Online now
Online now

Monogamy

moll​(other female){owned slav}
1 year ago • Jul 27, 2022
Knightsundere wrote:
Monogamy and Christianity unfortunately got some mutual exclusivity connotations going and as people slowly become less religious they likewise assume monogamy is another restraint to be relieved of. I had to double-check since it's a pretty old concept but no, monogamy is not something created and forced upon humans by western religion lmfao, here's your overview link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monogamy#Ancient_societies . Even if you don't like wikipedia, realize that if people were really so inherently promiscuous monogamy as a rule simply wouldn't have survived this long (if people were all secretly dying to be poly that would've been the barrier broken first, not homosexuality lol). Most people tend to get on with and prefer having one partner, which is only a remotely controversial thing to say on a bdsm forum. "Ooo western imperialism" yeah, well, the majority of the world seems to have thought it wasn't a terrible idea, so maybe there wasn't much resistance to the ideas of marriage in the first place.

I think in a couple decades once religious people become a minority things will start flipping back the other way and there'll be "good" reasons to be monogamous with someone again. Like if VR sex becomes easily accessible then hookup culture really dies down and you start dating people for practical and emotional reasons again.

The point of the OP was not about having multiple partners at one time, it was about the definition of monogamy being redefined from one partner for life to having one partner at a time. Bunnie was just asking me to qualify my point, which I did.

The fact remains that 3/4 of societies consider poly more acceptable than monogamy. As Judeo/Christianity spread across the world, so did the concept of monogamy. It does NOT mean that there were not monogamous relationships prior to the spread of Judeo/Christianity. Sorry, but it's a fact, but honestly....I'm going to take the word of the professor ...and text...of the Anthropology course I took in college and not someone quoting Wikipedia.

Oh...and Virtual Reality sex? Sex with another person via a machine? Yeah....because who wouldn't rather have sex with another person via a machine rather than actually having sex with another person.
Knightsundere​(sub male)
Knightsundere​(sub male) • Jul 27, 2022
moll wrote:

The point of the OP was not about having multiple partners at one time, it was about the definition of monogamy being redefined from one partner for life to having one partner at a time. Bunnie was just asking me to qualify my point, which I did.

The fact remains that 3/4 of societies consider poly more acceptable than monogamy. As Judeo/Christianity spread across the world, so did the concept of monogamy. It does NOT mean that there were not monogamous relationships prior to the spread of Judeo/Christianity. Sorry, but it's a fact, but honestly....I'm going to take the word of the professor ...and text...of the Anthropology course I took in college and not someone quoting Wikipedia.

Oh...and Virtual Reality sex? Sex with another person via a machine? Yeah....because who wouldn't rather have sex with another person via a machine rather than actually having sex with another person.

I never said anything about your post being on-topic.

"According to the Ethnographic Atlas by George P. Murdock, of 1,231 societies from around the world noted, 186 were monogamous; 453 had occasional polygyny; 588 had more frequent polygyny; and 4 had polyandry." Correct. These societies, however, do not make up the majority in total population. Again, if polygamy was so secretly revered by all in their deepest desires, I'm sure it would've been the majority opinion in at least one major religion. As it stands, even the strongest examples (Burkina Faso and Nigeria at 40% among Muslim households) see it as a relative minority https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/12/07/polygamy-is-rare-around-the-world-and-mostly-confined-to-a-few-regions/ .

Probably not you, but the swarm of horny men out there would likely drop their standards pretty quick. It's also not that bad conceptually, just an enhanced form of masturbation.
Atila wrote:
Wait, people that said that monogamy was imposed by religion... Culture is part of human's evolution. And it can affect our biology, including our preference. Studies show that species that tend tip to monogamy have less dimorphism between them, body size. If you compare human dimorphism today to how our ancestors were, it has decreased. By quite a lot. If I remember correctly, it used to be like 50% and it has decreased to 30 to 20 %. At the end, the argument of it being natural or not can be fought, but then we'll have to get into the argument of how natural it is to eat with cutlery. Monogamy per definition is quite clear, we should really just look inside ourselves and see what we want. At the end, that's what is important. Once you do, you can look for it.

Monogamy was imposed by Judeo/Christian leaders. For centuries the Catholic Church ruled over most European countries. Kings and Queens didn't make a move without the Pope's blessing.

Monogamy has a new definition...as stated by the OP: it used to be one person for life to one person at a time.
Atila​(sub female)
Atila​(sub female) • Jul 27, 2022
Knightsundere wrote:
Atila wrote:

I couldn't agree more with you. The story of how monogamy started is much more for practical reasons than religion like people like to say. To start with, if we see where it started it was with the Greeks, something later taken by Romans. So, the reason why it was extended with religion was because that was a practice during the Roman empire. It's a fascinating subject. And anyway, I never felt weird about wanting monogamy until I started coming to these forums and people openly attacked my preference. Like, seriously? I thought we were passed that. If you want to be in poly or monogamy, it's your decision. Live and let live.

I don't think it was even the Greeks, they're just recorded as having used it (in addition to the Mesopotamians, Egyptians, etc.). I'm quite confident asserting that it's just the natural post-civilization human relationship-state with a little bit of "well, everyone liked sex and probably had some affairs and some slaves" common sense mixed in.

