Online now
Online now

Neon Wand

Chalybe​(dom male)
1 year ago • Jul 27, 2022

Neon Wand

Chalybe​(dom male) • Jul 27, 2022
I ordered one of these from a seller on the other side of the country. It appears USPS has lost it. When I search "neon wand" on a certain huge website, I see all kinds of women's "skin therapy" tools - non-kinky- that look exactly the same and are around half the price from "kinky" sellers. They even have the exact same attachments in the kit Are these the same thing as the KL offering?
If someone has bought the "womens skin therapy" tools I'd love to hear how that worked out.

Thanks
Chalybe
DrWakko
1 year ago • Jul 28, 2022
DrWakko • Jul 28, 2022
The neon wands are designed as a woman’s beauty aid since they aren’t very strong. It’s bigger brother/sister the violet wand was designed as a psychiatric tool and later was used to test medical grade glass for imperfections.

To the naked eye both the neon and violet wand look the same. They are both have a plastic shell and both usually come with glass attachments.

I personally recommend getting a violet wand and also getting a body contact. You will have a good time with a neon wand, but at some point you’ll want something stronger.

DW
dollMaker​(dom male)
dollMaker​(dom male) • Jul 28, 2022
Some history - required for clarity and understanding.

The term violet wand is a relatively modern one, and Donnie Rice is said to have coined it in the early 1990s, when he brought this type of electro play, and custom made toys, into broader kink awareness via his now defunct company Ero-tec. So violet wands as a term is incorrect in regard to medical devices that were originally designed for healing various ailments. While some may have used these to treat 'hysteria' (an awful historical misogynist pile of BS, and not legitimate psychiatric condition) these devices known as 'violet ray machines' not violet wands, were used by medical doctors and smaller less complicated sets and devices by the more well healed public to treat lots of physical issues/illness, in fact everything from aches and pains to hair loss, erectile dysfunction, infertility and cancer - a claim that saw them eventually outlawed, first by the FDA in USA, then world wide, except in Germany. Violet ray machines were a thing from around 1910 to the early 1950s, though in some places they continued to be made and sold, with the last powerful violet ray machine's sold in Australia, and well into the 1990s by a company called IFAS. In general though by the early 1970s most medical use violet ray machines had vanished.

In France and Germany two companies continued to produce violet ray machines -Holo Electron, Tefra- as they still do, but with reduced power. These were for use as high frequency treatment devices. A name change for identical technology as used originally, in part I think to get around any legal issues. The outrageous medical claims once made were dropped, and skin treatment became the thing. These were now used in beauty salons and by aestheticians - professionals, trained in there use - increasingly were found in more up market beauty salons and spas, as they still are.

As in all things cheaper products were wanted and professional use high frequency devices started being built in Italy, Japan, Taiwan and eventually in China, this followed a similar path to other electronic devices. Since the 1950s the trend was for violet ray machines to become solid state, the high frequency electricity being produced by non mechanical means, as the safety was greater, and cost cheaper to no longer use tesla coils, mechanical wagner hammers to create the power. Another simplification that had existed in the hay day of violet rays, with mixed results, was to put everything in a single hand held device, rather than a generator box attached to a handle by cable, were the glass electrode was fitted. In the 1930s an American company called Bleadon Dun had a hand held device, for medical use, most often called a BD10, but more on that a bit later.

Neon and Violet

Neon electrodes are not a new thing, they existed back in the hay day of violet ray machines, the only difference between violet glowing electrodes and neon, is the degree of vacuum within the electrode and what other elements have been used. Different coloured electrode back in the day were stated to have different healing properties, something the FDA and other medical authorities world wide disagreed with.

The majority of affordable violet ray machines electrodes glowed violet and it was only in more expansive and expensive medical sets that any neon or other colour glowing electrodes could be found, same is true for different coloured glass electrodes.

Kink

As I said earlier, it was Donnie Rice who brought violet ray devices into the kink play arena, though its possible that other kinky folk were using these for play before then, but most electro play kinky folk, the knowledgeable ones, acknowledge Donnie for everything that followed. He was first to modify a device for kink use, and create specific toys, including a body contact cable and conductive items. He sold these at conventions, then via his company, which ultimately ended up in an other persons hands, I wont though refer to them - those in the know will know why.

The device that Donnie pressed into service was called a tesla high frequency generator, used in school labs and as an industrial portable holiday detectors, also known as pinhole testers, porosity detectors, and spark testers. This was a modern tweaked (some safety elements removed, as it was no longer a medical device) version of the Bleadon Dun BD10. This device retained its mechanical function of its vintage 1920s forebears, and an issue that if the device was not held level or up a bit the wagners hammer would lose its ability to create power, hold one below level and unless its turned up higher than needed, the power drops off, not having it set higher, it stalls. Obviously for play use and to maintain power level it must be kept level, other wise the person feeling it will get more than previously felt, if it has been turned up to compensate for it pointing down.

Over time since the 1990s the ETP BD10 has become the more commonly seen at dungeons, parties (in USA, not as much outside USA) device until the advent of cheap Chinese, or Ukranian made beauty devices, which are solid state and not mechanical in how they work. Initially these were for beauty, skin treatments but some kinksters saw them as a cheaper more stable device for electro play. There was though an issue, albeit not for everyone, output power, the BD10 is more powerful than these solid state devices.

There is great debate about this, often it gets heated, with some saying that solid state devices are not suitable for kink use, lacking power for use with all the techniques - direct, indirect and reverse. In my view while its true some people require more power to feel enough, for them only, for others lower powered solid state is more than enough, for them. To cover all bases, having both is a a useful option. There are toy creators out there who have designed toys that because of how they are designed/materials used, they boost the sensation of solid state, to as high as that available from the mechanical BD10. These use a safety spark gap, an important aspect, never ever stick a non spark gapped item into any type of high frequency generator.

