Online now
Online now

Classic films

rosethorn​(sub female)
2 years ago • Feb 11, 2022

Classic films

rosethorn​(sub female) • Feb 11, 2022
I was watching Wizard of Oz the other day and the special effects in it hold up so much better than digital. I was wondering what's your favourite film before digital special effects?
IronWorld​(sadist male)
2 years ago • Feb 12, 2022
IronWorld​(sadist male) • Feb 12, 2022
I was born right when cgi was starting so most sci-fi and fantasy used some in one regard or another. The oldest film in my collection is The Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn.

Part of me kinda wants a copy of the original War of the Worlds but neither that one nor the remake with Tom Cruise aged particularly well.
tallslenderguy​(other male)
2 years ago • Feb 12, 2022
Re non digital special effects that have stood the test of time?

One of the best i can recall is the parting of the Red Sea in Ten Commandments. Fast forward, Raiders of the Lost Ark had some great stuff, like the nazi who's face melted. Close Encounters of the Third Kind with the huge space ship landing was/is still pretty thrilling.
    The most loved post in topic
Miki
2 years ago • Feb 14, 2022
Miki • Feb 14, 2022
tallslenderguy wrote:
Re non digital special effects that have stood the test of time?

One of the best i can recall is the parting of the Red Sea in Ten Commandments. Fast forward, Raiders of the Lost Ark had some great stuff, like the nazi who's face melted. Close Encounters of the Third Kind with the huge space ship landing was/is still pretty thrilling.

The ten Commandments as well as other films made in that era was superbly done, given they had no digital special effects whatsoever. Oh there was some animation involved, but not like these days. The Planet of the Apes series also done without what they have now-- or even 30 years ago.

Side note: Ditto for old cartoons, especially the hand-drawn ones.. "Cartoons" today are either obviously cheaply made of have that too-realistic CGI look.

The ancient Warner brothers and Disney cartoons... The characters moved with such fluidity, had so much detail. Fast forward to stuff from the 1970s and even 1980s and their movements are stiff, the characters themselves kinda blocky.. Now the CGI cartoons-- Just my personal preference but they simply don't wet my whistle.