Yes, there's some recording of if being used even before. But the historians think it was more about practicality than anything else, and people could have more that one wife and it wasn't frown upon. But when it actually became something used "socially", if I could call it that, it was with the Greeks. And that was because there something that we still use today was born: democracy. Some studies have shown that males are more aggressive when they have to compete for a mate. This does not exclude humans. Also, poly relationships before were mainly polygyny, so that meant less females available. So here comes democracy... Anyway, that's one theory from one historian with a mix of some more I've seen. But it really seems that was the point of inflection.
Atila​(sub female)
moll wrote:
Atila wrote:
Wait, people that said that monogamy was imposed by religion... Culture is part of human's evolution. And it can affect our biology, including our preference. Studies show that species that tend tip to monogamy have less dimorphism between them, body size. If you compare human dimorphism today to how our ancestors were, it has decreased. By quite a lot. If I remember correctly, it used to be like 50% and it has decreased to 30 to 20 %. At the end, the argument of it being natural or not can be fought, but then we'll have to get into the argument of how natural it is to eat with cutlery. Monogamy per definition is quite clear, we should really just look inside ourselves and see what we want. At the end, that's what is important. Once you do, you can look for it.

Monogamy was imposed by Judeo/Christian leaders. For centuries the Catholic Church ruled over most European countries. Kings and Queens didn't make a move without the Pope's blessing.

Monogamy has a new definition...as stated by the OP: it used to be one person for life to one person at a time.

It was taken to other parts of the world as part of religion, but it didn't start there at all. That wasn't how monogamy was born. And the social construct has had biological consequences. Culture is as much part of human evolution as sexual pleasure. It's not a construct you have to live by, and it doesn't even have to be religious. Even before, when polygamy was the norm, it's been learn that it's not true everyone lived like that, most lived in monogamy. And that was before religion.
Knightsundere wrote:
moll wrote:

I never said anything about your post being on-topic.

"According to the Ethnographic Atlas by George P. Murdock, of 1,231 societies from around the world noted, 186 were monogamous; 453 had occasional polygyny; 588 had more frequent polygyny; and 4 had polyandry." Correct. These societies, however, do not make up the majority in total population. Again, if polygamy was so secretly revered by all in their deepest desires, I'm sure it would've been the majority opinion in at least one major religion. As it stands, even the strongest examples (Burkina Faso and Nigeria at 40% among Muslim households) see it as a relative minority https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/12/07/polygamy-is-rare-around-the-world-and-mostly-confined-to-a-few-regions/ .

Probably not you, but the swarm of horny men out there would likely drop their standards pretty quick. It's also not that bad conceptually, just an enhanced form of masturbation.

Why do you think that the more heavily societies became so heavily populated? It's because people are migrating to the west at an unprecedent rate.
Knightsundere​(sub male)
Knightsundere​(sub male) • Jul 27, 2022
moll wrote:

Why do you think that the more heavily societies became so heavily populated? It's because people are migrating to the west at an unprecedent rate.

I'm not totally sure what you're saying here... if people are migrating to the west, I'm pretty sure they're not coming for the polygamy lol
Atila wrote:
moll wrote:
Atila wrote:

It was taken to other parts of the world as part of religion, but it didn't start there at all. That wasn't how monogamy was born. And the social construct has had biological consequences. Culture is as much part of human evolution as sexual pleasure. It's not a construct you have to live by, and it doesn't even have to be religious. Even before, when polygamy was the norm, it's been learn that it's not true everyone lived like that, most lived in monogamy. And that was before religion.

Of course society has an influence over biology.....ie...spread of disease/infection. That became more than apparent during the 80s when HIV/AIDS was making having multiple partners an issue until it was realized that using a condom prevents the spread.

Prior to the influence of Judeo/Christian societies monogamy did exist, I never stated it didn't, but it was not the norm. Even men that didn't have multiple wives, had courtesans/hand maidens/mistresses/etc.
Atila​(sub female)
moll wrote:
Atila wrote:
moll wrote:
Atila wrote:

Of course society has an influence over biology.....ie...spread of disease/infection. That became more than apparent during the 80s when HIV/AIDS was making having multiple partners an issue until it was realized that using a condom prevents the spread.

Prior to the influence of Judeo/Christian societies monogamy did exist, I never stated it didn't, but it was not the norm. Even men that didn't have multiple wives, had courtesans/hand maidens/mistresses/etc.

Again, not the majority and they did if they were well off. Polygamy has always been more often seen in men that had power and money. The rest of the humans had to make do... like always hahaha
Knightsundere wrote:
moll wrote:

I'm not totally sure what you're saying here... if people are migrating to the west, I'm pretty sure they're not coming for the polygamy lol

You are stating that western cultures, where monogamy is more acceptable, has a larger population than cultures where polygamy is more accepted. I'm stating the reason for the disproportion in population size. Since the 1960s, the migration from the East to the West has been unprecedented. In other words, more and more people are leaving societies where polygamy is more accept to a society where it isn't.