Online now
Online now

Can anybody relate to their pride being hurt whether from work or from a relationship?

brattymom​(sub female){Owned}
4 years ago • Apr 27, 2020

Can anybody relate to their pride being hurt whether from wo

I seem to be able to relate to this especially today. I let my pride get the best of me at work. Background: I work at a fast food restaurant, currently with this coronavirus pandemic going on we are only doing drive thru and seem to be staying steady. I take pride in how I talk to customers I enjoy being complimented by my coworkers and being told that I sound to nice. One coworker said I sounded like a Disney princess (little me thrilled). So all of this in mind, a customer comes through with a big order and kept pausing long periods of time, so I kept having to ask "anything else for you today?" She gets to the window and starts complaining to me saying how rude I was to her. And that I was rushing her. Unfortunately for her my pride got the best of me and I responded back with "I'm sorry you feel that way" and shrugged my shoulders.
FloraDragon​(dom male){Roaming Wi}
Following many years of working in social work and training I decided I needed a complete and utter change and moved into retail as part of a very large supermarket chain in the UK, I now work for a large Charity raising money for a worthy while cause and not fat cats and shareholders. Don't do yourself down, I have trained colleagues on customer services, you sound like you have a very positive outlook on customer service and are doing all the right things, the problem being (and I am only imagining your set up), is that by working from a tannoy/radio system both parties miss the non verbal interaction: Eye contact, Facial expressions,Gestures, Posture and body orientation, Body Language, Space and Distance, Proximity, Para-linguistic, Humor, Touch, Silence, Personal Appearance, Symbol, Visual Communication. This we are all missing this in this period of lockdown.

I have a rule that within 10 foot of a customer they receive some positive interaction a smile of hello - this allows the opportunity to communicate deeper if the so wish. Some customers will not be so willing to communicate, one regular customer complained that I was not listening to her and did not answer her questions, (I had a witness at the time), she was wearing headphones with music which I could hear? She refused to take her headphones off so I walked away, as I was not going to communicate by shouting in a store. I think I am saying that there will be customers that will drive you batty, will say things off the cusp, and ther is very little you can do if they will not listen (or respond saying 'bear with me' in those pregnant pauses you experienced).

As long as you feel you have been as polite to them as possible, served their needs, followed policy/procedures of work (I am not going into a D/s discussion here, honesty), you have done all you could for that customer, and sometimes that apology you make may stick in your throat. I think you handled the situation as best you could, sometimes I deflect the problem, (transferring the problem back onto the customer mentally) thinking I have been polite and respectful but they have not, well that's their problem. I also say that the customer is always right until they have left the shop - then you can rant about them (but not in front of other customers).

Keep up the good work, fast food the treat many people need at the moment in this time of darkness and there you are doing your part. (Coming from a person who imposed a diet routine on himself.

FD
    The most loved post in topic
heartbrokengirl​(sub female)
I work at a hotel and I get my fair share of people who think that I am rude. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am probably one of the least rude people you will meet. I apologize for everything and am always friendly. I think an important thing to remember is that when other people are frustrated or having a bad day they can take it out on people that have not done anything wrong. You could have been the most helpful and cheerful person on the planet but if they were having a bad day or stressed they probably failed to notice it. I see nothing wrong with saying "I'm sorry you feel that way" I dont find it rude or uncaring. Their entitled to their opinion, so are you.
Don't beat yourself up or get defeated. Tomorrow is another day keep on with good work ethic and attitude. Unless that person comes to your work every day or regularly you will probably never see them again. Don't worry about it
brattymom​(sub female){Owned}
Thank you, it really put me in a sour mood yesterday and I couldn't seem to think of it any of way then I got rude with a customer who hurt my pride. I felt like a smartass for the response I made😅 I thank both people for their responses.