Online now
Online now

Words of regret

I'mME
1 year ago • Aug 17, 2022
I'mME • Aug 17, 2022
trixietrixster wrote:
Miki wrote:
Yeah that kinda blows, but it's the nature of the keyboard/phone-face beast.

I've never received anything offensive, although it's pretty hard to offend me, because, in part, not everyone on a given site is from the same area, or even the same country, so words are used differently. If something comes in that looks way off-the-wall I generally write back and ask the writer what they meant. If they're deliberately trying to be offensive, then they get the internet version of "click".

For myself, I just use bland, neutral-looking words that are hard to misinterpret.

A great point you bring up regarding different cultures and use of words!

I have some folks in various countries that I chat with, one is my mentor. English is a very difficult language, with conjugation, past tense, present tense, future tense. Then idioms, euphemisms, etc., just makes it a bowl of leftovers in the fridge. 😝
So miscommunication occurs sometimes, but it's been a good lesson for teaching me to and reminding me to ask what the meaning is. It's not always an easy thing to do, asking someone exactly what was meant. But I have never been one to shy away, because I if I am going to forge a -ship with another human being, then I have to be able to communicate effectively, and on the backside of that, be able to apologize when I make a mistake. Apologies are an art form in themselves, and doing it without having the aid of seeing the other person, bring able to guage their reaction, makes things that much more crazy.
So for me, someone who used to write very well, but for years quit writing, plus I do a lot of thinking about things, these things combine to make it difficult sometimes for my thoughts to be accuratly represented in black and white.

It really pushes dominants in particular, away. But to me this just means that we are not compatible. Words are important to me, they can potentially have the power to make or break someone.
Captiv8
1 year ago • Aug 18, 2022
Captiv8 • Aug 18, 2022
This subject is interesting to me. I see texting as a very poor form of communication…offering no form of the benefit of visual or audio cues. In fact it’s so poor that the availability of emoji’s became a thing.

Misunderstandings can be even more likely if you don’t know the messenger or recipient very well.

And then there’s the whole “some people are easily offended” crowd that practically wake up every day looking for a reason to be pissed off about something.

If what you have to discuss is meaningful or potentially delicate, or otherwise of importance, save it for in person, a phone call or video chat at the very least.
I'mME
1 year ago • Aug 18, 2022
I'mME • Aug 18, 2022
Captiv8 wrote:
This subject is interesting to me. I see texting as a very poor form of communication…offering no form of the benefit of visual or audio cues. In fact it’s so poor that the availability of emoji’s became a thing.

Misunderstandings can be even more likely if you don’t know the messenger or recipient very well.

And then there’s the whole “some people are easily offended” crowd that practically wake up every day looking for a reason to be pissed off about something.

If what you have to discuss is meaningful or potentially delicate, or otherwise of importance, save it for in person, a phone call or video chat at the very least.

A forum in this particular subset of individuals [BDSM, PE] is one can learn if they are able to separate out the minutiae. As a lurker myself, it's how I picked up on certain concepts [not my only learning place, but certainly one that allowed me to read at leisure, and actually understand some concepts that can be very subtle in the PE dynamic] But when the crapdemic became a thing, then online classes were a thing. Some organizations are still doing them, some are doing a hybrid type thing.
Sometimes some of us do not have anyone to tell something to whether it's on the phone, vid, or whatever.