Online now
Online now

Collars

Spellbound Wytch{Mr. Parker}
2 years ago • Feb 22, 2022
Spellbound Wytch{Mr. Parker} • Feb 22, 2022
ButterfliesAndCuffs wrote:
Let people decide what they want to do in their own relationships. I don’t want to call anyone else out but there was a comment just recently about being pissed off about this thread because of people not placing the same importance on collars which you yourself agreed with. 😆
But you just DID call the other woman out and then me as well by pointing out that I agreed with her. Attempted disingenuity makes me uncomfortable.
ButterfliesAndCuffs​(sub female)
Spellbound wrote:
Let people decide what they want to do in their own relationships. I don’t want to call anyone else out but there was a comment just recently about being pissed off about this thread because of people not placing the same importance on collars which you yourself agreed with. 😆
But you just DID call the other woman out and then me as well by pointing out that I agreed with her. Attempted disingenuity makes me uncomfortable.

I didn’t want to call her out simply because her comment didn’t bother me. As I’ve said repeatedly, how others view collars makes no difference to me. How other people feel about what I wear makes no difference to me either. What I was pointing out was that you calling me out for vehemence while agreeing with that post reeks of hypocrisy. You keep claiming that newbies are insulting the traditionalists but I’ve seen none of that on this thread.
Spellbound Wytch{Mr. Parker}
Spellbound Wytch{Mr. Parker} • Feb 22, 2022
I didn’t want to call her out simply because her comment didn’t bother me. As I’ve said repeatedly, how others view collars makes no difference to me. How other people feel about what I wear makes no difference to me either. What I was pointing out was that you calling me out for vehemence while agreeing with that post reeks of hypocrisy. You keep claiming that newbies are insulting the traditionalists but I’ve seen none of that on this thread.
You need to scroll back in this thread then. It's an old one that somehow got newly revived. i suggest you go back all the way to the beginning and refresh your memory. Including your own challenging remarks you threw at *me*. I realize you are over the moon with the headiness of a newly established dynamic and that you feel free now to drop your former pretense of being pleasant and polite, though. 🥰
dollMaker​(dom male)

Re: Collars

dollMaker​(dom male) • Feb 22, 2022
Spellbound wrote:
Extreme snip for brevity and focus:

dollMaker wrote:
The reason for mentioning all this is to counter the idea of the golden age, universal, monolithic oneness that some try to push. It never existed and never will. These threads often reveal, people are not open minded or respectful enough to allow the, your kinks not my kink and that's ok apply, just as your lifestyle choices are not my lifestyle choices and that's ok, and that includes collars, uses and meanings. I think its just a fact that people involved in bdsm are no more nice, or kind, open minded to each other than in the vanilla world.

The huge irony in all of this is, as I mentioned above, is that some people want to try and force an orthodoxy onto people in an alternative lifestyle which is the complete opposite of an orthodoxy. Maybe this is part of the human condition, kink or otherwise?
You're always very vocal and vehement as though your word is the last that should be heard (much less considered). In YOUR world there may have been no standard or defined protocols but that does not mean that *no* one had them or adhered to them. You seem to believe that if you didn't experience something first hand that it absolutely and positively never existed - anywhere on the face of the earth.

I've been extremely careful to have never appropriated the "Old Guard" label in my descriptions of my own experiences and the folks and organized groups I've kept company with for over a quarter of century. I've used the term "traditionalist" - for lack of a better one - to express what once WERE uniformly accepted styles of presentation and protocol. I actually admire those early post WWII gay leathermen for their bravery and dedication to their chosen lifestyle and wouldn't stoop so low as to claim it as my own.

On the other hand, I've repeatedly seen - on this forum and in these blogs - those who go out of their way to sneer at and belittle those of us who dare mention our own experiences over the decades and then dare to tell us we never did have the ideals and behaviors we can personally speak of knowing on a *first hand basis*. So many are intent on demanding inclusiveness while deliberately badgering those of us whose own lifestyle experiences differ from their own. So many marginalize *us*yet angrily demand that they be unquestionably acknowledged as above reproach. The act of acknowledging differences isn't the issue. It's the sniping and denying that those who've been around more than two decades really DID mingle with a far different group than most here are accustomed to.

I did no such thing, I was very careful to acknowledge the experiences of individuals in their locales, and be respectful about that, nor did I say they didn't exist there, but that is all it is their experiences in their locales it was not universal, or wide spread, in USA or elsewhere. There is no such thing as a traditional 'uniformly accepted styles of presentation and protocol' orthodoxy, never was. I will stand by that comment, and in regards to your comments about leathermen, also incorrect, there was no universal one way there either.
cherilynn​(sub female)
cherilynn​(sub female) • Feb 22, 2022
How about I call myself out.