As Cage doesn't allow commercial links, happy to point you in the direction of that specific vendor.

Choices

Today there are a number of choices available.

1 Solid State Beauty - The Neon Wand you ordered, is exactly the same as other solid state high frequency devices in technology, and similar power output, the only difference is the supplied electrodes glow neon, not violet. That is the only difference, Neon Wand is a brand name, nothing more or less. Between the various solid state choices there is a possibility of different electrode size fittings, its important to be aware of that. I would avoid Ukrainian made ones as they use a 12mm electrode, and are, I am told, less powerful than most Chinese ones.

It is possible to use these with all violet wand play techniques, though as mentioned some people will need more output power for what they need.

2 Solid State modified Beauty for kink. One well know, reliable company, based in USA, offer modified solid state wands, with higher output power. These on the face of it look physically identical to some other solid state beauty devices on the market, and while some will debate this, they do have more power. The thing is they are more expensive than the more commonly available beauty devices. These are known as Dr Clockwork's, best option for these I think.

There are other kink vendor supplied brands out there, but generally they are felt to be not worth the money over Chinese sourced beauty wands, as they say others mileage may vary.

3 ETP-BD10 - this is the only modern option re a mechanical higher output hand held device. However, ETP does make generator and hand piece devices, but these are expensive, though run much longer than a BD10 which will begin to overheat after 15 to 20 minutes of use at high output. Best way to kill a BD10 is run it too long and too high, heat kills it. If you have the money buy an ETP BD50E heavy duty generator, much greater run time and next best option to a European vintage restored device - not as pretty though. You can buy BD10s from several sources, but the BD50 only from ETP, don't mention kink.

There are con people out there who will try and justify more expensive BD10s, stating longer run times and different cores, this is complete and utter BS. These BD10s have had their output adjusters tweaked with shims behind them to reduce operational adjustment, they run a bit longer because they run at lower power. If anyone starts talking about different cores, there are only solid state and mechanical designs that is how they work, the whole core thing is a myth.

4 Restored vintage violet ray machine. Not many people do this, these are collectables, antiques and increasingly way too expensive as an option. The best selection is in Europe, but over the last 7 years or so the prices of restored examples has trebled.

Hopefully the above will be helpful, about as comprehensive as I can make it without boring the pants of you.

dM
    The most loved post in topic
moll​(other female){owned slav}
DrWakko wrote:
The neon wands are designed as a woman’s beauty aid since they aren’t very strong. It’s bigger brother/sister the violet wand was designed as a psychiatric tool and later was used to test medical grade glass for imperfections.

To the naked eye both the neon and violet wand look the same. They are both have a plastic shell and both usually come with glass attachments.

I personally recommend getting a violet wand and also getting a body contact. You will have a good time with a neon wand, but at some point you’ll want something stronger.

DW

So the Neon Wand has a lesser charge than the Violet Wand? I looked up the prices and the Neon wand kits seems to be less expensive.
Chalybe​(dom male)
Chalybe​(dom male) • Jul 28, 2022
moll wrote:

So the Neon Wand has a lesser charge than the Violet Wand? I looked up the prices and the Neon wand kits seems to be less expensive.

That is my understanding and why I went with the Neon rather than the violet.
DrWakko
1 year ago • Jul 29, 2022
DrWakko • Jul 29, 2022
Neon wands run about $100
Violet wands solid state start about $150
Violet wand ceramic core start about $200

Solid state is a little less powerful but you can use it for hours

Ceramic Core are more powerful but over heat quicker. You can use it for about 30 mins depending. 30 min is about the run time for a ceramic core at room temp
moll​(other female){owned slav}
DrWakko wrote:
Neon wands run about $100
Violet wands solid state start about $150
Violet wand ceramic core start about $200

Solid state is a little less powerful but you can use it for hours

Ceramic Core are more powerful but over heat quicker. You can use it for about 30 mins depending. 30 min is about the run time for a ceramic core at room temp

I saw a violet want kit that was around $500 to $900. I guess those are pricey because it comes with a really nice case. Very expensive hobby.
DrWakko
DrWakko • Jul 29, 2022
You can find wand kits that run over $1000. It’s my experience that once you get comfortable with the wand you won’t use the glass pieces often. I use a body contact the most. You can also buy an Edison adaptor and attach light bulbs (they still work even if the filament is broken).
dollMaker​(dom male)
dollMaker​(dom male) • Jul 29, 2022
Such misinformation being presented as fact.

There is no such thing as a ceramic core. This is marketing BS originated by a person of dubious repute, who despite one of their companies now closed down, with many customers still to get their goods, continues to perpetrate the same BS through another company. There has only ever been two types of device, solid state and mechanical, that is it.

A neon wand is a high frequency device same as any other only difference is the electrodes supplied glow neon, thats the only difference. The same devices are also supplied with electrodes that glow violet. There is some variations in power output among these devices, there is not much in it. The market those are aimed at is beauty, skin treatments.

What is being presented as a whole different type of device is not, they are the same high frequency solid state device, but being supplied by a kink vendor, with a kink vendors name. I have compared some of these and found Dr clockwork modified device offers more power output than a non modified version of the same item.

Violet wand is a name given to high frequency solid state and mechanical devices by electro play kinksters, this is not some type of special separate from thing. Mechanical devices were known as violet ray machines, and the solid state version, which came later, were never know as violet anything because those types of devices were outlawed. These all generate high frequency electricity but differently, one does it mechanically the other does not.
DrWakko
DrWakko • Jul 29, 2022
Solid state has a ceramic core. The old style had wax. The wax would melt if you used it too long.

Needed to correct my error.