Online now
Online now

Rigger Books and Rope Advice

Bunnie
5 years ago • Dec 7, 2018
Bunnie • Dec 7, 2018
@ Dark Fox, as others have said... my first suggestion would be classes and skillshares.

As a rope bunny, it’s difficult for me to advocate “learning as you go” with something like rope. It’s not as “beginner bdsm” as many think... and the risks increase greatly once you shift from floor ropework to suspension. I just recently got reprimanded by my old rigger, for making a poor judgement call as a bunny, as to who I allow to put rope on me... trust doesn’t make up for skill level. Nerve damage is very real, and can be permanent. I was lucky, but a good lesson learned... it’s just as important for the bunny to have knowledge around anatomy and rope as well, so they can be aware of possible “red flags” to look out for.

Some suggestions I will make... get yourself a pair of medical grade shears, and always have them within easy reach. Keep them in your rope kit so that you always have them on hand.

“And with that, any suggestions for a good starting rope? Or something else I should try before going to rope, to make it safer for my love while I learn? ”

The rope that many tend to begin with because it’s cheap and easy to find is the stuff bought at your hardware store. It’s white (which means you can dye it if you want icon_smile.gif), pure cotton, slightly thicker than traditional rope used for floor ropework, and pretty soft against the skin of your bunny. Not the most ideal rope, but not a bad one to begin with.

I came across these links in regards to choosing rope:

http://epicrope.com/beginner_rope_buying_guide/

https://www.kinkly.com/2/13437/sex-tips/bdsm/how-to-choose-the-right-rope-for-bondage-play

http://www.erinhoudini.com/rope-bondage-types.html

I know this sounds weird, but invest in a big teddy bear to practice on. This way you can play around with things before trying them on your bunny.

Set up a safe word. Your communication needs to be impeccable. Any signs of numbness need to be taken very seriously... and your bunny needs to be willing to communicate to you any signs of discomfort (having gotten to know you both, I don’t see this as being much of an issue, however, it’s always worth mentioning).

Lastly, perhaps classes isn’t an option, however maybe it’s possible to find a Mentor who might be willing to do private sessions with you both (?) I personally would still try to exhaust all possibilities of finding someone to learn from in person. If not, go slow, be smart, have fun icon_biggrin.gif
FabSeverus​(dom male)
FabSeverus​(dom male) • Dec 7, 2018
looking at all the links we forgot that the op is a Domme, so it will be better to looking for a ropes/shibari for Domme on men. While some nerve points are the same, there is an extra part to consider too icon_wink.gif
There are few books on amazon, but also some websites where you could get tution online through Skype.
Bunnie
Bunnie • Dec 7, 2018
@ FabSeverus... I knew she was a Domme lol.
HuntertheYeenQueen​(dom femme){Allie Kat}
@Wakko, even though I thanked you in chat, thanks again for those suggestions!

@Severous, any possible links to those sites? If I can find someone to work with me online, I'm happy to try. I just... Can't do an in-person meeting, not til we go stateside again, I think. Too far of a commute to meet up with anyone who could possibly help (And those hotel stays would get expensiiiiiiiive haha). And possibly any titles you suggest on Amazon, or would you say they're all fairly good? My kindle app has been a Godsend while I've been over here haha, so I figured I would look there for rope books and probably something on anatomy too if I can. Takes so long for stuff to ship physically to me, I get impatient haha >.>

For everyone concerned about me trying this any time soon - I'm not. Until I know /way/ better what I'm doing, I have better knowledge on anatomy (Like I said I do have general knowledge, I know more than a lot might think thanks to schooling/hands on, but I didn't go farther than initial studies so I won't lie and say I don't still have some to learn) so I don't end up destroying my love's body in the process, things like that, I will /not/ be putting rope on him. I'm not planning to even start anything with rope for months at the very least. Just wanting to get a collection of resources I can use to learn from for now. While I'm very much intrigued by all of this and the thought excites me, I'm not willing to put my love at risk. Not at all.

@Bunnie, the bear suggestion is a good one. Most times I see people using sex dolls to practice on, and that just.. Made me uncomfortable, personally, haha. Not a fan of those items being in my house, they just weird me out ^^; So I didn't even really think about practicing on something else 'cause my mind was trying to accept that those items are the only way (Silly of me, I know). Just didn't occur to me. But, Wolfy did get me a big (Not quite human-sized, but almost there) bear one of our first Valentine's Days together... That would probably be a good test subject so to speak haha, while I figure things out. I will definitely keep that in mind once I feel i'm ready to attempt some things. And absolutely a safe-word would be settled on before hand (If we don't have one by then already), and communication on our part is huge regardless... If /anything/ makes him uncomfortable he would definitely tell me before it got worse, and any clues to discomfort will be addressed and dealt with immediately. Doesn't matter how far into it or how nice the rope, that crap will be destroyed just to get it off quickly if that's whats necessary. Ropes/toys/whatever can be replaced. A Wolfy cannot ❤ And it means a lot that you said you don't see that being an issue, I really appreciate the faith in us ^^ But I totally understand wanting/needing to mention it anyway. Sometimes people can allow trust to cause them to make unfortunate mistakes. Reminders are never a bad thing. The shears are a great idea as well, not something I initially thought of but for sure they will be in our stash and on whatever is right next to us when we do begin to use the ropes. One of us might have thought of it eventually, but thinking about it /now/ is much better. Might even buy a set soon, before I even think about buying a rope, just so it's here and waiting haha >.>

Everything will definitely be slow-going for us, for Wolfy's safety. I have no desire to rush, just a desire to learn. icon_smile.gif As excited as I am, his safety absolutely, 100% comes first. If it takes a couple of years to get to a point where we start then so be it. I'm prepared for however long it will take.

And if anyone on here /is/ an experienced Rigger and is willing to help me, through PMs most likely as I /do/ have a lot going on in my life which makes most things like Skype to be difficult, I'm more than willing to listen. Skype could possibly be worked out but it would likely be with my husband as most if not all of my free time is his free time as well, and it won't be too often unfortunately. But that would be discussed after we've talked for a bit, of course.
dollMaker​(dom male)
dollMaker​(dom male) • Dec 7, 2018
Talk to KnottyBear I think they are one of the more experienced and ethical rope people on here, and generally a nice person.
Bunnie
Bunnie • Dec 7, 2018
Agreed... @ KnottyBear is a great person to ask icon_biggrin.gif