I stand by my former post. Feel free to comment and disagree as you choose. I have no issues with anyone.

Just understand that I won't be here to reply because I gotta go to work.

Be well.
IronWorld​(sadist male)
2 years ago • Feb 23, 2022
IronWorld​(sadist male) • Feb 23, 2022
cherilynn wrote:
I find it very sad that the collar has lost almost all significance in this lifestyle.

And velcro collars...
Don't even get me started. A collar is sacred; an outward acknowledgment of love, devotion, and loyalty to a Master or Dom. There use to be great pride in wearing a Master or Dom's collar.

I remember ye olde yahoo bdsm chatrooms. Nothing but wall-to-wall velcro. I blame, in part, the intoxication of the convenience of immediate gratification. Ultimately the environment was very toxic to the psyche.
Zelia
2 years ago • Feb 23, 2022
Zelia • Feb 23, 2022
I’m not sure it matters. It’s something that goes round your neck. It’s always been available as simple jewellery. Some people like play collars, training collars, collars of consideration, ownership… as long as people are aware of and can articulate what their collar means to them, and it’s a shared meaning with their partner, does it matter?

I have a dear friend who, after being hurt when her dynamic ended, decided to ‘own herself’. I guess she could have described this as ‘collaring herself’. Instead of wondering what the hell that meant I celebrated this period of healing and empowerment for her. A time when she could set her own rules to live by, take care of herself, relearn structure and discover what it was that she truly needed and wanted. I’d rather she did that than almost anything else.

I’ve another friend who is working through a system of earned collars with her partner. I think she started with a hessian collar. She’s one of the most sincere people I know.

As long as it works for the couple or submissive using the collar, I’m good with it. I don’t need their use of a collar to match my ideas or my own personal use for it to work for them.
salutexlovely​(sub female){{Owned}}
2 years ago • Feb 24, 2022

Spellbound wrote:
DrWakko wrote:
I have seen several profiles now with people wearing collars yet saying they are single and looking. To me a collar means that person is owned. I understand you can be collared and poly and looking for another partner, but these profiles don't mention they have other partners.

How does one tell the difference between a collar and a choker? I've seen locks, o rings on both collar and choker, so how does one tell the difference?

DW

I'm offering my own thoughts on this - as someone who's been around a few years. Collars don't hold the same significance they did 20 or more years ago. They seem to be treated as a fashion accessory and I'm even seeing a trend of people "self-collaring". Not sure how *that* works and I'm not inclined to research it. At any rate wearing collars no longer seems to have the same impact they had when I first started out and your confusion is shared by many I think. Apparently you're going to need to ask every time you run into this situation. icon_sad.gif

I think self collaring is like putting a wedding ring on yourself ...and sometimes I think it's a play for attention. Just my two cents , not diminishing self love or self respect.
Zelia

Zelia • Feb 24, 2022
salutexlovely wrote:
Spellbound wrote:
DrWakko wrote:
I have seen several profiles now with people wearing collars yet saying they are single and looking. To me a collar means that person is owned. I understand you can be collared and poly and looking for another partner, but these profiles don't mention they have other partners.

How does one tell the difference between a collar and a choker? I've seen locks, o rings on both collar and choker, so how does one tell the difference?

DW

I'm offering my own thoughts on this - as someone who's been around a few years. Collars don't hold the same significance they did 20 or more years ago. They seem to be treated as a fashion accessory and I'm even seeing a trend of people "self-collaring". Not sure how *that* works and I'm not inclined to research it. At any rate wearing collars no longer seems to have the same impact they had when I first started out and your confusion is shared by many I think. Apparently you're going to need to ask every time you run into this situation. icon_sad.gif

I think self collaring is like putting a wedding ring on yourself ...and sometimes I think it's a play for attention. Just my two cents , not diminishing self love or self respect.

With regard to putting a wedding ring on yourself or a play for attention I believe this is a result of thinking everyone’s view of a collar is the same. I think when someone self collars you have to ask yourself what the significance of the collar is for them, rather than assuming it holds the same significance for them as it does for you. Does it help them on their journey?
In a world where we are finding more and more disconnect, finding some middle ground in debate and learning to live with one another helps us to understand each other. Rather than close doors on each other’s ideas we can leave them half open.
What’s in someone’s heart interests me more than what’s round their neck and why it’s there.
A Cloud​(sub female){Owned}
I would like a velcro suit and a velcro room. Remember the fur room in Barbarella? Kinda like that but I also thought of a ride called the Gravitron ; it's like a magnetised spaceship.