Online now
Online now

Beware - Googlw indexes your profile and photos from this site

wolfweyoun​(dom male)
5 years ago • Oct 26, 2018

Beware - Googlw indexes your profile and photos from this si

wolfweyoun​(dom male) • Oct 26, 2018
I have taken my photo down and changed my profile because I found that Google indexes them and they ran highly in search results. I was horrified when I saw this. I suggest that if your Kink life is separate from your vanilla life, which a lot of peoples are, then remove your photos from your profile and replace it with something else so Google re indexes the replacement. Simply removing it will not work.

Just a friendly warning.
FabSeverus​(dom male)
FabSeverus​(dom male) • Oct 26, 2018
What’s the chance that someone type your username and found out about you are into kinky stuff?
But you have a good point and it should not been seen in google. Something to suggest to the monkey
I type mine and found out one of my pic was visible to the public ?
david zh​(dom male)
david zh​(dom male) • Oct 26, 2018
Again, the issue comes up.

I mentioned it to Monkey already but he has indicated that the signs are clear on the note about "public profile" of non-members.
He is right, it is clear but I think sometimes people don't know that images searches, face detection software exists.

I will mention it again with a ref. to this post.
FabSeverus​(dom male)
FabSeverus​(dom male) • Oct 26, 2018
I think when you run a website with sensitive information, the software or program running it should be safe and secure for his members.
Maybe a script that would make the pics not available for the public or non member but also not to google search. Is it not part of the privacy law?
david zh​(dom male)
david zh​(dom male) • Oct 26, 2018
@fabSeverus
In general, the challenge with running a public forum website with really sensitive information which is open enough to allow people from many different jurisdictions is that it is, that not only is it a minefield for outliers and exceptions but also that people are actually electing to publish data that is quite sensitive.

And while I know that this platform builder is aware of this issue, it might be a general rule to remind community members that publishing personally identifiable information on a forum, private, (consent oriented community or not), is likely to be a bad decision and should be discouraged.

Obviously, your idea is to assist the community members by automating the protection. This is a good idea but that might be taken even further with a specific feature that would ensure that the members could share certain things in a non-indexable manner, possibly even protected.

This is all important but always comes with a cost. I wonder if we could get a vote stake system going for feature suggestions?
dollMaker​(dom male)
dollMaker​(dom male) • Oct 26, 2018
The Cage is very much an open site, with active Twitter account, with tweets linked to the forum section and discussions of interest, there are PodCasts on BDSM on the front page, personals etc all of these designed to say 'Come look at The Cage'. The Cage declares loudly what it is to the world, and being on here, posting, blogs, pictures etc are all going to be searchable via Google and other search engines. So basically the Cage is not a walled private garden but an open public one that anyone can look at. I am surprised anyone thinks it is, there are places non members can't visit but for the most part its all in the clear.

I am constantly surprised by members recording audios and putting up face pictures because this place is so open, even more so when it appears members are using vanilla names. When thinking about this I have come to the conclusions that either they are out and proud and have nothing to lose regarding their vanilla life, or they haven't thought about the possible consequences of being outed, or they think this place is a private retreat.

The Cage does allow members to make their profiles and blogs non viewable by non members, but forum posts are in the clear, as are comments on others blogs who choose not to make them private. The thing is if you include a face picture in your avatar, even if you select the 'Show my profile to registered users only' option in your profile edit page, that will still be in the clear, whereas a profile picture would be invisible as only your name and avatar are visible to non members. So I would suggest not using your photo as an avatar, but as its not that hard to register here, and anyone can join I would suggest not using photos of yourself, or making an audio, even sharing personal details of location, age unless you are happy to be somewhat open about yourself. If privacy is an issue then its best to include nothing that can be linked back to you, and I would also go so far as to suggest a membership name that is not searchable, such as random letters and numbers. Anything actually word or name based is more easily searchable.

Select what you are comfortable with being seen by non members and tweak your profile to suit that. Keep in mind though that if you lock it down totally, to hide from Google then your presence here will be less productive if you are seeking to interact with other members as profiles, activity etc go a fair way to attract, aid interaction, and a blank profile and no site activity does not an interesting, attractive proposition make.
Cage Monkey​(staff)
Cage Monkey​(staff) • Oct 26, 2018
Thank you dollMaker, for a clear and accurate explanation of our philosophy.

I'm learning from this thread and other discussions we had about this topic that the concept of THE CAGE about public and private content - and the profile and blog options do not come clear enough to users through the current interface and thus leave room for misunderstanding and error.

We'll take this into consideration and update the interface to make things clearer for new and existing users very soon.
    The most loved post in topic
CK45​(sub female)
CK45​(sub female) • Oct 26, 2018
Lol...happy I found steel pipes (it’s a grade of steel I guess) and some big European truck.
Changed it just in case though.
I know it’s posted but, thanks for bringing this to light.
?
ThinkingBig
5 years ago • Oct 27, 2018
ThinkingBig • Oct 27, 2018
I am really glad to be told this and you sharing your knowledge, as many of us do not want to mix our real life with our bdsm/kink lifestyle or even curious interest or whatever is in between, so again thank you for letting us know and sharing your knowledge!

So I wonder if you are a premium member could a profile be only viewable by members of the site and not be picked up by search engine and crawlers? Or is it still out of the question even if one decided to upgrade?
FabSeverus​(dom male)
5 years ago • Oct 27, 2018
FabSeverus​(dom male) • Oct 27, 2018
Your username still in google search but if you go premium you have the option to hide your profile to the public