Online now
Online now

Political differences

Literate Lycan​(dom male)
2 months ago • Feb 13, 2024
Literate Lycan​(dom male) • Feb 13, 2024
Yes. As long as all parties can remain respectful. We learn when we interact with those who have differing opinions.

But, I would add there is a limit to all things. Radical or violently different . . . Not so much.
SweetStarling
SweetStarling • Feb 13, 2024
I personally would. But I find it a huge turn off and red flag when people put political requirements on their profile. Seems very closed minded but that is me.
aradialspire​(dom femme)
aradialspire​(dom femme) • Feb 13, 2024
I like dealing with people who have different political opinions than mine, helps me keep my opinions healthy and in shape icon_smile.gif

I agree with Starling though! Anyone that has thought requirements for their partner is a no-go for me (unless it's anti-bigotry, then I can understand it; if you're a queer person and you don't want a partner that's a self-loathing queer person, that's just protecting your peace.)
milla​(sub female)
milla​(sub female) • Feb 13, 2024
This migh be narrow minded of me, but for me it would depend on the matter.
I find that even if I can respect different takes on issues, it’s harder to get past if there are core values involved.
    The most loved post in topic
Sincorrigible​(sub female)
Sincorrigible​(sub female) • Feb 13, 2024
milla wrote:
I find that even if I can respect different takes on issues, it’s harder to get past if there are core values involved.

This, for me. They only reason my husband and I have managed to stay together for 35 years (married 30) is that our core values, morals etc, are closely aligned. There is always room for difference, discussion, but at the end of the day, if you don't believe in the same coda for human existence and interaction, I don't think respect can be sustained.

I've certainly begun, and even sustained for a time, other relationships, with people who are quite different in their beliefs. But if the way you believe people ought to behave in the world is radically different, then it isn't going to last. This might be about tolerance, about money, about parenting, about politics or religion. About anything. But I believe you have to be in basic alignment about core values, which underlie all of the above.
fluffypoppet​(sub female){Protected}
milla wrote:

I agree.
Some things are mislabeled political issues that are actually about values.
I try to live a values-led life.

It upsets me sometimes when certain topics are on the table:
- bodily autonomy/consent
- censorship/freedom of speech
It also upsets me when politics brings out unkindness in either side.

Those things would deter me from someone for political reasons.
SweetStarling
SweetStarling • Feb 13, 2024
I agree that I most likely would mesh well with someone with vastly different values or morals. Good point that it depends on the issue.