Online now
Online now

How to introduce rope into my collection.

MetalCage​(sub male)
4 years ago • Dec 3, 2019

How to introduce rope into my collection.

MetalCage​(sub male) • Dec 3, 2019
So, I've got a lot of toys. Probably not nearly as many as some of you collectors out there, but I've got a little bit of everything. Just about all my needs are covered: insertables, vibratey things, masterbators, plugs and so on. One kink that is completely missing, however, is rope and bondage.

I wanted to open this up to all the riggers and rope bunnies here to help solve this problem.

Where should I start?
What types of rope work well for strength, cleaning, etc?
What are some good rope lengths and diameters for different jobs and different body parts?
Any other wisdom or links you may have.
ropefish
4 years ago • Dec 3, 2019
ropefish • Dec 3, 2019
So I'm not the most experienced when it comes to rope but here's my 2 cents anyway. xD

Start with safety, safety, safety! From what I understand, rope is one of the most dangerous kinks in our world. Nerve damage is a thing. Understanding anatomy and blood flow is vital, especially if you're going to be doing any self-bondage and maybe won't have anyone there in case shit goes south.

I know there's a lot of literature out there on it... or, if you're like me, and you don't learn from reading, try to find a rope class to go to! Go on fetlife and find events, and look into the presenters and make sure they are reputable.

Also, while I haven't purchased from this site personally, I've heard a lot of praises sung about twistedmonk.com. They have starter kits as well as books and guides. The next time I get rope I'm planning on getting it from there.

Sorry to have offered so few specifics, but I hope this helps!
    The most loved post in topic
AKittenforSir​(sub female){JohnBond}
4 years ago • Dec 4, 2019
My Sir commented on a thread similar to this just a couple days ago and I think his answer may be helpful to you so I’m going to quote it below.

Feel free to PM him though. Talking rope is one of his favorite things to do and he’s helped many new people starting out.

JohnBond wrote:
I will make some suggestions here but if you have any other questions feel free to PM me!

I typed three pages of stuff up about rope types and sections before my kitten looked over at me and rolled her eyes. So I will just make a few recommendations heh.

Natural Fiber - (my preference)

I recommend 3-4 sections (hanks) of 8 - 10 meter (26-32 ft) of jute rope from MyNawashi (listed below). I prefer the 2 ply untreated rope but it requires a bit of work to break in (condition) but will be great afterwards. You really shouldn't wash jute though so if that is something you'll need then I might do hemp, cotton, or a synthetic. I tie with the same partner and just replace rope as necessary so it's not an issue.

You can Nylon (synthetic) as well as preconditioned Natural Fiber (Hemp and jute) from RopesByEDK for a decent price. I believe their hemp starts at $18 per 30 foot section for unconditioned and goes up from there. Broken and singed is typically how I use my rope and that's $21 dollars per hank of hemp from them and a bit less for jute.

Natural Fiber and Synthetic ropes tie a bit differently so you can look that up if you're interested or PM me and i'm happy to talk about it.

MyNawashi - https://www.etsy.com/shop/MyNawashi?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=213461080&ga_search_query=mynawashi
RopesbyEDK - https://www.etsy.com/shop/RopesByEDK?ref=shop_sugg

Safety -

Really any sheers will work. I have a very nice pair of RAPTOR sheers im fond of but they're not any better at cutting than the $12 pair with 2,000+ reviews from amazon.

Education -

I recommend videos for starting

Twisted monk - https://www.youtube.com/user/twistedmonkstudios
The Duchy - https://www.theduchy.com
Esinem - http://www.esinem-rope.com

Twisted Monk and Eminem sell DVDs as well I believe, Douglas Kent has neat little books too. The videos and then pictures on fet have been what have kept me going for the most part. I really would highly recommend trying to work in a work shop but if that's not feasible it's alright. Being a part of even an online supportive community will help though.

for books I like Better Bondage For Everybody but the Midori books here are great references too as she's an incredible rigger. She's featured in quite a few of the twisted monk videos I believe.

I hope that helps some!

-JB
JohnBond​(dom male){Kitten}
Twisted monk is wonderful but expensive!

I prefer 6mm diameters in any rope and prefer jute from my nawashi (my lovely kitten linked the post above me) and 8 - 10 meter (26-32 ft) sections

Hemp, nylon, and cotton are good cleanable solutions though hemp and (I believe) cotton, require a bit of work to dry so of the three I believe nylon is the easiest to clean. Jute is cheap enough to replace soiled ropes as needed usually.

It's very unlikely that you'll break a rope doing ground work, most 6mm ropes are good enough for suspension when tied properly so strength really isn't something terrible concerning in the bedroom. Hemp and jute tie rather similarly but nylon and cotton tie a bit different. so grabbing some sections and getting after it is the best way to go!

Nawa is correct with safety, please please please ensure you have a set of emergency medical sheers ON YOUR PERSON! they have some that fold up, or clip to your belt, or you can grab a clip and thread it through one, but it should be very quickly accessible when you tie. learning common nerve areas from watching videos and reading books is incredibly important, as well as becoming familiar with the signs of nerve impingement. Effectively communicating with your bottom when using rope is very important.

Happy rigging!

-JB
Shiruba Doragon​(dom male)
There's so much advice around, most of it good and valid. Here is what I do and use. I practise Shibari/Kinbaku, (Japanese rope bondage). I use cotton rope which is soft and kind on the skin. It is inexpensive and easily available. I buy it in 100 meter lengths un-dyed, cut it into 7 and 10 meter hanks. I use 6mm and 8mm thickness. Cotton rope takes dye well and I like to colour my rope. It is machine washable, I always wash my rope after use as I tie a number of different people. I will use six to ten hanks in a session depending on what I am trying to achieve.
In all things, safety is essential. Nerve damage is very serious and cannot be undone. Restriction of blood and air flow is equally dangerous. All of these issues can lead to fatality, BEWARE. Until you know what you are doing having had some competent tuition, do not attempt suspension. Do not tie tightly (It is not necessary to do so) always ensure that you can insert two fingers into any tie that encircles any part of the body. I make it a rule never to tie around the neck, accidents can and usually do happen. Never leave a tied person unattended. I always have a pair of ENT shears to hand. I have several pairs and they all live in their respective places in my play space so I always know where to reach out for them if necessary in an emergency.
From where you learn to tie is a matter of how you learn. There are a number of excellent books that will teach you the basics. Eminem does very good tutorial videos on-line as do a number of others. Be sure that you find a reputable teacher, be it book video or in person. Many riggers think that they know what they are doing and assume that they can teach, often they do not. There is no substitute for a good reputation, see what others say about your potential teacher.
My career with rope goes back 60 years and I have been tying people for the past 30. I love rope, it is one of the oldest and most versatile tools in our toolbox. I can rant on forever on the subject but that's enough for now.