Online now
Online now

Language is fun

kdramalover​(switch female)
1 year ago • Jan 18, 2023

Language is fun

I pet my cat daily. Spank that butt. Yes I’m talking about an actual cat. But isn’t language fun in how cat also means something else? Just a fun thought I had. Happy petting 😉
Miki
1 year ago • Jan 21, 2023
Miki • Jan 21, 2023
Spank a real cat much and you'll get your eyes clawed out.

Other than that, there are many animal references used to refer to other things, including but not limited to human behavior or appearance. To wit in a workplace setting, even these days, if there is a team member looking to advance by means other than merit, such as clinging too much to bosses and having loose lips, and they want you to play along and perhaps garner a perk or two a good response would be, "Sorry, I don't speak Weasel".
A shiftless team member might be "a dog" which connotes negativity whereas the now-older expression "Whaddup, Dog?" is a positive thing.

And of course in the underworld there are the ubiquitous rats who either cause a number of folks to take up residence in the can (that one has two side meanings).. Or the "rat" comes to an unhappy end, a la Whitey Bulger among others.

And sometimes I note that while "the can" most often refers to being a resident of "the house of many doors" sometimes "going to the can" means going to either sit and think, or shit and stink.

---------------------------------------------------------

But back to "cat", only "pussy" refers to female genetalia (I prefer Snatch myself) but "catty behavior" and "cat fight" tends to refer to when women don't get along and some men act in a similar manner.

The list can go on but as one who is not fond of "walls of text" I'll leave it there.
    The most loved post in topic
kdramalover​(switch female)
1 year ago • Jan 21, 2023
I have three cats and I still have my eyes for someone spanks them a lot. They like it.

I don’t know too much about workplace banter, but I do you know the social setting context of certain terms. Not much on rat and weasel.

I don’t pay too much attention to the negative as I get rather upset at their usage especially “pussy,” and“bitch.” If pussy were used in a positive manner like pussycat or and or in it’s literal fashion as genitalia Tallia then I’d be fine.

One of my favorite animalistic personifications is in regards to personality. Like telling someone they have “Golden retriever energy? 🤌🏾
I'mME
1 year ago • Jan 23, 2023
I'mME • Jan 23, 2023
Box, snatch, cunt, gnash, slit , pussy can all refer to a woman's genitalia.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Uh ohh, I may get into trouble... 🙄
Miki
1 year ago • Jan 24, 2023
Miki • Jan 24, 2023
@ I'mME----Nahh. Not with me anyway. I have a sense of humor and a thick skin. (thick skull, too but that would be a topic for another day)

Golden retriever energy? Hmm, probably makes a lot of sense to those who have one.

Weasel and rat are older terms I see are used by older/established workers. A weasel is one who snitches and sucks up to the bosses while a rat is also a snitch but the word "rat" connotes a lower form of scum than mere weasels. But both bear watching and avoidance even if one is not breaking any rules.