Online now
Online now

Favorite Board Games

SnowMinx​(sub female){Owned}
4 months ago • Dec 13, 2023

Favorite Board Games

I'm thinking of grabbing some new games for the holidays and maybe as gifts. I love board have. What are your favorites and has anything new caught your eye?

I love hungry hungry hippos with munchkins around.
Cards against Humanity is always great for laughs or a party atmosphere.

What do you think šŸ‘€
Sincorrigible​(sub female)
4 months ago • Dec 13, 2023
Sincorrigible​(sub female) • Dec 13, 2023
Sequence, settlers of catan, game of life, scrabble, labyrinth (relatively unknown, and absolutely brilliant for many ages).

Also, have to say that uno remains a favourite for all ages in our family. Uno flip is the kids latest fave.šŸ˜Š
Miki
4 months ago • Dec 14, 2023
Miki • Dec 14, 2023
Turned 39 last month but here I feel ancient.

I would like Old School games like the venerable Monopoly or less ancient ones like "Trouble!" (with the once-- might still be-- patented "Pop O Matic" )

Played that when I was a little kid. I can still remember that weird but very familiar noise it made.

I remember when some of the colored wooden pegs got lost by some kid not named Miki (It was an old game found at a tag sale or something, had wooden pegs)

Not to worry, my old man bought a wooden dowel rod and cut new pegs, all the same exact size, sanded them down " just so", and dipped them in whichever paint that matched the color of the "lost pegs".

Then there's "Operation!"-- the goofy game for dopey doctors" But of course I would miss out on all the sound effects.

Technically the last 2 are not "board games" so I'll throw in "Sorry" and "Clue"
    The most loved post in topic
IronWorld​(sadist male)
IronWorld​(sadist male) • Dec 14, 2023
Let's see. These days I've been back into pencil and paper rpgs. I'm trying to set up a one-shot adventure with space age robot characters rather than the standard fantasy medieval scenario. I've also been trying to get into Gaslands (you build your own mad max style vehicles from hot wheels cars). I'd love to build a WH40K army, but as always its obscenely, prohibitively expensive.

I've got two or three different types of monopoly (ghostbusters and Lovecraft off the top of my head), Clue Master Detective, Betrayal on House on the Hill (think Lovecraft meets Scooby Doo board game), and kind of a programming board game called Robo Rally.

I used to design custom poker decks too.
fluffypoppet​(sub female){Protected}
Guys, I am about to out myself as huge a tabletop nerd!!

- Betrayal at House on the Hill is so good!!!
- Iā€™ve played Catan but prefer Catan Junior (pirates!!!!)
- Uno is always good for any group or age.
- Trouble was my favorite game as a kid.

Some of my favorite games:
- Talisman (like fantasy monopoly it is a roll and move game which makes it easy to learn.)
- Blokus (a pretty colorful game with shaped tiles and simple rules and some strategy. Easy to take out and converse while playing.)
- Taboo (a word game with a buzzer. Certain words are ā€œtabooā€ and canā€™t be spoken but you have to get your partner to guess a certain word without using the common associated words as hints.)
- Tsuro of the Seas (like chutes and ladders or snakes and ladders but with more strategy. Good for multiple players and easy to learn.)
- Dead of Winter (basically like being in a zombie movie it is usually a cooperative gameā€¦ but there can be a saboteur)
- King of Tokyo (a dice game where everyone plays a Godzilla like monster)
- Smash Up (a card game pitting different archetypes against each otherā€¦ cowboys vs. wizards, aliens vs. princesses, zombies vs. ninja etc. requires some reading to play.)
- Survive! (Players must escape a sinking island into shark infested waters.)
- Guillotine, or Escape from Pompeii (both based on historic events which my bother some- theyā€™re kinda dark.)
- Santorini (set in the Greek island this is a pretty game putting gods against one another. It only plays up to 3 players though)
- Cash & Guns (a crowd pleaser with fake foam gunsā€¦ might need to be the right crowd though)

I could go onā€¦ but I donā€™t want to bore you. Hope you find good games!!! šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ„°
Steellover​(sub male)
4 months ago • Dec 15, 2023
Steellover​(sub male) • Dec 15, 2023
I was a huge Dungeons and Dragons guy years ago, but I haven't played in a long while and there've been a couple massive revamps and revisions of the rules since then. I think the last time I played it was still Second or Third Edition rules and now they are up to, I think, fifth edition rules. I'm sure it's the same basic idea, but probably a whole different game now. As a kid, though, I remember the classics, "White Plume Mountain," "Temple of Elemental Evil," "Descent to the Depths of the Earth/Vault of the Drow," and all those old modules, but of course it was fun to come up with your own plots and your own dungeon quests.

As far as traditional board games, my clear and undisputed all-time favorite would have to be "Talisman." Like a cross between Monopoly, Magic the Gathering, and Dungeons and Dragons- just a great game. Speaking of which, I used to love Magic the Gathering, but none of my friends play it anymore and I probably have my old decks stashed away somewhere in the back of my closet; some of those old early 90's vintage cards may even be worth something nowadays.

"Clue," and "Monopoly" are old classics and always fun to dig out, but then again, I can't get enough of good old fashioned Chess. I spend way too much time playing it on the computer, to where it's addicting. I'm not a good enough player to beat the expert level though. If I ever entered a chess tournament, I would probably get destroyed pretty quickly.
Varangian​(dom male)
4 months ago • Dec 16, 2023
Varangian​(dom male) • Dec 16, 2023
I do like Cards against humanity with the right mix of screwed up people (plenty in here) people who are screwed up and donā€™t know it yet (a few in here) and finally got to have the opinionated, pc, do gooder that is just learning how screwed up the people at the table really are and is losing badly.

The last time I played Uno was mid 2007. Before I continue I must say there may or may not of been drinking involved I admit nothing.
There was 10 players, 2 decks, 1 police helicopter, 2 police dogs, 5 Military police, 7 county sheriffs, 2 players went to the hospital from bitty puppies, 1 plump sheriff went also from giving foot chase, 7 players went to the the stockade, 1 player went to county jail a day later, 1 First Sergeant and 1 Commander got called at 3am, 240 soldiers were called in Sunday morning at 6am to be informed by 1 Sergeant Major that Uno was forbidden to be played by more then 3 players at any time in one location, that drinking and playing Uno is forbidden.

Why you ask. Someone forget to scream UNO he may or may not of been drunk. Another player was displeased in the other players short sightedness and careless disregard for the rules of the game may or may not of jumped across the table to share his concerns with the other player faux pas. He was definitely drunk.