Online now
Online now

(sub) drop

Kinkylocs​(switch female){Who cares}
6 years ago • Sep 5, 2017

(sub) drop

So, it seems that there's a fair amount of Dom's and even subs who don't know about a little thing called sub drop.

No, it doesn't happen with everyone.
Yes, it can effect more than just subs, and women for that matter (why I put "sub" in parentheses).
Perhaps you should consider if it's more than your sub just needing some "time off" or "less rules"

So for those of you unfamiliar, sub drop is very similar to a crash from a high. When we're playing, the intense stimulus that often comes from BDSM can create quite an endorphin rush. Well, as our brains settle back into it's normal flow of neurochemicals, this decrease in endorphins can cause depression like feelings, and may even lead to depression if not addressed by a sub or their Dom. For those of you familiar with the drug exstacy, it would be similar to the not-so-great feeling you get the next day.

This drop may also come about due to some of the more itense mental play, like objectification, degradation; humiliation, and then not getting enough aftercare, whatever that looks like for you/your sub.

It was suggested to me that a gradual decline of endorphins can be helpful in reducing sub drop, so things like reassuring touchs and words, soft cozy blankets, dark chocolate (cannabinoids), listening to some of your favorite music (maybe dancing around). Mostly, getting that reassuring feeling that even though this kinky time is over, you are a valued human being, who's feelings and mental well being is important.

And, sure, this may not be every person's needs after a scene, but I'd challenge Dom's and subs alike to evaluate what they're doing after a scene, how it's contributing to any post-feelings, and think of what they could do to assist in deminishing this drop.

But I am by no means an expert on the subject, just the occasional experiencer, so anyone with additional knowledge and tips, please chime in ?