Online now
Online now

Shibari rope and tutorials

IntheWings
9 months ago • Jul 7, 2023

Shibari rope and tutorials

IntheWings • Jul 7, 2023
Hi there
Reaching out to my Aussie folks, what shibari rope is great for beginners? Jute vs Nylon? And what sites are best to buy from/ how many pieces are great to have for self-ties/partner play?
Also great online tutorials? I'm a fan of the University of YouTube, so much to learn on there but a short-list helps toošŸ˜Š
ribbonbaby{Guarded}
ribbonbaby{Guarded} • Jul 7, 2023
Well, I'm not Aussie, nor is this company, but they have excellent resources and ship all over the world too šŸ¤· The Twisted Monk is the name of the site.
Bunnie
Bunnie • Jul 7, 2023
@IntheWings,

Jute vs Nylon comes down to personal preference. Some people donā€™t like to do suspension with natural fibres because they believe theyā€™re not as strong as nylon, however, Iā€™ve only ever mostly done rope, both floor work and suspension, with Jute, and never had a problem. The bigger factor I believe is simply whether or not someone cares for their rope well. Natural fibres probably require a higher level of maintenance and care than nylon, so perhaps thatā€™s a factor for many. But some people love the ritual of caring for their ropeā€¦ almost like a meditation in and of itself. For me, itā€™s the feelā€¦ I prefer that slightly rougher texture. However, we canā€™t forget that Nylon allows for a much wider variety of pretty colours! So, if decorative self-tying is the path youā€™re thinking of going down, thatā€™s probably a factor to consider. Or you can mix them up! Even a trip to a boating store/bunnings can have you walking out with some pretty cool nylon/cotton rope to play around with for floor ties.

There are a few people I could recommend, however, as an awesome starting point I would suggest MistressJ-67 (on Fet). Not only is this woman someone I personally have a huge amount of respect for, she is well respected within the Australian rope community. Sheā€™s not only a supplier of rope that she is willing to ā€œput her name to,ā€ but she is constantly holding workshops and educating within the community. Her classes are awesome, and sheā€™s just a great human icon_smile.gif
    The most loved post in topic
IntheWings
IntheWings • Jul 7, 2023
MsDimples wrote:
Well, I'm not Aussie, nor is this company, but they have excellent resources and ship all over the world too šŸ¤· The Twisted Monk is the name of the site.

Thank you for your recommendation! I cam across this site. It seemed quite professional and like they know their rope and it's good to know it's tried and truešŸ˜Š
IntheWings
IntheWings • Jul 7, 2023
Bunnie wrote:
@IntheWings,

Jute vs Nylon comes down to personal preference. Some people donā€™t like to do suspension with natural fibres because they believe theyā€™re not as strong as nylon, however, Iā€™ve only ever mostly done rope, both floor work and suspension, with Jute, and never had a problem. The bigger factor I believe is simply whether or not someone cares for their rope well. Natural fibres probably require a higher level of maintenance and care than nylon, so perhaps thatā€™s a factor for many. But some people love the ritual of caring for their ropeā€¦ almost like a meditation in and of itself. For me, itā€™s the feelā€¦ I prefer that slightly rougher texture. However, we canā€™t forget that Nylon allows for a much wider variety of pretty colours! So, if decorative self-tying is the path youā€™re thinking of going down, thatā€™s probably a factor to consider. Or you can mix them up! Even a trip to a boating store/bunnings can have you walking out with some pretty cool nylon/cotton rope to play around with for floor ties.

There are a few people I could recommend, however, as an awesome starting point I would suggest MistressJ-67 (on Fet). Not only is this woman someone I personally have a huge amount of respect for, she is well respected within the Australian rope community. Sheā€™s not only a supplier of rope that she is willing to ā€œput her name to,ā€ but she is constantly holding workshops and educating within the community. Her classes are awesome, and sheā€™s just a great human icon_smile.gif

This is a stellar recommendation! I'll find her on Fet for sure. I reckoned it was about time I actually learned, I'd love to do self-ties to start, the pretty colours are lovely in the nylon and my skin is sensitive so the rougher jute might cause more discomfort than pleasure but I will try bothšŸ˜Š Thank you!
fluffypoppet​(sub female){Protected}
MsDimples wrote:

I'm also not an Aussie, but MsDimples knows what's up. Twisted Monk also has a Cut Rope Policy "Safety is a serious matter, and the Twisted Monk team is dedicated to your safety above all else. In the event that you have to cut your Twisted Monk rope due to an emergency, we will replace it for free."

*If you have to cut your rope for safety reasons you can let them know and get a replacement for FREEEEEEE.* Gotta love that!

I started with self-tie. I love compression chest harnesses- and I learned using YouTube too. icon_smile.gif But, I learned about Twisted Monk at an in-person class I found on Fet. Definitely recommend some in-person education. icon_smile.gif
IntheWings
IntheWings • Jul 7, 2023
fluffypoppet wrote:
MsDimples wrote:

I'm also not an Aussie, but MsDimples knows what's up. Twisted Monk also has a Cut Rope Policy "Safety is a serious matter, and the Twisted Monk team is dedicated to your safety above all else. In the event that you have to cut your Twisted Monk rope due to an emergency, we will replace it for free."

*If you have to cut your rope for safety reasons you can let them know and get a replacement for FREEEEEEE.* Gotta love that!

I started with self-tie. I love compression chest harnesses- and I learned using YouTube too. icon_smile.gif But, I learned about Twisted Monk at an in-person class I found on Fet. Definitely recommend some in-person education. icon_smile.gif

Hahaha I love the emphasis on FREEEEE* šŸ¤£ That's great to know that they take serious responsibility for their product. I will do my best to get in-person tutorials, I do learn better 1 on 1šŸ˜Š
Satindragon
9 months ago • Jul 9, 2023
Satindragon • Jul 9, 2023
I am not an Aussie either but you might also check out

https://www.theduchy.com/

My preference is Either jute or cotton.
Bunnie has lots of good info about rope.
IntheWings
9 months ago • Jul 9, 2023
IntheWings • Jul 9, 2023
Satindragon wrote:
I am not an Aussie either but you might also check out

https://www.theduchy.com/

My preference is Either jute or cotton.
Bunnie has lots of good info about rope.

Hello, and thank you so much for your recommendation! I am sorry if my question seemed to solely focus on Aussies, we have a huge support local culture so I wanted to know if there were great local shops/ providers to match the international shopsšŸ˜Š I appreciate all the advice and input, truly.