Online now
Online now

Sometimes it just makes me smile

Misanthrope
5 years ago • Jan 15, 2019

Sometimes it just makes me smile

Misanthrope • Jan 15, 2019
This isn't anything anyone needs to comment on, just a quick "life snapshot" that made me smile today, so I wanted to record it somewhere. I was walking to a meeting across campus and was passed by a group of undergrads chatting about something or other. I didn't pay it any attention as, well... it's a college campus and that's the norm. Then, as I was getting close to one of the administrative buildings, there were two male students standing there chatting. In Arabic. As I passed them, I walked up on two female students, one giving the other directions in Spanish. It was at this time I started to pay attention. Just before I reach the building I was heading towards, I passed three people, instructors/GAs all conversing in Mandarin. Finally, as I was walking back, I passed a group of Indian guys chatting with each in other in Telugu.

I know this is a common occurrence on campus, and probably a common occurrence on many streets across our country, but it still made me smile. Here I am, in a very small-town university in a very mid-western location, and I can still find enough diversity to make me think there is hope out there after all. Today has been a good day.
    The most loved post in topic
Grmpygoat
4 years ago • Aug 7, 2019
Grmpygoat • Aug 7, 2019
The fact that you recognized all those languages is awesome