Online now

Masks

I'mME
3 months ago • Mar 9, 2024
I'mME • Mar 9, 2024
aradialspire wrote:
I'mME wrote:
sissy rosie wrote:
Well, I suspect I'm autistic (albeit with low support needs), so masking is part of the package. I've certainly had moments where I've turned down human interaction because I've been in a comfortable space and talking on the phone/via Discord would require me to move out of that. I'm still learning what's the mask and what's my genuine self, though.

In a more general fashion, we all wear masks to an extent and show parts of ourselves depending on how well we know the people we're with. I'm much quieter with people I don't know, than those I feel I can be more myself with.

sissy Rosie,
That is not a mask, that's part of your personality.

I think they're referring to "autistic masking", where a person on the spectrum will hide (either consciously or subconsciously) their autistic traits from others so they appear neurotypical. It's more of a survival skill/adaptation to avoid harm than it is a personality trait.

Aradial (auto correct wanted to make your name Radical, 🤣)

I understood sissie Rosie on that part. I see that I was not clear on my point.

When they are quiet with new people is the part that I believe is their personality.

Thoughts?

@sissie Rosie

Your thoughts?
I'mME
I'mME • Mar 9, 2024
aradialspire wrote:
I'mME wrote:
sissy rosie wrote:
Well, I suspect I'm autistic (albeit with low support needs), so masking is part of the package. I've certainly had moments where I've turned down human interaction because I've been in a comfortable space and talking on the phone/via Discord would require me to move out of that. I'm still learning what's the mask and what's my genuine self, though.

In a more general fashion, we all wear masks to an extent and show parts of ourselves depending on how well we know the people we're with. I'm much quieter with people I don't know, than those I feel I can be more myself with.

sissy Rosie,
That is not a mask, that's part of your personality.

I think they're referring to "autistic masking", where a person on the spectrum will hide (either consciously or subconsciously) their autistic traits from others so they appear neurotypical. It's more of a survival skill/adaptation to avoid harm than it is a personality trait.

Aradial (auto correct wanted to make your name Radical, 🤣)

I understood sissie Rosie on that part. I see that I was not clear on my point.

When they are quiet with new people is the part that I believe is their personality.

Thoughts?

@sissie Rosie

Your thoughts?
jildo
jildo • Mar 9, 2024
This should serious here. If you can’t turn down the mask after this long? Well, Mental Destroyer, continuing to hid behind his mask.
There should be a problem still here, anyway, then it won’t become nothing else. Oh, you must keep believing Yourself is ‘number one’.