private conversation from the popup menu.

Can't come to the chat at the moment but will in a short while, if you're still there.
xVegetarianx
OK

Yeah, I figured out how to do one on one chat rooms by clicking on user names.

But If I make a new room that is private, I can't figure out how to get people into it, and they can't either.
Villanelle​(staff)
Villanelle​(staff) • Aug 18, 2016
We'll get Assaf on this - thanks for the heads up xVegetarianx!  It should be intuitive and not require a lot of figuring out.  We really appreciate the feedback and suggestions icon_smile.gif
xVegetarianx
I've got it mastered now. I wrote out some simple basic instructions just now, so that all the people I invite to the chat room, will know how to use it.

Here is what I wrote for the people I invited to check out the chat room.

---
For A New Chat Room, once you open the chat, and the lobby Chat Room appears, click on the plus + sign in the top right corner, and type in your new room name, and then click "OPEN".

---
For One On One Chat Rooms, hover over a users name in a chat room, and then select 'Private Chat' and you will then be able to talk with them privately one on one.

---
For Private Chat Rooms, once you open the chat, and the lobby Chat Room appears, click on the plus + sign in the top right corner, and type in your secret room name and make sure the little box is checked (the check box hides the room), and then click "OPEN".

If the room has not been created yet, it now will be and it will be hidden.

If the room already was created and was hidden, you will now go into it.

---
In chat rooms, you can use all of these emoji symbols
http://www.webpagefx.com/tools/emoji-cheat-sheet/

To turn on/off sound alerts, click on the gear symbol at the bottom right corner.
Villanelle​(staff)
Villanelle​(staff) • Aug 18, 2016
Thanks for putting this together - we'll be continuing to work on the function of the site and listening to your suggestions. We really appreciate it!