Online now
Online now

Forum Fightclub

tallslenderguy​(other male)
1 year ago • Sep 26, 2022
FlyingAlan wrote:
>>> Personally, I am of a belief that written responses are useless because they don't properly convey the subtle nuances of tone that we would use when speaking aloud to understand one another. <<<

My joke is there are 40 ways to say "Dude" Angry dude, happy dude, sad dude, etc... However in text, it's just 4 damn letters with NO sense of the nuances and inflections of tone. My rule is I will NOT have a serious conversation with my friends or lovers via text.

my thoughts went this direction too. Though i am a lover of the written word, so would stop shy of "useless."

While the oft (mis)cited Mehrabian research from 1967 that "93% of communication is non-verbal" has been subsequently debated in edu circles, it remains true that a great deal of communication, what ever the percentage, is tonal and visual. That is missing from the written word. Skilled writers use thousands of words to try and inject tone, while modern tech brings us short texts and emojis (thank goodness for clarifying lol and emojis). i despise texting for anything more than simple stuff like: "can you pick up large cucumbers on your way home?"

i think internet communication does a great job of identifying the gracious and mature vs and their counterparts. Then there's the times those opposites encounter each other. No one wants to look bad or be misrepresented, but i think part of the internet solution is to be willing to fold even when it feels like loss and humiliation. Funny, subs seem no better at doing this than Dom's, despite assertions about loving degradation. (that was tongue in cheek lol, icon_smile.gif )
Dom Pinnacle​(dom male)
Dom Pinnacle​(dom male) • Sep 26, 2022
As someone that has been in a couple Internet back and forths, it's part of the online experience. When one has beliefs that are in opposition to someone else, it can get ugly. The whole liberal, conservative fight is never ending, for instance.

Arguments happen and there's nothing wrong with that. But then some get downright disrespectful. That's no bueno.

Example of disrespect: hey idiot, who asked your opinion on women?

Example of respect: hey, why do you feel that way about women?

Tone is very apparent here.

But anyways, you definitely should add your point of view to an argument. It might cool the hot heads down. But the warning is that some people don't give AF. They want all the smoke.
balloonkotinsp
balloonkotinsp • Sep 26, 2022
I'm aware of the post that I believe this thread is referring to. As I have read a lot of it. Being somewhat new here, I can't speak for years past, but my experience here has been one of mutual respect amongst the members here. I do agree that the internet breeds this sort of thing. But since we all are advocates of something that doesn't exactly fall into the category of mainstream, and might be frowned upon by "they",we should have each other's back. I hope that the individuals in the middle of this ,somehow clear the air and find common ground. Much love to my fellow cageites.
MisterAshmodai​(dom male)
MisterAshmodai​(dom male) • Sep 26, 2022
You've got to admit, there is benefit in the forum conflicts.
Over time, you get pretty good at narrowing down the turning point.
As soon as (insert name here) posts their (usually) manifesto, it's mostly downhill from there.
MisterAshmodai​(dom male)
MisterAshmodai​(dom male) • Sep 26, 2022
It probably also depends quite a bit on the topic of any individual forum post. As much as we can argue about anything, certain topics really seem to bring out the circus.
A Cloud​(sub female){Owned}
RoseUndressed wrote:
It's like a family gathering at my parent's house.

I sit in the corner with a whiskey and a smoke and let it run.
My cousin has recently taken to joining me. His smokes are more interesting than mine.

Haha. Love this. Rose, your description paints the best picture. It reminds me of the movie 'The Royal Tenenbaums'. Love that movie icon_smile.gif
Ingénue{VK}
1 year ago • Sep 27, 2022
Ingénue{VK} • Sep 27, 2022
Many thanks to all for such varied, interesting, thought provoking and amusing responses. Lots of material to consider x
Bunnie
Bunnie • Sep 27, 2022
Somehow I feel like this thread needs more conflict…
Dom Pinnacle​(dom male)
Dom Pinnacle​(dom male) • Sep 27, 2022
Bunnie wrote:
Somehow I feel like this thread needs more conflict…

No Bunnie, No!!! I'm really a lover not a fighter. Unless I gotta protect my lady. Then I'm a Spartan warrior!!