Online now
Online now

forum editing

ThisIsTheWay​(dom male)
2 years ago • Jul 14, 2021

forum editing

ThisIsTheWay​(dom male) • Jul 14, 2021
can we get forum post editing, maybe it is already available but I can't figure it out?
but ive run into many instances when posting replies to forum posts where I misspell or want to reword something
MissBonnie​(dom female){oz}
2 years ago • Jul 14, 2021
IMO **post** editing* can change the context of a thread AFTER others have replied. The ability to change context after the fact, can get messy for moderators and leave posters, whom at the time post with good intentions, are left looking foolish when OPs are altered. I've also seen these type functions used to as tool to "set people up" to look bad.

if you just made a typo o a spelling error, is it really such a big thing? Just accept your not perfect and more on.No ones perfect and thats what makes a site just work!. No one really cares about a typo as long as the gist of meaning is understood. Additionally if a post isn't understood...isn't that what a forum is for? Discussion and to question?
By saying editing is needed...it implies those with bad spelling or grammar, learning difficulties, second languages etc shouldn't be using a forum that doesn't have the ability to correct (said the woman with Dyslexia! )

* some forums software allow for quick edits just after posting. I do believe that function is available here.
Some forums often have a ten minute or short term timed window to edit and posts often show that an edit has occurred to stop the above happening.
Personally even when that function is available, I always tend to say what I edited and why...for the above reasons.
I've also seen a lot here just re post a reply, quoting themselves and posting under it...what they "meant" to say.

Sorry if this reads as a rant, (not aimed at the OPs intentions) I'd just hate to see the cage suffer the same nightmares that I've witnessed elsewhere.
    The most loved post in topic
Miki
2 years ago • Jul 15, 2021
Miki • Jul 15, 2021
I don't know about thread-starting posts, but with follow up posts, there is an "edit" button visible along the bottom for a time after a post is submitted and the writer notices a screw up. I have used it many times.

But once there is a reply, and/or a set period of time passes, the button goes away and the post is permanent.

If a mistake is made that changes how your reply could be misunderstood, just follow up with another post correcting what you feel might be misunderstood-- or typos that change words into those you don't mean to write, etc.

PS I just used it to add this. But in general, it's a lot better to proofread what you wrote, either before posting or use the "preview" button to the left of the "submit" button.
Sasa​(dom female)
2 years ago • Jul 15, 2021
Sasa​(dom female) • Jul 15, 2021
I have to use the edit button very often... sometimes I write my answer into an email and try to check for mistakes and paste it. I know it sucks when we see something totally wrong later, but I agree with MissBonnie. For me the solution is "nice and slow"