Online now
Online now

Kink and health

MsTaraDactyl
5 years ago • Feb 7, 2019

Kink and health

MsTaraDactyl • Feb 7, 2019
How do you deal with health concerns while you're being kinky?

I have type 2 diabetes. Started a new med and had a low blood sugar (64) while at work last night. I know to get sugar ASAP when that happens, but I was wondering how to deal with it during play. Specifically, if I were really in the moment and didn't realize I'm dropping? Obviously my partners know it could happen, but what if they don't recognize it either?

I keep a blood sugar meter and glucose tablets with me almost 24/7 so it's easy to confirm and fix.

What are some tips to dealing with health issues while engaging in BDSM?
Zaramia​(dom female)
Zaramia​(dom female) • Feb 7, 2019
I'm hypoglycemic and have a latex and nut allergy. As a general rule, it's never a problem for others, and I manage it. I do have a sugar alert service dog, but he's not usually right there when I am in ropes.
The tool drawer (which gets packed with any travel rope and toys) contains the usual, gaff tape, arnica salve, trauma shears, bells, camera extra battery, etc, and then there's a juice box, Benadryl, and an epi pen.
It might be a little intimidating to a novice or new partner, but an experienced rigger, while they might not have actually used an epi pen, can probably figure it out if needed, without panic. It'a all just a part of safe, sane, consensual communication. If you don't both know what to do in an emergency - medical or otherwise, you might not want to get too crazy. If your rigger is cutting you out of ropes, you must remain calm - it's why we had fire drills in school.
My current Rope Guy is really so super good about checking in, and giving me a few seconds to check in with myself and answer, that I am possibly totally spoiled for anyone who is less in control of the situation when topping me.
He is acutely aware of any shakiness in me - that's a real thing - cold and adrenaline consumes the blood sugar fast.
We tend to preface play with a complex carb/protein rich snack (like cheese and crackers)- and end with a light meal. He's not distracted by hunger, and we can be pretty sure I am going to be stable for an extended period of time.
You have a responsibility to educate your partners and to give them the option of opting out of play. Not everyone is equipped to take it on, and they have no reason to be. There are simple signs that are fast- he says, "are you ok?" or "How is that rope on your arms?" and I need to be able to think it through and answer pretty quickly, or he starts untying. No words, or nonsense, is the equivalent of a safe word here. All play stops for that day, at that point. Safe and Sane - and you know, Consensual. I think I'm probably a lot less fun if I am actually unresponsive, rather than immobilized....
it's never happened, but I am very careful who I choose to play with, for that reason.
Anyone who really questions the need to have shit like trauma shears and first aid supplies near your bondage equipment is not someone I want to play with. Your mileage may vary, and you may be less risk averse in your play.
MasterBear​(other butch)
MasterBear​(other butch) • Feb 7, 2019
Great post!!!!

In my opinion we all have something.
But its rarely discussed.

Since the car accident I cant do rough body play like I used to. Also, my flogging is greatly affected.
I get headaches, vertigo, and nausea.

I sit now when I do a lot of play.
I never had to before.
I just have to be more creative.

Its frustrating. But it is also a wonderful challenge. I can play just as hard, just as intensely-- just different.

Honestly, what pisses me off is how I've had to work around my symptoms when it comes to sex.
I have to be a lot more careful with head movements and body positions.
You get my drift.....

Would love to hear what others have to say.
MsTaraDactyl
Thank you, Zara.

My partners have been really awesome so far. We use the traditional GREEN/YELLOW/RED and they check in not too much to be annoying, but just enough. We're all still getting to know each other, so we're taking it slow. They are far more experienced than I am and I look forward to expanding my knowledge with them.

I will get some juice to put in my bag, just in case. I know that's probably the quickest way to raise your blood sugar and far more convenient that glucose tablets in an emergency.

My body is used to running a blood sugar of over 250 most of the time and my new med is actually working, but last night was my first low in like 10 years. It was scary, but I knew what to do because my mom is type 1 and she gets hypo on occasion.
MsTaraDactyl
Yes, MasterBear, we all have something. My partners have their own issues. He has joint problems and she has severe back issues. I totally understand if they need to take it easy or stop altogether, and I know that they'd understand if I needed to, too. I believe you should be as open and honest as you can be with your partners. It brings you closer if you don't hold back.
Zaramia​(dom female)
Zaramia​(dom female) • Feb 7, 2019
MsTaraDactyl wrote:
Thank you, Zara.
I will get some juice to put in my bag, just in case. I know that's probably the quickest way to raise your blood sugar and far more convenient that glucose tablets in an emergency..

a juice box for toddlers is perfect because you can drink it from the straw before any ropes are even taken off - with untying or cutting, and you can drink from a straw upside down if you have to. it takes practice, but it's a skill worth having.... swallowing upside down. icon_wink.gif
MasterBear​(other butch)
MasterBear​(other butch) • Feb 7, 2019
For me, the conversation is easy to have. I don't struggle with communication.

The difficult part is my having to look at myself differently.

The struggle comes with not being able to perform like I used to.

Flogging was my go to for years.

I love rough body play.

Those things used to define my play in a big way.

Now I have to be less physical.

That is rough for me.
DrWakko
DrWakko • Feb 7, 2019
I suggest keeping medial items in an aftercare or toy bag at all times. Let your partner and DMs / hosts know exactly how to access them and use them properly. If you don’t feel comfortable describing how to administer your meds contact your doctors office and a medical professional can instruct your partner how to properly and safely administer your meds if needed.
    The most loved post in topic