Online now
Online now

Is there a difference?

slavebilly​(sub male)
3 years ago • Oct 4, 2020
slavebilly​(sub male) • Oct 4, 2020
For me it is a lifestyle because it's not snout the sex. Sex is incorporated into the lifestyle, not the other way around.
    The most loved post in topic
MariGold
MariGold • Oct 4, 2020
I agree with all of the above. I think those Instadoms who think it is just sexual are sadly mistaken. To me, I'd say it is at least 80% a mental state of mind and the sexual part is of course important but means nothing if the other needs aren't met.
The original Her​(switch female)
I'm a young academic who's breaking into the professional world, and I don't have the luxury of devoting my life to kink. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not in it for just the sex, but I can't have my partner live with me yet (partially because I'd never get anything done with him around), but I guess I see it as a "lifestyle" when you're fully involved with it in every facet you come in contact with. I understand it's a mindset, I know I'm not a complete newbie to this all, and the fact remains that I just can't have it dictate much in my life currently. As much as I wish I could, I need to focus on more important things such as getting my career to the place I'd like it to be. However, other people have the capability to have their life revolve around their BDSM situation, and I feel very happy for them because it's not an easy thing to do. It's highly demanding, and if you're breaking into some dynamics that involve someone not working, it can be challenging for one person to earn enough for everyone involved.

I believe it's more common and accessible to have BDSM as a sexual preference, especially for the younger population such as myself, because we're in the phase of needing to work hard on gaining notoriety, money, fame, and all of that other bullshit. I don't think I could ever go into having my preferences as a lifestyle as well, but maybe that's just because I'm so focused on where I am for my career and life goals, and where I'm aiming to be instead.
The Thinker​(sadist male){NotLooking}
"I believe it's more common and accessible to have BDSM as a sexual preference, especially for the younger population such as myself, because we're in the phase of needing to work hard on gaining notoriety, money, fame, and all of that other bullshit. I don't think I could ever go into having my preferences as a lifestyle as well, but maybe that's just because I'm so focused on where I am for my career and life goals, and where I'm aiming to be instead."

Gain notoriety, young academic.

-Advice from an old ex-academic

PS: Wonderful post. You are absolutely spot on. D/s as a lifestyle is severely limiting to other ambitions. Been there, done that, won't do it again.