Online now
Online now

What Is The Hanky Code?

submissivehousewife​(sub female)
3 years ago • Aug 13, 2020

What Is The Hanky Code?

I was reading about the Folsom Street Fair (which is a dream of mine to attend) and I came across a video where a man mentioned the "Hanky Code" and how it is a big thing there. What is it and what does it mean?
DrWakko
DrWakko • Aug 13, 2020
The hanky code uses bandannas / shoe laces / bracelets to symbolize what they are looking for. For example a black bandanna out of the left back pocket means you are a heavy bdsm top looking for a heavy bottom, and in the right pocket it means you are a heavy bdsm bottom looking for a heavy top.

This was started by gay males to signal what they were looking for. It started off with keys and from my understanding the bandannas were originally a joke, but have become common place.

If you go to major bdsm events and even some local play spaces you will see people flag.

I will flag electrical top by having electrical tape hanging on rope or over my left pocket.
    The most loved post in topic
simplylaura​(sub female){djinni}
The hanky code comes out of gay leather tradition. Before the internet was a thing, gay men would wear different colored bandanas in their back pocket that signaled what they were into (s&m, watersports, fisting, 69, bondage, etc). Which pocket they were in stated whether they were bottom or top (right bottom, left top). Nowadays all genders can flag, but it's primarily seen in leather culture.

For example, I flag hunter green, black, and occasionally purple, all on the right. This means that I identify as a boi/boy, am into s&m, and like needle play, and am a bottom/submissive.

This website has what I believe is the most accurate and commonly used colors.

http://user.xmission.com/~trevin/hanky.html
AllOfMe​(sub female)
AllOfMe​(sub female) • Aug 13, 2020
Ohhhh.. this is the first time I hear about this I'm a bit excited (so interesting ) 🙂🤗 I never been to a place or event like that hopefully I will ..it's fun to learn new things /meanings about the lifestyle ..on the cage I learn so much 🙂🙂
Bunnie
Bunnie • Aug 13, 2020
@ submissivehousewife,
“the Folsom Street Fair (which is a dream of mine to attend)”... oh, me too!

Of course, the definitions offered above are much the same in Australia too, however, it has also been known for hats/baseball caps to be used in back pockets as well.

Within the rope community, it can be known that a Rigger will wear a specific rope tie on their wrist (I think left, from memory (?)), indicating that they’re a Rigger, looking for someone to tie... and a bunny wears one in the opposite wrist, indicating they’re a bunny, looking for someone to bottom for.

There’s codes and etiquettes all over the place! icon_biggrin.gif