Online now
Online now

D/s and mental health issues

MackDaddyRico​(dom male){❤️️❤️️❤️️}
@ shahh

What are you talking about?

I was responding to MasterBear's comment regarding disclosure.

Why are you accusing me of trying to hijack a thread?

I don't appreciate you attacking me in this manner.
shahh
5 years ago • Mar 4, 2019
shahh • Mar 4, 2019
Tala wrote:
They know their place?

Haha... I most definitely agree with this now! Cheers.
Miss Magdalena​(sub female){FreeSpirit}
5 years ago • Mar 5, 2019
What a great thread and great responses too! Mental illness and ascertaining one''s mental health at any given moment can be tricky I feel. As mentioned numerous times before, the discussion of being honest and informed is really important. I did however want to mention one thing, and working in the mental health field, it is something I see quite a bit of.

I think it's all well and good to fully disclose your physical and mental challenges, but I think it's a lot harder for a person to conceptualize a mental health illness vs a physical one. You could say to a person I suffer from these assorted illnesses or mental health related issues, but these things come in varying degrees and are different case by case. I get the sense that what Shahh speaks of is not about the diagnosis itself, but where the person is currently at in their life. If said person recently suffered from a breakdown, be they known to suffer from mental illness or not, it's fair to say that if that person met someone the next day they are likely not ready to pursue a new relationship. It's fair to say they probably need to focus a great deal on themselves and self care, to get themselves back to good again.

I am not speaking of people who are already in long term relationships with people who know and love them. Support is often necessary to get through any difficult time, but that is also not the time to take on more stress in one's life, if it can be helped.

Not only does it come down to disclosure, but it also comes down to responsibility. Yes, it is up to the person you're engaging with to do some research on their own regarding their partner, and the things they disclose. I think we are often naturally curious anyway. But as Tala said, it's up to the person in question to disclose very specifically what's going on with themselves, and paint a very clear picture so there is no misunderstandings. It's also up to those who are NOT diagnosed with a mental illness to be forthright and take responsibility for where they are in their lives. I would imagine that last one is a lot more difficult than admitting to a mental illness one is fully aware of and takes ownership and responsibility for. That's more or less just based on what I've seen though.
Darkmistress1213​(dom female)

Triggers

I have a list of trigger for my anxiety and depression. I would let my partner what subjects are touchy for me.
I try personally not get on meds for my mental issues as they have made me worst and uncontrolled in the past. I am trying to figure out myself with trial and error. I need a supportive and understanding submissive boyfriend. My last boyfriend could not handle me when I was depressed.
MasterBear​(other butch)
MasterBear​(other butch) • Mar 5, 2019
@Mack

I agree that meds dont work for everyone.
I also see all kinds of alternative treatment modalities that can be I individually successful.

The story I was telling was one I had watched in real time.

I agree that damage can be done both ways.

What I've seen in both my leatherwalk and my nursing career that there is more damage in the denial then the illness.

I dont disagree with boundaries.
Even if that means someone won't date another with a mental illness.

I won't date druggies or boozers.

Great insight guys