Online now
Online now

Book recommendations

BigBubbles
3 years ago • Oct 10, 2020

Book recommendations

BigBubbles • Oct 10, 2020
I saw this elsewhere and really like the idea of it. If you could only recommend one book ever to someone, which book would it be? It can be anything. You can explain why or not. My book choice would be Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. First time I read it was in 6th grade I think. But having a mentally disabled child the book means something different to me now. Breaks my heart. So please share your recommendations below.
Alpha Wolfe
3 years ago • Oct 10, 2020
Alpha Wolfe • Oct 10, 2020
The Lord of the rings. There is full story book versions or three part sets.
Miki
3 years ago • Oct 11, 2020
Miki • Oct 11, 2020
Doctor Sleep.

If one is into Stephen King creeps, this is your book!
    The most loved post in topic
Little Matty​(sub male)
3 years ago • Oct 11, 2020
Little Matty​(sub male) • Oct 11, 2020
Orson Scott Card's Xenocide, there is definitely some weird stuff going on in this book (its science fiction) and its the third of four books following the main characher. The earlier books would definitely be good to know, but in only recommending one, I think Xenocide can stand-alone.

This book messed with me, had me relating and respecting one character in whom I could see traits of myself. It was all good at first, but by the end of that characters story, I genuinely had to reconsider my own perspective and drive in life. It was the first book to help me really understand the saying "Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth", and really gave me a respect for fiction writing, not that I disrespected it before, I just preferred non-fiction and didn't go out of my way for fiction books.
SageFlame​(sub female)
3 years ago • Mar 30, 2021
SageFlame​(sub female) • Mar 30, 2021
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.

" Everything about him was old except his eyes, and they were the same color as the sea and were cheerful and undefeated”

That quote slayed me and hooked me to the end of the book. The description instantly brought a real person to my minds eye. The quality of life has nothing to do with material possession. The man described was dirt poor yet undefeated. How many have all the cool stuff and are miserable.

There is also something refined about Hemingway's writing. He brings out the fine grains of life.
L a r s​(dom male)
3 years ago • Mar 30, 2021
L a r s​(dom male) • Mar 30, 2021
King, warrior, magician, lover.

Excellent introduction to Jungian psychology, excellent framework for understanding masculinity. It's not only fascinating, but in my own personal life and mentoring I have found it extremely helpful and healing.

Are you a lady? Well not an issue. It will help you understand half the population, and perhaps a significant other.

Short read too, very much to the point
Bunnie
3 years ago • Mar 31, 2021
Bunnie • Mar 31, 2021
Johnathan Livingston Seagull, by Richard Bach.