Online now
Online now

How do you center?

Gaiawolf​(sub female){RogueWolf}
2 years ago • Oct 2, 2021

How do you center?

When I can't turn my brain off I write, can't tell you how many blogs I have hidden. I also read, forums, blogs and any book I can get my hands on. When it's really bad I stay up till its pitch black out and silent and just breath.

What do you do?
SubtleHush​(sub female)
SubtleHush​(sub female) • Oct 2, 2021
When I need to sleep, I have tv shows that I love and pretty much know by heart. I watch them and usually quickly I've closed my eyes and I just listen. Thank god for tv timers.

Music, writing, and reading energize me. So mindless tv is what works best.

When I need to read a lot of focus on Grad school, I play meditation music on youtube while I work.
Miki
Miki • Oct 2, 2021
Tried "mindless TV" but for me it's actually frustrating because not only are the offerings not in my wheelhouse for the most part, they're heavily infested with advertising, and if that weren't bad enough, the SAME ads are played over and over again.. some even repeated within the same "commercial break" separated by one, equally worthless ad in between.

Makes me want to hurl right on the living room floor.

So while I don't consider myself one who needs to "center" (Perhaps I use a different word for it) I do unwind and space out listening to Classical music, reading, and even writing, but not online shit, just writing for the sake of it, "watching" a story that starts in my head take on a life of its own and "write itself".

The relaxation is found within writing stories, enjoying how they unfold, -- and I revisit what I've written months or years later (and endlessly edit and edit again)---knowing none of it is meant for publication.

Oh, and none of it is erotic in nature, either.

Reading much less writing that genre doesn't fly my kite.
FearlessBrat​(sub female){H.PL.}
When one finds herself in such a state, the best solution for her is to put on comedy stand up.

It takes away racing thoughts in her mind. Allowes to concentrate on silly things aka resets your mind. Not to mention a good laugh is great for your body and soul.
Sasa​(dom female)
Sasa​(dom female) • Oct 2, 2021
My solutions are painting, writing, meditation, Yoga. Can't say it is always working to get me into the flow... Having a forest bath, being at the beach, starring into an open fire ... all helpful, also a simple nap. I don't want any distraction... what I need in case of having racing thoughts is a solution and that means observation and going right through the middle.
Gaiawolf​(sub female){RogueWolf}
FearlessBrat wrote:
When one finds herself in such a state, the best solution for her is to put on comedy stand up.

It takes away racing thoughts in her mind. Allowes to concentrate on silly things aka resets your mind. Not to mention a good laugh is great for your body and soul.

I hadn't thought of this before but it makes so much sense. I shall have to try it next time I'm having one of those days šŸ˜Š
Dressing​(dom male)
Dressing​(dom male) • Oct 2, 2021
When I can't turn my brain off, I force it to focus on something like an action game or such.

When you have to worry about getting those hit shots, or avoiding a demon trying to eat your head off, it becomes strangely easy to "dump" all unnecessary thoughts right out of your head.

But when I can't do that, I do what most other people here do. I watch something stupid, have music on or some lights as well. I also like to keep a fan turned on, as I find that the soft humming calms me down, and let's me concentrate on the noise instead of the noise in my head haha.
Bunnie
Bunnie • Oct 2, 2021
Driving on long, winding, coastal roads, or off-road mountain biking. These are two things I have found help so much, because the concentration required to navigate focuses my ā€œmonkey mindā€ enough that I can actually have an opportunity to address all the thoughts that get constantly put on the back burner because my scattery ā€œmonkey mindā€ is generally at the forefront stealing all the attention for itself.
Itā€™s pure bliss to find things that quieten that overthinking/overanalysing part.
Writing surprisingly doesnā€™t do it for meā€¦ it makes me think more and more and more. I used to believe that if I could just get it all out, Iā€™d find peace, but my mind just gets all excited and keeps creating more ā€œstuff,ā€ so I actually stepped away from writing so much, to settle it a bit.
Being in and observing nature helpsā€¦ be it in the garden, walking through a forest, walking along the beach or wading through the ocean. Anywhere where thereā€™s very little of the frenetic energy of human impact, and just the flow of natural life.
    The most loved post in topic
MissBonnie​(dom female){oz}
I walk or run and do what Bunnie mentioned..to quote her "anywhere where thereā€™s very little of the frenetic energy of human impact, and just the flow of natural life.". if that fails or the weather is bad I head to the shed and sand furniture. i love to restore old pieces. I tend to tune out doing this. Seeing the timbers change from beaten up to new like relaxes me. The sander drowns out everything else around me and I only have what is front of me ..Although taking a guess it might not "relax" my neighbors LOL